Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 - Interference/squeaking/hissing while using bluetooth to make calls

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 02:24 AM
Kayman
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 981 - Interference/squeaking/hissing while using bluetooth to make calls

I just bought a 2016 CGTS which makes a weird hissing or interference noise while I am on a phone call over the car's bluetooth. The noise starts when I initiate the call by pressing dial, it stays active as long as the phone call is active and when the other party speaks the hissing spikes or increases. The noise is a combination of hissing, interference and speaking - almost like a dial up modem. The noise is strong enough to be very bothersome. This only occurs when I make call - the Bose audio works great and there is no noise when I just play music. As soon as I get a call, the noise resumes. The noise volume increases when I turn up the speaker volume and decreases when I turn it down, however turning the volume to 0 still produces some minimum sound that is annoying enough.

Is this a common phenomena? What should I do?
Old 01-08-2019, 06:31 AM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

I have not had this experience - on either CDR31 OR PCM. As a 2016, aren’t you still under warranty, why not just take it in & let dealer sort it out??
Old 01-08-2019, 06:31 PM
Kayman
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dom991.1
I have not had this experience - on either CDR31 OR PCM. As a 2016, aren’t you still under warranty, why not just take it in & let dealer sort it out??

I will, but I wanted to see if this is a common issue. It just came back from the dealer yesterday, don't want to give it back just yet.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:44 PM
Brent Berger
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaking

Hi I’m experiencing the same on my 2014 981S.

any solutions out there?

thx

Originally Posted by Kayman
I will, but I wanted to see if this is a common issue. It just came back from the dealer yesterday, don't want to give it back just yet.
Old 01-11-2020, 10:07 PM
Kayman
Instructor

Originally Posted by Brent Berger
Hi I’m experiencing the same on my 2014 981S.

any solutions out there?

thx
sorry, if there is a fix, I have not figured it out. The dealership replaced the mic and that helped for a couple of days. But then it came back in a week or so. It is quite annoying because it is so subtle that the dealership thinks it’s no big deal, but it drives me crazy.

I am going to switch my dealership with my next service and see if they do any better.
Old 02-19-2020, 11:33 PM
derklomp
1st Gear

I just bought a 2016 CGTS which makes a weird hissing or interference noise while I am on a phone call over the car's bluetooth. The noise starts when I initiate the call by pressing dial, it stays active as long as the phone call is active and when the other party speaks the hissing spikes or increases. The noise is a combination of hissing, interference and speaking - almost like a dial up modem. The noise is strong enough to be very bothersome. This only occurs when I make call - the Bose audio works great and there is no noise when I just play music. As soon as I get a call, the noise resumes. The noise volume increases when I turn up the speaker volume and decreases when I turn it down, however turning the volume to 0 still produces some minimum sound that is annoying enough.

I have this EXACT problem. I stream music and podcast over bluetooth and it sounds great, as soon as a call connects it sounds like my cell reception is really bad, but if I take the call off bluetooth and just on the phone it sounds great. It is something between the phone bluetooth connection through the car. Let me know if you found anything on this.
Old 02-19-2020, 11:55 PM
Brent Berger
3rd Gear

Well, I brought it in - they said that they made a few calls and everything was fine. They cleaned the microphone (located in the steering column) and gave me the car back. Its still unusable, but if I switch to the phone (speaker, pick it up, or use AirPods), it is great. A non issue - it is 100% a Porsche issue not a phone issue. I will bring it back... my suggestion is call your service rep from the car...
Old 03-24-2021, 07:23 PM
Hb991.1s
1st Gear

Default Bad blue tooth call

Same problem. Music sounds great. Phone quality over bluetooth just nasty
Old 03-24-2021, 07:33 PM
Brent Berger
3rd Gear

Yup - still completely unusable - I have brought it into the dealer several times now, they say it operates to standard.

I had a 2014 PDK 981S with zero bluetooth problems, I dumped that car for this CPO 2014 981S Guards Red 6speed and the bluetooth is just garbage on this car.
Old 03-24-2021, 09:46 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

Curious, do you guys have your phone plugged into the car USB charger port while this is happening? I had similar problems (not in the Porsche) when the phone was plugged in causing interference with the BT and radio reception.
Old 12-06-2022, 10:36 PM
Ryan.911
2nd Gear

Default Perhaps the solution...

Hello everyone. I'm new here, my first post but I wanted to chime in. I have the exact same issue on my 2015 911 and it's so annoying. Restarting the car, resetting the radio does nothing.

A possible cause... I have a key finder on my keychain (Samsung SmartTag+ to be specific). My battery on my SmartTag died, I know because I lost my keys and spent 3 days looking for them.. . during that time, I used the spare key without the Smart Tag on the keychain and the phone was fine on Bluetooth.

When I finally found my keys, the battery was completely dead on my Smart Tag and no issues again. I put a new battery in the Smart Tag and a few days later, the same crap with the phone on Bluetooth in the car with the phone (intermittently of course).

I also remember, when I got the car as a CPO, no issues. It started around the time I bought that Bluetooth Smart Tag for my keys.

Coincidence, possibly? I just wanted to throw that out there as I'm going crazy with this crap. I'm sure many of us have those key finders of various brand that transmit by Bluetooth.

Might very well be a coincidence but I thought to share to see if we can help determine the cause or eliminate this possibility.

Any feedback appreciated, thanks!
Old 12-12-2022, 03:16 PM
Ryan.911
2nd Gear

Default I believe I figured out the issue...

I posted a reply previously suspecting that my keychain finder tile (mine is Samsung SmartTag+) might be causing the issue. So I left it at home instead of bringing it in the car. Voila! The phone / Bluetooth to car is now perfect!

But wait...

I just got a new Samsung Galaxy watch 5. When my watch is connected via Bluetooth to my phone and I'm in the car, it's our static / interference sound when I make a call through the Porsche radio / Bluetooth. The moment I disconnect the watch from my phone's Bluetooth, I can make Bluetooth calls perfectly and crystal clear on Bluetooth again through the car. Clearly these Bluetooth devices are creating interference in the vehicle!

What a bummer! Especially with the tag on my keychain... like how do I leave that at home everyday?

I hope this helps. Firmware up to date on all devices. Any suggestions or workarounds would be appreciated!

I hope this atleast helps some to figure out this ridiculous issue.

Quick Reply: 981 - Interference/squeaking/hissing while using bluetooth to make calls