Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would you pay for this GTS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 12:47 PM
oofie810
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default What would you pay for this GTS?

Hi all,

I saw this pop up at my local Carmax https://www.carmax.com/car/16547820 and put a hold on it. I test drove it yesterday and it was a blast, especially with Sport plus and exhaust.

My question is, what would be a good price for this car? Carmax has it for $68,9xx but I'm not sure if that's high or not, but since they have a no-haggle price, that would be the price I'll pay plus TTL.
Old 01-01-2019, 12:52 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

PTV, PCCB, and X73. Wow. All the stuff you would want in a driver's car.

No idea on price. Do a search for comparables on Cars.com.

Hope you get it!
Old 01-01-2019, 12:56 PM
oofie810
Instructor

Thanks! Was browsing cars.com and this seems to be in the lower range regarding prices. And yes, it sounds like it was optioned out to be a driver's car.
Old 01-01-2019, 12:58 PM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

That's a well optioned car at a good price. You could wait on something else to pop up and may be able to get it for a few thousand cheaper, but you may not. The car is priced right. Bottom line, if this is the color you want and the option list you want (as the guy above me mentioned, PTV, PCCB and X73 are all well sought-after options) I say you should pull the trigger. I'd buy that car for the price if I were in the market.
Old 01-01-2019, 01:58 PM
ALE
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 31 Posts

Great spec!
Get at least an over-rev report and preferably a full PPI.
What a great way to start 2019.
Old 01-01-2019, 02:07 PM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

Very nice find. I had a '15 CGTS and loved it and I'm sure you will too.

I noticed this one has yellow belts, yellow gauges, and is lacking some convenience features. This spec makes for an awesome drivers car with a slightly unusual color combo. If you plan to keep the car long term, that's all good. If you keep cars for a short period and sell them, be mindful it might be harder to sell or require an even lower price to move.

Personally, I'd say do it. Great options and you'll have a blast in it.
Old 01-01-2019, 04:19 PM
oofie810
Instructor

Thanks everyone!

I could do without the yellow gauges and seatbelts, but the package overall is a nice driver's car. Still debating though as the wife can't drive stick and to be honest, it's at the upper range of the budget.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:40 PM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by oofie810
Thanks everyone!

I could do without the yellow gauges and seatbelts, but the package overall is a nice driver's car. Still debating though as the wife can't drive stick and to be honest, it's at the upper range of the budget.
It is a great spec, especially if it is a keeper for you. Heck, if you'd rather a base 981 with all the right driver's options and only 15k miles instead, let me know and I'll sell you mine and buy that one.
Old 01-01-2019, 10:57 PM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by oofie810
Thanks everyone!

Be aware that when the brake rotors wear out a new set of PCCB rings is $22,000. I don't know how frequently they wear out and need replacement, but that's what kept me from checking that option when I ordered my car. As for price, $68,900 is less than a friend sold his '16 981 GTS for a few months ago, and also less than I'd ask for mine were I to put it up for sale.

The yellow gauges and belts do tie in the yellow brake calipers .
Old 01-02-2019, 06:38 AM
bvanlieu
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is priced in the middle which is typical of carmax. At a dealer I would expect that to be up to 75K.

While we were only getting a 6sp when shopping this fall for our eventual 2015 (wife agrees as they only way to drive sports cars), if one of your two drivers is not happy with that you should get a PDK. They are out there. The 2015s are low 60s, and 5-7K more for 2016s which there are fewer of IIRC. Options can change this a few K.

The spec of this car seems more track oriented. IMHO, PCCB is something I just don't want. Yes they could last lifetime of car, but replacement of any of them is just stupid expensive to the point you are spending 5K+ swapping out to metal rotors and non PCCB calibers right?

We were not set on a GTS (do like the visual additions, and knowing it will have sport exhaust) but the S's are harder to come by. Non-S cars are easier to find and nothing to sneeze at, still a hoot to drive and arguably a better street car as you can wring them out easier. The perfect Cayman for me would be a 3.0L NA with the sports exhaust

Happy shopping.

- b
Old 01-02-2019, 10:58 AM
oofie810
Instructor

Thanks for the input everyone!

Looks like we're moving on from this one and just getting a base 997.2 PDK. It will be well under our budget, has more cabin space (for our dogs) and my wife can drive it as well. While this car was a blast to drive, I can't justify a car right now that I can only enjoy.

@bvanlieu - It's funny that you say that, I agree that the S is harder to come by, I've only seen a few come up while the GTS tends to sit more at dealer's lots.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:06 AM
John Ferguson
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

At the upper limit of your budget combined with wife can't drive a stick = PDK. Faster and 98 percent of the fun of a manual, paddle shifting is fun, no chance of overrevs, you'll both be happy. Don't know the condition, but that price wouldn't buy my BGTS. Love red, my CS was red, but red / yellow are not complimentary. By your own admission you don't care for it either. If this is "it", and I don't think it is, take the PPI advice to heart, this car might have been tracked or otherwise had a hard life. Service history?
Old 01-02-2019, 11:17 AM
bvanlieu
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good call on the dual drive friendly model. Having the partner enjoy and perhaps even feed your love/desire for the P car is a *good thing*. Mine very much enjoys driving and riding in them (started with our stripper of a 987.1, still miss parts of that car). While we certainly liked the 991's we test drove, and the little dogs would be adorable in the back seat, it just was too grown up for her taste and we prefer the raw sports car of the Cayman. We were fortunate to find ours when we did in October.

The 997.2 is my happy place with 911s based on the interior being a bit more simple and the car more raw. The 996 is even more fun but I personally cannot get past the interior and buttons as dated not classic.

The 981 GTS is a popular option when it was introduced in 2015. When you look at S pricing it was an easy sales pitch to instead move to the GTS model. Sales numbers reflected this methinks and we see that in the used market quantities a few years later. Porsche doesn't release AFAIK exact model break downs for sales just totals and 911's out sold the Mid twins by close to 2:1.

Bottom line: you can't lose driving either car so grab it, hammer on it, repeat daily.

- b
Old 01-02-2019, 11:26 AM
oofie810
Instructor

@John Ferguson - not sure about the service history, I figured that if I were to go with the car, the PPI would be more helpful. Not sure if the car had a hard-life, but it certainly was built or ordered with some of that in mind.

@bvanlieu I agree on the 997.2. Its just the perfect combination (IMO) of not being too dated and still getting the 911 experience. I'm lucky that my father has decided to move on from his so I'll be buying it from him.
Old 01-02-2019, 12:14 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

^ Just a FYI, Carmax doesnt allow a traditional PPI. You must buy the car and you have 5 (maybe 7?) days to get your PPI done. If you want to return the car because of issues found, you can get a full refund.

Of course, once a car is sold, Carmax will typically go out of their way to resolve issues found rather than return your money, up to and including sending a P car to a P dealer for service/repairs if necessary.

I have not ever personally bought from Carmax, but I wouldn't hesitate if they had a car I was interested in.

Quick Reply: What would you pay for this GTS?