Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The day has arrived!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 10:49 AM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Received 238 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Surfndav
So Costco goofed up my order for my tires and I had to wait until today to get the new rubber on. I was convinced to go with Michelin Pilot Sport 2's instead of the 4S's. I really didn't do much research on these tires. I hope I made the right choice, I live in Phoenix Arizona area so summer tires are good year round. Drove them for a couple hours today, and they seem very good. I did get a little bit of a spirited twisty drive and they seem nice and grippy.
So to clarify, you went with the PS2's?

The 4S's were hyped like mad before the official release, but they seem to have hit the real tire market with a deflated thud.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:55 PM
Surfndav
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Cayman-S Crush
So to clarify, you went with the PS2's?

The 4S's were hyped like mad before the official release, but they seem to have hit the real tire market with a deflated thud.
Yes, I went with the PS2’s. I see a lot of references the “Pilot Sport 2 Cup” tires, my tires do not see a cup anywhere on them they simply say “Michelin Pilot Sport” and then in small letters PS2. Not knowing much about these tires and only taking a short drive on them yesterday, they seem to be pretty good. What’s the consensus with this group?

When I talk to the tire guy at Costco I like nformed him that I was more interested in performance, and not too concerned with longevity due to the fact this was not a daily driver. Thanks for any help
Old 01-03-2019, 01:58 PM
Surfndav
Racer

Here’s another picture, now with clear marker lights. I just received my Porsche decals, they are the Cayman R decals. I’m not trying to be a Cayman R,, but I like the look. I’ll post another picture in a few days when I get those on. Also get the windows tinted yesterday.

Last edited by Surfndav; 01-03-2019 at 11:12 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 02:24 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

PS2’s are excellent, I am running them on my Spyder and I am very happy with them. They offer incredible traction and they weigh less than all the other brands. They will also get better after a few heat cycles, the sidewalls stiffen and steering feel/response improves.

I hadn’t heard anything negative about the PS4’s and I was assuming they would eventually replace the PS2’s. Nice to know both are still currently available.
Old 01-03-2019, 02:24 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 404 Likes on 269 Posts

Good choice on the Cayman R decals. I'm not a huge decal fan, but the factory Cayman R side decals manage to provide a great look without being over the top. I ordered a set, but haven't installed them yet.

Yes, I went with the PS2’s. I see a lot of references the “Pilot Sport 2 Cup” tires, my tires do not see a cup anywhere on them they simply say “Michelin Pilot Sport” and then in small letters PS2. Not knowing much about these tires and only taking a short drive on them yesterday, they seem to be pretty good. What’s the consensus with this group?

When I talk to the tire guy at Costco I like nformed him that I was more interested in performance, and not too concerned with longevity due to the fact this was not a daily driver. Thanks for any help
The PS2 is far inferior and vastly different from the Pilot Sport Cup 2. They are not related other than the same brand.

The PS2 is ancient at this point... 16 year old tire technology. The Pilot Super Sport (aka PSS, about 9 years old) was a noticeable improvement over the PS2, and the Pilot Sport 4S (PS4S) is the PSS's replacement. The PS4S was not such a huge improvement over the PSS, like the PSS was over the PS2.

The Pilot Sport Cup 2 is the highest level of street-legal tires from Michelin. Considered a track/competition tire that can be used on the street and sacrifices in comfort/wear to do it. Factory tire on Porsche 918 and other super cars.
Old 01-03-2019, 02:33 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zach L
Good choice on the Cayman R decals. I'm not a huge decal fan, but the factory Cayman R side decals manage to provide a great look without being over the top. I ordered a set, but haven't installed them yet.

The PS2 is far inferior and vastly different from the Pilot Sport Cup 2. They are not related other than the same brand.

The PS2 is ancient at this point... 16 year old tire technology at this point. The Pilot Super Sport (aka PSS, about 9 years old) was a noticeable improvement over the PS2, and the Pilot Sport 4S (PS4S) is the PSS's replacement. The PS4S was not such a huge improvement over the PSS, like the PSS was over the PS2.

The Pilot Sport Cup 2 is the highest level of street-legal tires from Michelin. Considered a track/competition tire that can be used on the street and sacrifices in comfort/wear to do it. Factory tire on Porsche 918 and other super cars.
Hard to argue that the Sport Cups are superior, they’re a race/track tire and basically a set of soft gummy tires that will keep you glued to the road. They’re not necessarily ideal for street use as they need higher temperatures to achieve the desired level of grip so anyone driving their cars on the street on cooler days may prefer the PS2 or PS4S.

As far as PS2 vs PSS, everything that I have read and heard from friends that have switched between both is that the PSS are “soft”. Yes they may have more grip but the sidewalls are softer which introduces more slop and slower transitions. They also lack some of the steering feel you get from the PS2’s. Again this is coming from guys that have used both on the track. I’ve heard much of this can be alleviated by running much higher tire pressures on the PSS but they you have to wonder how traction would be affected.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:33 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
As far as PS2 vs PSS, everything that I have read and heard from friends that have switched between both is that the PSS are “soft”. Yes they may have more grip but the sidewalls are softer which introduces more slop and slower transitions. They also lack some of the steering feel you get from the PS2’s. Again this is coming from guys that have used both on the track. I’ve heard much of this can be alleviated by running much higher tire pressures on the PSS but they you have to wonder how traction would be affected.
As far as track tires go, the PS2 and PSS both are inferior to other options out there, including cheaper options. Even the competing Continental ExtremeContact DW, which is known for having softer sidewalls than its competing Michelin tires, was faster around Tire Rack's test track than the PS2. I run RE-71R at the track so no personal experience, but I've been at the track with quite a few that were really pleased with PS4S.

It's intended use is a street tire as I think the OP will use it, and for that purpose I don't see how someone can claim Michelin created two inferior successors to that tire, with 16 years to research, develop improvements, and use new compound technologies. Even back in 2013, Tire Rack was highlighting the advancements (including "faster steering response)") of the PSS over the PS2 which was over a decade old at that point HERE. At the time, Tire Rack was selling both tires and the newer PSS was cheaper...

While the tires may not look very different from one another, the Pilot Super Sport is a noticeable improvement over the old Pilot Sport PS2. The following are some of the key advantages of the Pilot Super Sport compared to the Pilot Sport PS2:
  • More dry grip
  • Improved fuel efficiency
  • Extended treadwear
  • Improved wet traction
  • Faster steering response
  • Reduced tire weight up to 10% compared to competitors
  • Faster steering response
In addition, Michelin has priced the Pilot Super Sport a bit below that of the old Pilot Sport PS2 in many sizes, making the newer tire a great deal!
The PS2 was the best option at one point and still is a great tire today, I just personally wouldn't choose it over its successors unless a major pricing disparity. Tires are kind of like oil though... comes down to personal preference many times and there's never clearly a 'wrong' choice. Enjoy them!
Old 01-03-2019, 11:34 PM
Surfndav
Racer

I'm new to sports cars, and not in anyway looking to do competitive driving at this point. I'm looking forward to doing DE days with the PCA as a start. As well as other spirited drives. I got the tires for a little over $950 out the door, so I'm happy with my purchase, for now. If I really get into the track driving I'll look at getting a dedicated Track day wheel and tire combo. That is actually the dream, we will see.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:20 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

I'm new to sports cars, and not in anyway looking to do competitive driving at this point. I'm looking forward to doing DE days with the PCA as a start. As well as other spirited drives. I got the tires for a little over $950 out the door, so I'm happy with my purchase, for now. If I really get into the track driving I'll look at getting a dedicated Track day wheel and tire combo. That is actually the dream, we will see.
Perfect plan IMO! That's exactly what I did. I'd recommend some lower speed (think safer) autocross events to learn the balance, weight transfer, and traction-at-the-limit aspects of the car, then hit the track for a DE. The autocross events are WAY cheaper and your PS2's should be fine. Next step would be some RE-71R tires which will be great for both autocross and DE. You're really going to fall in love with the car haha. Enjoy!
Old 01-04-2019, 07:53 PM
Surfndav
Racer

Perfect plan IMO! That's exactly what I did. I'd recommend some lower speed (think safer) autocross events to learn the balance, weight transfer, and traction-at-the-limit aspects of the car, then hit the track for a DE. The autocross events are WAY cheaper and your PS2's should be fine. Next step would be some RE-71R tires which will be great for both autocross and DE. You're really going to fall in love with the car haha. Enjoy!
yes, autocross is on the agenda. I’m already signed up for a track day, or I should say I set my wife up for a track day. My plan/plot to get my wife as interested in this as I am. She acts like she’s excited about it, but I know how she is, she can lose interest quickly. So by letting her have our first track day I’m hoping that will stoke the excitement level in her.
I live in the Phoenix Arizona area, in the summer it’s fun to make trips to San Diego, where I lived for 20 years, left 15 years ago. The Porsche club of San Diego has monthly autocross events at QUALCOMM stadium. I’m hoping to make it there for a couple of those events this summer.
Cool side note, Billy Boat Exhaust are local here in the Phoenix area. I noticed they didn’t have the exhaust for my car on their website. So I called to inquire and actually spoke with Billy himself, he said he needed to look into it. So when he called me back he said he would like to make a custom exhaust for my car, so that they can use that as a template and offer the exhaust for the year and model of my Cayman. They are not doing it for free, but it is about a 40% reduction and what they would normally charge for this type exhaust, and they will install it free of charge as well. So I’m doing that, should be sometime in the next couple of weeks I get that done.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:30 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Let us know the next time you’re in SD, we can try to get a group drive together in the nearby canyons.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:43 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

So when he called me back he said he would like to make a custom exhaust for my car, so that they can use that as a template and offer the exhaust for the year and model of my Cayman. They are not doing it for free, but it is about a 40% reduction and what they would normally charge for this type exhaust, and they will install it free of charge as well. So I’m doing that, should be sometime in the next couple of weeks I get that done.
Your Cayman uses the same exhaust as any other 987.2 aka 2009-2012 Cayman/Boxster, including the S models.

They already have an exhaust for 987.1 aka 2005-2008 cars which are about 90% the same exhaust as the one needed for your 987.2. The only difference between 987.1 and 987.2 exhaust is the inlet tube where it mounts to the headers. Should be pretty simple for the new model. Here's some info and sound clips of their current which should sound pretty similar: https://flat6motorsports.com/collect...-boxster-987-1
Old 01-04-2019, 10:46 PM
Surfndav
Racer

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Let us know the next time you’re in SD, we can try to get a group drive together in the nearby canyons.
That sounds great!! AZ we have some good roads, but So Cal is on another level. I never had a fun car when I lived there, but I think I know where to find the good stuff.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:51 PM
Surfndav
Racer

Your Cayman uses the same exhaust as any other 987.2 aka 2009-2012 Cayman/Boxster, including the S models.

They already have an exhaust for 987.1 aka 2005-2008 cars which are about 90% the same exhaust as the one needed for your 987.2. The only difference between 987.1 and 987.2 exhaust is the inlet tube where it mounts to the headers. Should be pretty simple for the new model. Here's some info and sound clips of their current which should sound pretty similar: https://flat6motorsports.com/collect...-boxster-987-1
Yes, he did say it should be very similar to the 987.1 model, but they had never done on for the 987.2. I paid for it already and I'm looking forward to getting it on the car.

Quick Reply: The day has arrived!