Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 GTS - Is there a way to disable Sport+ mode

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 08:03 PM
Kayman
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 981 GTS - Is there a way to disable Sport+ mode

Hi Folks,

I am unable to put my 2016 Cayman GTS in sport+ mode since it came back from service. Is there a valet mode or some other way this could have been triggered? I also cannot disable stability control. PASM, Sport exhaust and Sport mode are all working as normal. I will take the car to the dealer soon, but is there something I could be doing to trigger this?
Old 01-09-2019, 04:43 AM
Kayman
Instructor

So, I took it to the dealer and they said something was wrong with the sport plus button and they are ordering me a new one under warranty. Weird! since it was working just the other day before my AC controller was replaced,.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:52 AM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

^ that is a bit odd, I had an issue with the temp control switch on my new-to-me Cayman. The down temp button was sticking.

The PO must have spilled coffee on the panel.. I took the climate control module out and took it apart, and carefully cleaned the button assemblies and membranes. Wasn't a bad job at all, I'm sure a dealer would just replace the unit.

Good as new now, based on how it's designed I can see how a sticky liquid could wreak havoc on the panel..

Old 01-09-2019, 01:24 PM
Kayman
Instructor

Originally Posted by saabin
^ that is a bit odd, I had an issue with the temp control switch on my new-to-me Cayman. The down temp button was sticking.

The PO must have spilled coffee on the panel.. I took the climate control module out and took it apart, and carefully cleaned the button assemblies and membranes. Wasn't a bad job at all, I'm sure a dealer would just replace the unit.

Good as new now, based on how it's designed I can see how a sticky liquid could wreak havoc on the panel..

LOL. I had the same problem with climate control, the PO seems to have spilled some liquid on the controller - apparently the left cup holder is notorious for spilling liquid on the climate control panel. I had the climate control panel replaced, when they did the replacement, the sport+ stopped working. Just the sport+, every other button works OK. They are replacing the sport+ panel now under warranty since there was no liquid damage and they just don't know why it is not working.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:36 PM
Voyager6
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If the other buttons are working then likely the panel is not bad. It can be removed and carefully disassembled and cleaned if liquid was spilled. Each installed switch presses down on a carbon-impregnated rubber pad that contacts a gold plated pad on a circuit board. Not much to go wrong as long as the carbon is not dissolved by the liquid.

All the buttons in the 981 center console, including the Sport + button are programmed in the PIWIS under the A/C control unit section. So the button programming is stored in the A/C control unit. In the PIWIS, there is a section for each button position and you assign a function to it. You can actually change the button order within each side of the button panel (Can't cross sides). This programming is just to get the butten panel to send the code out on whichever data bus the panel is connectd to. My guess is they messed up programming the buttons when they put the new A/C control unit in place.

However, once a button is programmed as part of adding a new feature (PSE, for example), the related feature has to be programmed to be available/work. However, the function enablement is not part of the A/C controller, so likely just the button needs reprogramming as I doubt changing the A/C controller removed Sport Chrono.

I could program Sport+ to my button panel, but the car won't do anything once the button is pressed (except perhaps light up) unless Sport Chrono is installed (which Porsche is not allowing to be retrofit).

V6

Last edited by Voyager6; 01-09-2019 at 03:53 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:54 PM
Kayman
Instructor

Originally Posted by Voyager6
If the other buttons are working then likely the panel is not bad. It can be removed and carefully disassembled and cleaned if liquid was spilled. Each installed switch presses down on a carbon-impregnated rubber pad that contacts a gold plated pad on a circuit board. Not much to go wrong as long as the carbon is not dissolved by the liquid.

All the buttons in the 981 center console, including the Sport + button are programmed in the PIWIS under the A/C control unit section. So the button programming is stored in the A/C control unit. In the PIWIS, there is a section for each button position and you assign a function to it. You can actually change the button order within each side of the button panel (Can't cross sides). This programming is just to get the butten panel to send the code out on whichever data bus the panel is connectd to. My guess is they messed up programming the buttons when they put the new A/C control unit in place.

However, once a button is programmed as part of adding a new feature (PSE, for example), the related feature has to be programmed to be available/work. However, the function enablement is not part of the A/C controller, so likely just the button needs reprogramming as I doubt changing the A/C controller removed Sport Chrono.

I could program Sport+ to my button panel, but the car won't do anything once the button is pressed (except perhaps light up) unless Sport Chrono is installed (which Porsche is not allowing to be retrofit).

V6
Wow... that's a lot of interesting info, Thanks! Maybe they will end up fixing it instead of replacing the part then.

Quick Reply: 981 GTS - Is there a way to disable Sport+ mode