Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vacuum line/AOS question

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 11:31 PM
850tgul
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 298 Posts
Default Vacuum line/AOS question

Hi All,

Last weekend I was installing the SOUL valved exhaust on my 987.2 (have had the exhaust on for awhile but never hooked up the valves) and had to play around with some of the vacuum lines. Porsche uses hardish rubber tubes which inserts into larger, more flexible connector tubes for the vacuum lines that run underneath the intake manifold and up to the vacuum canisters? on the back of the manifold. They glue the tubes together. Well, one came separated underneath the intake manifold and so I had to re-connect them. I just stuck them back together and they are somewhat snug but should I be gluing or maybe putting a small zip tie around the connection or will the snug fit with no extra securing measures suffice? I am not sure of the pressure these vacuum lines experience.

My second question, somewhat related was that I, like many, noticed a bit of oil inside the intake manifold, throttle body tube, etc. There was enough present that it must have seeped through that there was some residue on the top of my engine. Looked like it had been there for awhile and wasn't fresh. I have never experienced any issues from this and when I mentioned to my mechanic recently he said there will always be a little bit of oil in the intake and it's nothing to worry about. I was thinking of just replacing the AOS for piece of mind given it's not too expensive. What is the consensus on how much oil is too much oil and would it be prudent to replace the AOS?

Thanks
Old 01-08-2019, 01:55 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

I would make sure the line is secure, otherwise you will end up with more oil on the top of your engine and possible a rough idle due to a vacuum leak.

If you do not have smoke on startup, then don't bother changing the AOS. YMMV.

Quick Reply: Vacuum line/AOS question