Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 Spyder Soft Top premature wear

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 11:41 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 874 Likes on 531 Posts

Just put my top up and didn't see those spots luckily... a little padding on that rivet may not be a bad idea though.
Old 12-28-2018, 03:02 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Curious, OP are you folding your top properly, ie clicking in the connectors in the proper direction?
Old 12-28-2018, 06:44 AM
metalone
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider
Great job documenting the issue, metalone! Thanks. Would applying a couple layers of duct tape (or something comparable) on the bolt help? You could apply the tape on the top as well. Since all 981 Spyders were made for MY'16, there may not any variation in the design/build. However, a subtle variation in mechanical tolerance or assembly could make a difference between finished products.
I think that would be a good idea to stick something like a Gore Tex patch in the inner part of the fabric that makes contact.. and perhaps put something foamy on that rive tensioner. But I would do that after getting the response from warranty.
Old 12-28-2018, 06:54 AM
metalone
Racer

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Curious, OP are you folding your top properly, ie clicking in the connectors in the proper direction?
I think so, I do it the same way that's on a Porsche video (of a white Spyder ). Anyway I don't think that the fins have much to do as the rivet already starts to make contact half the process of putting down... actually is not hard to see it if you take the time to see it from the inside.

I think that's a matter of time and conditions to starting to see the wear, the more swisty roads and time folded the more friction, hence the wear. but I think that putting a protection from the inside will prevent damage...

At early stage you can't notice it, but when show up is does quickly.
Old 12-28-2018, 03:38 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 782 Posts

No USA extended service contract will touch the repair of a torn soft top. Better strike while the Porsche warranty is still in effect.
Old 01-06-2019, 12:31 AM
GotaSpyder
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back from the dealer...

I picked up my car from the Porsche dealer today. They have "documented" the issue. Asking the service manager exactly what that means...he responded that "they have opened a file". Not much feedback after that. I asked if I should be afraid to put my top up/down, and he responded "absolutely not". I think this is Porsche speak for go ahead and use it, and if it tears we have enough evidence to call in a warranty, Porsche stands behind their products. I do need to clarify that my car is CPO and has an extended warranty for another 2 years. At this point, I would recommend anyone with the same situation to take their car to the dealer to have the issue "documented". As part of the documentation process, I did print out a copy of this blog (including evidence of other similar issues) and handed it to the service manager as part of the file. One final note: I think it is of upmost importance to demonstrate that the tears are symmetrical of both sides of the car, and that there are others out there with the same issue. At this point I will work my top up and down without worry, if it's going to tear the sooner the better.
Old 01-06-2019, 12:59 AM
jcorderojr
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My Spyder has only 3800 miles. Sunday-summer driver.....I have never put the top up....I assume its ok
Old 01-06-2019, 09:08 AM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

So you keep it parked for the winter with the top down? Why?
Old 01-06-2019, 02:34 PM
jcorderojr
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
So you keep it parked for the winter with the top down? Why?
I have short winters here in Washington State. The car lives in a CarCapsule over the winter with top down.
The only thing I don't like about the car is dealing with the silly manual top.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:28 AM
metalone
Racer

Default preventive measures

A quick update on this... I've just helped a friend to put this self adhesive Velcro patches. His Spyder has only a few miles so there's no visible damage from the outside , but from the inside there's a subtle but noticable friction mark that helps in sticking the patch in the right spot.

On the other hand , Porsche answered on my my case by basically telling that they could change the top but only after it tears... so I'll have to continue using until an undeniable hole appears on the spot.

All in all, sticking a piece of Velcro it's an easy procedure that I would recommend doing it to everyone with an Spyder with no visible damage from the outside... my bet is that this will help to dissipate the pressure and stopping further damage.

​​​​​​This, without any doubt, is a design flaw, not a normal wear.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by metalone; 03-31-2019 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:37 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by metalone
I don't live in the US so wasn't me for sure. Hey tell me how it goes with you warranty. I paid for an extended warranty for two years so I should be covered too... hopefully they wouldn't argue against it..
You better read your policy. Typically extended warranties aren't as comprehensive as the initial warranty.
Old 03-31-2019, 02:49 PM
metalone
Racer

Originally Posted by fast1
You better read your policy. Typically extended warranties aren't as comprehensive as the initial warranty.
I have read it. Mine is submitted by Porsche AG and has the same coverage as factory . the answer was actually that is covered as long as it tiers , which is a matter of driving some miles with the top down ...
Old 03-31-2019, 08:29 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

I have a 981 GTS and a very similar problem, and there's another thread just around the 981 power folding top. My regular dealer tells me it's normal, but I think I'll seek a second opinion. I have CPO warranty as well.
Old 04-01-2019, 03:14 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 782 Posts

Originally Posted by manifold danger
I have a 981 GTS and a very similar problem, and there's another thread just around the 981 power folding top. My regular dealer tells me it's normal, but I think I'll seek a second opinion. I have CPO warranty as well.
Normal. Lol. That's just silly.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:20 PM
unclemat
Pro

Received 371 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by manifold danger
That's concerning. Can you link that thread? Did not find it.

EDIT: I think I found it: https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...-top-wear.html
The following users liked this post:
2XIPA (05-27-2021)

Quick Reply: 981 Spyder Soft Top premature wear