Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insurance Recommendations

Old 01-07-2019, 02:19 AM
john981
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 138 Posts
Default Insurance Recommendations

Hi, looking for a cheaper way to insure my car. A friend of mine is with american collector insurance and is paying for his 76 911 Targa 300 dollars per year. There are bunch of similar insurance companies for exotic cars which have decent rates (most consider boxster and caymans exotic enough). My biggest issue with most of these insurance contract is, that all you are allowed is only to drive around or go to car shows. If you want to go out and have dinner or on your way stop at groceries, they dont cover your car. Mileage restriction is no problem, since I dont drive that much. Are there any recommendations for insurance companies without big restrictions and decent rates?

thank you in advance
Old 01-07-2019, 03:20 AM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I’ve been happy with USAA insurance for a few years now, but I’m paying a lot more than $300 per year for my Cayman. That being said, rates obviously depend on the coverages/deductibles you elect and where you live - if you’re a USAA member, it might be worth pricing out a quote online.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:46 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

A lot of people like Hagerty for their weekend toy. But once I figured how frequently I intended to drive the car and the modifications it has, it was going to cost over $1k a year. Hagerty is great for track insurance, but I ended up putting my Boxster S on the same Geico plan I have for all my cars. I've never had the negative experiences with Geico that many others have.

All modifications listed for my 2008 and it's costing me less than $500 a year. It's listed as a "pleasure vehicle" with an estimated 5,000 miles annually, but I've never been penalized when I go over that.
Should note that my wife is also on my policy, no major tickets or accidents on our records, and we have 6 cars. A lot of factors go into the premium costs. It doesn't hurt to fill out a few instant-online quotes to get an idea of what might be cheapest.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:40 AM
blacksheepSpyder
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

Find a company that will do agreed value, State Farm won't. Cincinnati Insurance will. There are no rules that say all your cars must be on the same policy.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:02 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksheepSpyder
Find a company that will do agreed value, State Farm won't. Cincinnati Insurance will. There are no rules that say all your cars must be on the same policy.

State Farm does do agreed value. I have had an agreed value policy with them for many years.

https://www.statefarm.com/insurance/...e-classic-cars

Funny thing is the WEB paged referenced above states limitations on use but the actual declaration page for the policy does not. This could vary by state or region.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:16 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksheepSpyder
Find a company that will do agreed value, State Farm won't.
Originally Posted by il pirata
State Farm does do agreed value. This could vary by state or region.
I think it does vary by state. State Farm here in Dahlonega, Georgia wrote agreed value coverage on my '97 993 for several years. It was back when 993 prices were increasing seemingly on a daily basis and not only did they write the agreed value coverage, but they also automatically increased the car's value (and my premium) according to the current market each policy period. I have to say that I felt their premiums to be fair given that the only restriction on use was the that they didn't cover track use.

YRMV
Old 01-07-2019, 12:37 PM
Jacob Sami
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Contact Grundy insurance, i have my GTR Porsche and my infiniti, price is the best so far, i left Geico for them , they hooked me up with AIG insurance group. anyways i got this information from the GTR forums when i was looking for cheaper car insurance( many use this insurance ), Louisiana has the second highest in car and home insurance in the nation. sucks to be here. but i managed to get something decent.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:10 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

If you are eligible, I've always had great results with USAA.
Except for motorcycles - as their main customer base is younger males, their rates for bikes suck!
Old 01-07-2019, 03:30 PM
Libast
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

USAA was pretty high for my new to me 987- even financed it with them.
Old 01-07-2019, 05:46 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 782 Posts

If in California or Oregon, call Wawanesa. By far the best price around if you have a spotless driving record. Good service too, the couple times I've needed to make a claim.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:34 PM
Cane94
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SF does not insure for “stated value”, they insure for “market value”. IMO, you want market value, let’s say you bought a 83 911 turbo new for $47k and kept it until 2018 with 25k miles. All the time it was insured for market value. Today in 2018 destroyed by fire, what is a 1983 911 turbo worth today with 25k miles? That’s what you would get paid with market value. With stated value it’s like trying to hit a moving target. Stated value you are establishing price at time of policy inception, market value establishing price at time of loss. The Loss settlement clause in any policy will spell out how they will determine value at time of loss. Some carriers use the stated value as a starting point to determine what premium to charge for comprehensive and collision premium only but will settle on a market value at time of loss..
Old 01-14-2019, 10:18 PM
il pirata
Banned

Originally Posted by Cane94
SF does not insure for “stated value”, they insure for “market value”. IMO, you want market value, let’s say you bought a 83 911 turbo new for $47k and kept it until 2018 with 25k miles. All the time it was insured for market value. Today in 2018 destroyed by fire, what is a 1983 911 turbo worth today with 25k miles? That’s what you would get paid with market value. With stated value it’s like trying to hit a moving target. Stated value you are establishing price at time of policy inception, market value establishing price at time of loss. The Loss settlement clause in any policy will spell out how they will determine value at time of loss. Some carriers use the stated value as a starting point to determine what premium to charge for comprehensive and collision premium only but will settle on a market value at time of loss..
Please stop putting out information which is incorrect. There are many members on Rennlist who have Agree Value policies with State Farm, including myself.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:28 PM
Cane94
Track Day

Unless you work for SF your comment has no validity. Valid comments come from those with first hand knowledge. Sorry to disappoint you with info you did not want to hear and for what is accurate.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:40 AM
il pirata
Banned

Originally Posted by Cane94
Unless you work for SF your comment has no validity. Valid comments come from those with first hand knowledge. Sorry to disappoint you with info you did not want to hear and for what is accurate.
So your a State Farm agent and do not know about Agree Value Policies? Pretty funny. I had to have my agent show the regional underwriters the WEB page about Classic Autos and they had to call Bloomington. For future reference:

Endorsement 6171CJ ANTIQUE OR CLASSIC MOTOR VEHICLE (AGREED VALUE)

While I have been with State Farm forever, in spite of being a long term USAA member which by the way also offers Agreed Value, it is things like this which can motivate me to shop around.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:48 AM
Cane94
Track Day

There is a insuring agreement in every policy and loss settlement provision. There is no agreed value provision. Policies have state specific requirements per state statute. I would suggest reviewing the insuring agreement of the policy in relation to your specific state and you will find the example provided is a rendition as to how the valuation of a vehicle is determined. All accurate information.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Insurance Recommendations