Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The day has arrived!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 05:44 PM
Surfndav
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts
Default The day has arrived!

And that day was yesterday. It’s a 2009 Cayman S, it’s a 40,000 mile car, what sport Chrono, NAV, and full leather black interior. Seems to be in great shape. It even had two of the original tires and they’re not even worn out. I ordered a set Michelin Pilot Sport 4S from Costco and they should be here next week. I want to feel confident in my rubber.
I have a specific question for the people here, I would like to upgrade the stereo to something with Apple CarPlay, I understand since I have a sport Chrono and the Nav there could be some issues there. Can someone give me some advice on how, or whether I should do this? Anyway heading to the DMV for registration in about an hour when I get off work, my wife took the car and got it smog checked today. The Cayenne in the bottom picture is my wife’s car.
I am contemplating all the upgrades I plan to do. But I want to do them right, so I can have a car to be proud of. And I’ve already very proud of it.

Old 12-26-2018, 06:23 PM
venom51
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 135 Posts

Congrats on your new ride.
Old 12-26-2018, 06:34 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Congrats. When I picked up my 2009 Cayman S this summer upgrading the infotainment setup was the first job I took on. My car also has sport chrono and NAV. There is no issue making an upgrade to a new head unit because of those. I upgraded to a Pioneer NEX 8400 with wireless apple carplay/android auto. It'll do them wired as well. This particular unit I upgraded to has onboard navigation of its own so I have yet to utilize the android auto (I prefer android, don't have an iphone). I was able to get a mounting kit for the head unit from Suncoast which looks very OEM and is comprehensive providing most things needed from a wiring perspective ( https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/EMSRA.html ). I ended up swapping out the car speakers, amp, and head unit all at once. Having gone to the trouble of adding insulation in the doors/rear fenders.. the sound improvement is considerable and the upgraded infotainment really updates the experience in the car.
Old 12-26-2018, 07:02 PM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

A beautiful example. Congrats! Enjoy it in good health! Nice Jeep by the way. I daily drove a JKU for a while too.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:03 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 571 Posts

Really nice snag! Well done!
Old 12-27-2018, 09:03 AM
Surfndav
Racer

Originally Posted by Fined
Congrats. When I picked up my 2009 Cayman S this summer upgrading the infotainment setup was the first job I took on. My car also has sport chrono and NAV. There is no issue making an upgrade to a new head unit because of those. I upgraded to a Pioneer NEX 8400 with wireless apple carplay/android auto. It'll do them wired as well. This particular unit I upgraded to has onboard navigation of its own so I have yet to utilize the android auto (I prefer android, don't have an iphone). I was able to get a mounting kit for the head unit from Suncoast which looks very OEM and is comprehensive providing most things needed from a wiring perspective ( https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/EMSRA.html ). I ended up swapping out the car speakers, amp, and head unit all at once. Having gone to the trouble of adding insulation in the doors/rear fenders.. the sound improvement is considerable and the upgraded infotainment really updates the experience in the car.
Your setup sounds encouraging, but I have a couple of questions. Did you do the work yourself? Did you have the Bose? I have the non-Bose unit. I have slightly different goals with my upgrade. I'm not worried about the sound, I like to listen to music, but the base system is good enough for me. I'm more interested in the hands-free integration. As for Nav, I like Google Maps and The Waze's app, which I understand work well with Apple Car Play. And I'd like to add a backup camera. Am I asking for too much?
Old 12-27-2018, 09:44 AM
2XIPA
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 214 Posts

Congratulations. There’s no turning back now.
Old 12-27-2018, 03:50 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Very nice, congrats!
Old 12-27-2018, 06:05 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 403 Likes on 268 Posts

Congrats!

Good choice on the PS4S ...what's the price at Costco?
Old 12-27-2018, 07:09 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Can't help on the audio question, but nice car!
Old 12-27-2018, 09:01 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Great pick-up! Drove an '07 Cayman S recently and was so taken with it. Smile-per-mile quotient is off the charts. Enjoy!
Old 12-29-2018, 01:37 AM
Surfndav
Racer

I'll be slapping on a set of Michelin Pilot Sprot 4S in the morning. It will be nice to have fresh rubber. From my research, these are the tires to have on this car. I guess I'll find out soon.
Old 01-02-2019, 04:38 PM
e30if
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Surfndav
Your setup sounds encouraging, but I have a couple of questions. Did you do the work yourself? Did you have the Bose? I have the non-Bose unit. I have slightly different goals with my upgrade. I'm not worried about the sound, I like to listen to music, but the base system is good enough for me. I'm more interested in the hands-free integration. As for Nav, I like Google Maps and The Waze's app, which I understand work well with Apple Car Play. And I'd like to add a backup camera. Am I asking for too much?
I've got a 2006 Cayman S that I swapped the entire system out and upgraded to a Kenwood DMX905S (Wireless/Wired Android Auto/ Apple Carplay). My car came with the Bose system so I opted to change everything at the same time (Headunit, speakers, amp, etc) rather than integrate into the factory system, I wasn't a fan of how the stock system sounded anyway so it was an easy choice for me. Since you have the non-Bose system it should be easier to just swap out the headunit and not worry about the rest of the system if you're happy with the sound. It's not a terribly difficult install if you have experience, I had to tear essentially every piece of trim out of the interior to do a full system but the headunit itself takes maybe 15 minutes to get to and there is plenty of room in the dash itself to do things. The kit that was already linked will work fine though is far more expensive than what I used, the quality is likely much better. I repainted all the trim on the center stack when I was doing the install so I wasn't as worried about perfect color match out of the box. I can provide some pictures if you want to see what it looks like installed. Adding a backup camera isn't a big deal for any headunit that supports Android Auto/ Apple Carplay, the install itself just gets a bit more complicated if you want to this route.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:29 PM
Surfndav
Racer

Originally Posted by e30if
I've got a 2006 Cayman S that I swapped the entire system out and upgraded to a Kenwood DMX905S (Wireless/Wired Android Auto/ Apple Carplay). My car came with the Bose system so I opted to change everything at the same time (Headunit, speakers, amp, etc) rather than integrate into the factory system, I wasn't a fan of how the stock system sounded anyway so it was an easy choice for me. Since you have the non-Bose system it should be easier to just swap out the headunit and not worry about the rest of the system if you're happy with the sound. It's not a terribly difficult install if you have experience, I had to tear essentially every piece of trim out of the interior to do a full system but the headunit itself takes maybe 15 minutes to get to and there is plenty of room in the dash itself to do things. The kit that was already linked will work fine though is far more expensive than what I used, the quality is likely much better. I repainted all the trim on the center stack when I was doing the install so I wasn't as worried about perfect color match out of the box. I can provide some pictures if you want to see what it looks like installed. Adding a backup camera isn't a big deal for any headunit that supports Android Auto/ Apple Carplay, the install itself just gets a bit more complicated if you want to this route.
Thanks for the response, If I decide to go with the backup camera I'll get some help. I had a backup camera add to my 2012 Jeep Rubicon at an off-road shop, the owner drives a Panamera Turbo. He said he can help me get it done. For now, though I've got other upgrades that are keeping me busy.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:37 PM
Surfndav
Racer

So Costco goofed up my order for my tires and I had to wait until today to get the new rubber on. I was convinced to go with Michelin Pilot Sport 2's instead of the 4S's. I really didn't do much research on these tires. I hope I made the right choice, I live in Phoenix Arizona area so summer tires are good year round. Drove them for a couple hours today, and they seem very good. I did get a little bit of a spirited twisty drive and they seem nice and grippy.

Quick Reply: The day has arrived!