Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are there any risks swaping steering wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 12:00 AM
john981
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 139 Posts
Default Are there any risks swaping steering wheels?

Hi,

Just got the new steering wheel for my 981 and was wondering if there are any risks/dangers especially with the airbag when you swap your steering wheel. There are many DYI instructions/videos which make it seem pretty straight forward. Has anyone here hear about any airbag issues/accidents or other problems after steering wheel swaps? I am still deciding if I do it myself or give it to my Independent mechanic. Dealership is out of question, they want 650 for the labor!! Thank you in advance,

John
Old 01-05-2019, 08:29 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

Always disconnect your battery before tampering with an airbag. But there is not risk of accidentally setting it off in your face.
Are you reusing the same airbag or installing a new one? The 987 doesn't matter, but I'm not sure if the 981 needs to be reprogrammed for a new airbag.

The airbag can be really tight, a few videos make it look overly easy. It's a workout, but it can be done!

Make sure all the electrical plugs are reconnected before hooking the battery back up and starting the car. Otherwise, you will get an SRS error message that can't be cleared with a standard code reader. Some of the higher end units can clear these codes, as can the cheap iCarSoft Por II handheld, which is cheaper than the code clearing fee the dealer would charge.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:48 PM
lotusfla
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when the dealer replaced my steering wheel they crushed one of the blue connectors so that the horn was stuck on after I used the horn. there is a channel in the steering wheel for the wiring for the airbag. make sure the wiring is in the channel when you place the airbag back into the steering wheel or you too will crush the connector.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:33 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,581 Likes on 604 Posts
Default Cayman S Steering Wheel Replacement.

A short summary of my 987.2 replacement process is here, including a few tips and observations.
Basically, a low-risk, high reward process!

Old 01-10-2019, 10:27 PM
john981
Rennlist Member

Thank you (and arigato) for all the tips. I decided to bring the car to my Independent Porsche guy, he swaps the wheel for 100 Dollars. Even though job sounds pretty simple and I probably could do it easily, I think 100 Dollars is worth the peace of mind to have it done by a professional. My Mechanic is really good and knows what he is doing and it sounded that he has done plenty of these swaps.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:06 PM
john981
Rennlist Member

Just wanted to report back. My Indy did the swap today in less than 10 minutes. I was shocked that he did it without disconnecting the battery, but he said that he has done it million times and the biggest risk is any static electricity coming from him! He is a certified Porsche mechanic, so I trusted he is doing the right thing but just kept a healthy safety distance :-) Everything went perfectly smooth, most of the time he spent was to go get his tools and align the wheel. It was also surprising to see that the alignment mark of the stock steering wheel didn't match 100% with the alignment mark of the car, so the mechanic replicated exactly the same off position. Afterwards we went for a ride to make sure that alignment was perfect and everything else worked properly and at the end he charged me 50 bucks! Could I have done it myself? sure, but I think the 50 dollars were well spent.

Last edited by john981; 01-12-2019 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:43 AM
HETPE3B
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

What nice original wheels are there for 987 with manual transmission? Base wheel look... well... thin and not fun at all.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:20 PM
bassie81
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

I found that you have to piece the upholstry to be albe to insert an object to unlock the mechanism for the airbag.

coming to resell the car you can see this way if the wheel has ever been remover. Some people will think it may be an indication for damage or airbag deployment.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:34 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Originally Posted by bassie81
I found that you have to piece the upholstry to be albe to insert an object to unlock the mechanism for the airbag.
On what wheels? Every steering wheel I have removed (Porsche or not) has a hole in the back/bottom to insert a screw driver.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:41 PM
john981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bassie81

coming to resell the car you can see this way if the wheel has ever been remover. Some people will think it may be an indication for damage or airbag deployment.

That is only the case when you use a second hand steering wheel. The hole of the new ones is still sealed.

@MyNameIdeasWereT : he is referring to the fact that this hole is sealed with the plastic and when you first time remove the airbag, you have to poke through the plastic to be able to put the screwdriver inside the hole.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:23 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Who the hell is checking the underside of the steering wheel for a 1cm hole when the car doesn't have any reported accidents or paintwork? I swear some of the daffy stuff that comes up on rennlist..

Potential buyer:

"Car looks excellent, nearly perfect... I'm ready to buy it but I see there is a tiny hole here in the bottom of the steering wheel, I always check for this right after I run my tongue along the underside of the exhaust outlets to see if there is any carbon deposit"
Old 01-14-2019, 08:43 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Originally Posted by john981
@MyNameIdeasWereT : he is referring to the fact that this hole is sealed with the plastic and when you first time remove the airbag, you have to poke through the plastic to be able to put the screwdriver inside the hole.
Ah, that makes sense.
Though a good percentage of the Porsche owners I have spoken with have upgraded their steering wheels... So I wouldn't let this be a scare for the resale value. A serious buyer in the market will appreciate what they're buying.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:11 AM
jeffm
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 34 Posts

Over the years, I have removed and/or replaced at least a half dozen steering wheels. They all have had a release point (small round hole) in either the bottom of the wheel, or in one case, one on each side. I have never seen this hole covered from the manufacturer.

Back to the OP, the wheel looks great! If my Indy only charged a $100 for this service, I would probably take him up on it during my next service appointment.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:06 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,581 Likes on 604 Posts

I have removed wheels from delivery km cars, and purchased brand new wheels direct from Porsche - none have had their airbag spring removal port punctured.
Depending on how violent the puncture is, the holes often self-heal as the material is quite pliable.
There is however also an indentation a few mm wide (not 1cm), to assist location for cover piercing, and this may also look like a hole.

As other's have noted though, who cares?
Hole or no hole, it matters zero.

As a side-note, a screwdriver is not the best tool to try and engage the release springs simply due to surface area and alignment, a 4 or 5mm hex extension is much easier and safer, as it avoids the slipping off the spring if not on the right angle issue.

Last edited by Kuro Neko; 01-15-2019 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:18 PM
jimfuerst
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts

I changed my stock 997.2 steering wheel to the Porsche Sport Steering Wheel last month. I bought the new wheel from Suncoast. The new wheel did have a little plastic cover over the indent for the airbag release. We had to pierce it to readjust the wheel. It was very easy to change the wheel, but I had to bring the car to the dealer to reprogram the computer to recognize it so that the readouts in the wheel for sport/sport plus/launch control light up when those functions are activated. The paddle shifters worked fine without the computer upgrade. The steering wheel swap was very easy.

Quick Reply: Are there any risks swaping steering wheels?