Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newb with lots of Boxster (981) Questions (cross shoping with C7 Corvette)

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 04:38 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by WalterMitty
Please confirm these wheel options. I believe the Cayman to have 20" 911 Turbo style wheels (is that thing gorgeous or what?!?), and the Boxster to have 20" Carrera Classic style wheels.
Correct on the wheel styles.

I have the Turbo wheels on my BGTS.
Old 01-04-2019, 05:04 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Man, wheels are so subjective. I have the carrera classics (and Apex 18's) and don't really care for the classics but love the Carrera S wheels.
Old 01-04-2019, 05:21 PM
WalterMitty
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
Correct on the wheel styles.

I have the Turbo wheels on my BGTS.
Can you share a pic?
Old 01-04-2019, 05:34 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Can you share a pic?
No, I don't drive around with the spoiler up. I put it up while washing and drying.

Old 01-04-2019, 05:37 PM
WalterMitty
Track Day

No, I don't drive around with the spoiler up. I put it up while washing and drying.

Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing. I think your pic solidified my decision on those wheels. What year is your BGTS? Looks like Red interior too.
Old 01-04-2019, 05:55 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing. I think your pic solidified my decision on those wheels. What year is your BGTS? Looks like Red interior too.
Thanks!

It's a 2015. Lots of good options. Manual, X73, PTV, full Garnet leather interior, ventilated 18-way seats, carbon fiber interior package, etc.

Took 9 months of daily shopping to find it.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:07 PM
WalterMitty
Track Day

This one looks like a cousin to yours (but it's only an S).

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=224207314

I'm very tempted by it. But I'm still wondering about color. Triple black (I thought) was the goal. Also, ideally it would have the Chrono, Cooled Seats, and the sport exhaust.

I think I'm getting close to my must have list...

Must
2014 or 2015
S or GTS (the GTS is probably more then I want to spend)
Turbo Wheels
Heated Seats

Still deciding between Must & Nice to Have:
Cooled Seats
Chrono
PSE
Headlights (still researching all the options here.. Not sure if the PDLS is the same as Bi-Xenon or whatever)
Old 01-04-2019, 06:41 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

This one looks like a cousin to yours (but it's only an S).

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=224207314

I'm very tempted by it. But I'm still wondering about color. Triple black (I thought) was the goal. Also, ideally it would have the Chrono, Cooled Seats, and the sport exhaust.

I think I'm getting close to my must have list...

Must
2014 or 2015
S or GTS (the GTS is probably more then I want to spend)
Turbo Wheels
Heated Seats

Still deciding between Must & Nice to Have:
Cooled Seats
Chrono
PSE
Headlights (still researching all the options here.. Not sure if the PDLS is the same as Bi-Xenon or whatever)
Everything you listed above (and then some) was a must for me. They are out there, but you have to be patient.

The ventilated seats are why I ended up with a Porsche in the first place. If my Miata had factory ventilated seats I never would have looked at Porsches in the first place. But oh am I glad I did!

Depending on your climate, the ventilated seats might be a must-have. Once it tops 83 degrees the Miata is a no-go. The Boxster? We've done six hours with the top down in 100 degree weather and gotten out at the end fresh as a daisy. And that is southern humidity heat, not Arizona/Nevada dry heat.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:49 PM
WalterMitty
Track Day

Everything you listed above (and then some) was a must for me. They are out there, but you have to be patient.

The ventilated seats are why I ended up with a Porsche in the first place. If my Miata had factory ventilated seats I never would have looked at Porsches in the first place. But oh am I glad I did!

Depending on your climate, the ventilated seats might be a must-have. Once it tops 83 degrees the Miata is a no-go. The Boxster? We've done six hours with the top down in 100 degree weather and gotten out at the end fresh as a daisy. And that is southern humidity heat, not Arizona/Nevada dry heat.
Thanks for all the replies. I'm in the Chicagoland area, so heated seats are a must. I want to drive with the top down as long as I can stretching into late Fall and early Spring, and I also plan to drive it during the winter with the top up. My Lexus and my wife's QX both have heated seats and steering wheels and man are those nice. When the seats and steering wheel are heated, you almost don't need the heater in the winter. But we also have some pretty hot Summers, so the cooled seat would be nice as well.

Exercising restraint will be hard. There are a lot of tempting options that are close, but not what I exactly want.

Last edited by WalterMitty; 01-04-2019 at 06:50 PM. Reason: typos
Old 01-04-2019, 07:07 PM
algiorda
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for all the replies. I'm in the Chicagoland area, so heated seats are a must. I want to drive with the top down as long as I can stretching into late Fall and early Spring, and I also plan to drive it during the winter with the top up. My Lexus and my wife's QX both have heated seats and steering wheels and man are those nice. When the seats and steering wheel are heated, you almost don't need the heater in the winter. But we also have some pretty hot Summers, so the cooled seat would be nice as well.

Exercising restraint will be hard. There are a lot of tempting options that are close, but not what I exactly want.
Very wise...you will LOVE the Boxster. I'm very fortunate to be able to tool around the Tampa Bay area with the top down and it is one of my great pleasures in life. It drives my wife crazy (in a good way) ;-).
Make sure you get the Sports Seats with the heating. They are far more comfortable. I get tons of compliments with my Box when the top is down. I also get lots of complements on my Luxor Beige interior on Black. If you treat the leather and keep it clean, it holds up surprisingly well.
Old 01-06-2019, 03:23 PM
WalterMitty
Track Day

It's interesting to hear how you came to own your Porsche from being a Miata owner.

I have a few questions on the S versus GTS. As I dig a bit deeper trying to understand all the options that are out there, and decide which will make up my "must have list" it appears the GTS has a good basket of them already.

From what I think I've read, the GTS comes with:

+15 HP from the 3.4L
PASM
PDLS
Dual Exhaust Mode (is this the same as the PSE)?
Sport Chrono (Not sure on this one)
20" Wheels

Are these correct, and are there any others that I am missing that going from the S to the GTS automatically gets you?

Thanks

Last edited by WalterMitty; 01-07-2019 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Typos

Quick Reply: Newb with lots of Boxster (981) Questions (cross shoping with C7 Corvette)