Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman Dash Clock Options...

Old 07-06-2019, 10:15 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,564 Likes on 599 Posts

Interested too how the oil temp sensor / wiring process goes...
You can of course still tap the existing stop watch connector for 12V and illumination, removing the need to get those wires to a new gauge of any type.

The CAN bus + / - are also of course present on the same connector (as per table above), and assume a DAC could be built, or maybe off-the-shelf available already to make an oil temp gauge plug-and-play too.

White face clocks are also available from VDO too, but they appear to only be available with remote adjustment.
Remote adjustment does not have the time set function on the device, but requires another switch and wire set to install elsewhere on the dash.

While you can find a discrete location (like the 964 clock adjust), I did not want to run any extra wires or do any cutting.
Not for any obsessive reasons, I just couldn't be bothered.

Old 07-06-2019, 11:13 PM
monochrom3
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuro Neko
Interested too how the oil temp sensor / wiring process goes...
You can of course still tap the existing stop watch connector for 12V and illumination, removing the need to get those wires to a new gauge of any type.

The CAN bus + / - are also of course present on the same connector (as per table above), and assume a DAC could be built, or maybe off-the-shelf available already to make an oil temp gauge plug-and-play too.

White face clocks are also available from VDO too, but they appear to only be available with remote adjustment.
Remote adjustment does not have the time set function on the device, but requires another switch and wire set to install elsewhere on the dash.

While you can find a discrete location (like the 964 clock adjust), I did not want to run any extra wires or do any cutting.
Not for any obsessive reasons, I just couldn't be bothered.
Yep, i'm planning to use the power, ground, and illumination from the SC connection, and then just get signal from the sender by wiring from the wart down the dash, through the center, and back to the motor.
Old 07-07-2019, 01:19 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

Which clock did you guys buy? amazon has the 370155 but the part number ends in 001 vs 002.

Amazon Amazon
Old 07-07-2019, 08:17 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 453 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by kellen
Which clock did you guys buy? amazon has the 370155 but the part number ends in 001 vs 002.

https://www.amazon.com/VDO-Genuine-C...omotive&sr=1-1
I bought mine on eBay for $45, different part number but works anyway.
Search for "VDO gauge clock, genuine Cockpit 370-155, 2-1/16"/52mm"

I just looked at the amazon.com listing, that is *exactly* the same listing as the eBay listing I bought from :-)

Last edited by Hatzenbach; 07-07-2019 at 09:36 PM.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:18 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by monochrom3
Yep, i'm planning to use the power, ground, and illumination from the SC connection, and then just get signal from the sender by wiring from the wart down the dash, through the center, and back to the motor.
just to avoid any misunderstandings, here's a picture of the oil temp instrument i have for sale, I'm pretty sure that this is *not* what you're looking for...

Old 07-07-2019, 10:04 PM
monochrom3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hatzenbach
just to avoid any misunderstandings, here's a picture of the oil temp instrument i have for sale, I'm pretty sure that this is *not* what you're looking for...

Correct. Very much appreciate you checking!
Old 07-08-2019, 06:17 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kellen
Which clock did you guys buy? amazon has the 370155 but the part number ends in 001 vs 002. https://www.amazon.com/VDO-Genuine-C...omotive&sr=1-1
Yup; any 52mm VDO should fit in the swivel pod.
Either mounted from the rear, or the front (as per above).

The VDO series with the white face is also available with either a triangular (like the ones we've already used) or round (like the one illustrated) bezel.
There is also a chrome bezel too if you want to go the chintzy route.
This series is the one that requires the remote time setting switch, as the other series (available with and without minute markers) has time setting buttons at 4 and 8.

Another alternative is to get a 924-style with the central adjust ****.
These however, I assume anyway, are generally old and perhaps not as accurate or low-drain like newer models.
The 928 clocks, though similar do not use a conventional 52mm mount, and 944 clocks are mostly yellow?

There might be NOS of the above type available if you look hard enough... as I think this model was only discontinued recently (less than a decade perhaps).
Just guessing...
Old 07-11-2019, 12:01 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hatzenbach

Pic attached. My car is a 2009 997.2
Yes, the behavior of the illumination is as you described:
it goes on for ~30 seconds when you open / close the door, or when you turn on the lights (but even then it turns off after 30 sec again)
I have the suspicion that it's always on when the engine is running, need to verify. I noticed when I drove through a short tunnel yesterday that the illumination was on even though I hadn't turned on the lights

One lesson learned: before you insert the VDO clock, you need to take out the original lens, otherwise you can't adjust the clock.

One more thing: I had enough parts left to build a second harness. So if anyone wants to tackle this project but doesn't want to source all the parts, here's your chance.
$20 shipped in the 48 lower states, PM me if you're interested.

harness is sold
Old 07-29-2019, 10:14 PM
monochrom3
Rennlist Member

Started my small project
Attached Images   

Last edited by monochrom3; 07-29-2019 at 11:03 PM.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:03 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Neat!
Now, the sender wiring?
Or, CAN DAC?
Old 08-01-2019, 09:19 AM
monochrom3
Rennlist Member

Neat!
Now, the sender wiring?
Or, CAN DAC?
Routed the sender wiring through the dash, down the center console area, thru firewall grommet (that also has e-brake). I just need to actually put the sender in now. Was working on other areas of the car, but I'll wrap this up this weekend. I am going to open up the gauge itself and see if I can swap the LED to white.
Old 08-01-2019, 10:11 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Routed the sender wiring through the dash, down the center console area, thru firewall grommet (that also has e-brake). I just need to actually put the sender in now. Was working on other areas of the car, but I'll wrap this up this weekend. I am going to open up the gauge itself and see if I can swap the LED to white.
Neat!
Curiously, I was going to ask about the - ahem - lighting, but did not want to be rude.
The italicized font is closer to OEM for the 987 than the straight san serif on the VDO clock too...
With white S gauges, it would fit nicely.

I think the Defi 52mm series are programmable for lighting color.
Though, not sure they're available outside of Japan:

Old 08-01-2019, 10:49 AM
monochrom3
Rennlist Member

Neat!
Curiously, I was going to ask about the - ahem - lighting, but did not want to be rude.
The italicized font is closer to OEM for the 987 than the straight san serif on the VDO clock too...
With white S gauges, it would fit nicely.

I think the Defi 52mm series are programmable for lighting color.
Though, not sure they're available outside of Japan:

Ha ha no worries. I was hoping the blue would be more subtle. Unfortunately not. It is more pronounced in pictures but still not ideal in person. I agree that the font matches as well as possible compared to other options. I figured changing the led would be easy, so finding a face that matched was my priority.
Old 08-02-2019, 11:25 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Ha ha no worries. I was hoping the blue would be more subtle. Unfortunately not. It is more pronounced in pictures but still not ideal in person. I agree that the font matches as well as possible compared to other options. I figured changing the led would be easy, so finding a face that matched was my priority.
Tell us how you go then...
Old 08-03-2019, 12:44 PM
monochrom3
Rennlist Member

Tell us how you go then...
Will do. Got the sender setup and test drive today. Works great!
Attached Images  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cayman Dash Clock Options...