Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Spyder vs Spider

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2018, 03:16 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 452 Posts
Default Spyder vs Spider

DISCLAIMER: This post is partially tongue in cheek, but my question is legitimate.

I'm contemplating getting a 982 (is 6 cylinder 718 a real 718?) Spyder. In what's now a similar price range, another car I've long considered is the Ferrari F430. For a proper oranges to oranges comparison, let's compare the 982 Spyder to the F430 Spider. The 982 would probably be a manual, though I'd consider PDK if offered. The F430 would probably have the F1 automated manual, because the manuals are very rare and too expensive. If the 982 Spyder gets around 420 HP, along with GT4 suspension and rubber, I'd expect it to be roughly equal in performance to the F430, and possibly beat the F430 on track.

Which car would you rather have, and why?

I must admit I've never driven either. I currently own a 987.1 Boxster. My expected benefits of each:

982 Spyder:
  • Will probably be much rarer than an F430
  • I can order new and spec it exactly the way I want
  • Modern electronics
  • Lighter weight (around 10% probably)
  • Better reliability and lower maintenance costs
  • I think it looks better than the F430 (looks wise, 458 > 982 Spyder > F430 and 360 in my opinion, but I can't afford a 458)
  • Both manual and PDK (if offered) are better transmissions than the Ferrari F1
F430 Spider:
  • Badge (admit it)
  • Better sounding (more cylinders + higher revving)
  • I like column mounted shifter paddles
  • Probably a more raw, analog experience
While normally I'd consider Rennlist biased towards P-cars, I think this sub-forum is appropriate to ask this question, as I think both cars should be hated equally. The leading voice of this forum has said that the 982 GT4/Spyder "sounds like a fart can" and "looks like a hot mess of slapped together plastic bits that don’t flow at all". Thus, I think this forum can give a good bashing to both cars.

P.S. I'm also considering a base 992 coupe and Testarossa of all things, but those are so wildly different that it would be an absurd comparison other than being in a similar price range.
Old 12-25-2018, 05:22 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,777 Likes on 756 Posts

Uh...who's the "leading voice" of this forum? lmao
Old 12-25-2018, 05:41 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Personally, I think they are too different cars I would never compare the two. I actually sold my Spyder due to garage space, but the Spyder is a great car, it I wouldn’t sell over my 458 as I didnt need to convertibles. Think it depends on what you will drive more? The Spyder is bullet proof and more of a DD than the F car. Good luck I would go with the Spyder is a DD, of the F car if just for fun.

Old 12-25-2018, 07:04 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maverick787
Personally, I think they are too different cars I would never compare the two. I actually sold my Spyder due to garage space, but the Spyder is a great car, it I wouldn’t sell over my 458 as I didnt need to convertibles. Think it depends on what you will drive more? The Spyder is bullet proof and more of a DD than the F car. Good luck I would go with the Spyder is a DD, of the F car if just for fun.

That's a nice pair I'd love to have a 458 Spider a few years into the future when the prices come down a bit and my bank account goes up a bit

I'm definitely not looking for a daily driver. I already have a boring Ford Escape and a lovely old W126 S class for that role. I'll sell my 987 and BMW M240i to free up space and funds for whatever I get next. I want something that's an occasion to drive, something that feels very special and different. The BMW is a very easy to drive and practical straight line rocket. The 987 feels more agile, raw, special, and can hold more speed through corners. I want something that feels even more agile and special than my 987 Boxster, but also as quick or quicker than my BMW. The 982 Spyder and F430 both meet that goal, and should have roughly equivalent performance. The 718 Boxster GTS should also meet that goal, but the 4 cylinder engine fails to really excite me, it doesn't look special enough, and depreciation would also be a bit higher than I'd like. The main thing is I want is something that puts a grin on my face whenever I drive it, whatever the performance may be.

I do however want the car to be usable on long road trips. The low front lip of 981 GT4s frightens me a bit when it comes to parking garages, speed bumps, and construction on road trips. I don't fear scraping the front lip, but I fear breaking the bumper cover altogether. I hope a front axle lift is offered on the Spyder this time around, but we'll see.

What it really comes down to is which car feels more special and puts a bigger grin on your face? Given a choice between a 458 Spider and 981 Spyder (as you did), I'd certainly choose the 458 too. The choice between a F430 Spider and 982 Spyder is a tougher one.

How special does a F430 feel to drive? How special does a 981 Spyder feel (I assume nobody here has driven a 982 Spyder mule...)?

People on this forum seem rave about the 981 Spyder being one of the best P-cars ever. Is it really that good? How different do the Spyder and GT4 feel from the regular GTS models? Between the 987, 981, and 718s I've driven, they've all been great, but not quite exotic. My regular 987 has great steering feel, sounds decent, and is underpowered. The regular 981 Boxster I drove a while back sounded great, but was still underpowered, and had rubbery steering feel. The 718 base Cayman I drove last year had superb agility, adequate power, and an OK but not special soundtrack. I'm hoping the combination of 982 chassis/steering/suspension with an added GT4 edge, cool Spyder styling, and an upgraded high revving big NA flat 6, will make the 982 Spyder a very special car.

Will an F430 feel more special than a 982 Spyder? It'll probably sound better. Apart from that, I don't know. This is where I want this forum's feedback.
Old 12-25-2018, 07:47 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Apple vs. Orange.

And I didn’t say the 982 was gonna be farty, just that that one video sounded bad. The 982 will by all accounts will have an NA flat six and will sound very good.
Old 12-25-2018, 09:44 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

You can drive the Spyder around town without people wondering “Who’s that D-bag in the red Ferrari?” But people who see it will still be impressed and wonder what it is due to its beauty and rarity.
Old 12-25-2018, 10:47 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lapis
You can drive the Spyder around town without people wondering “Who’s that D-bag in the red Ferrari?” But people who see it will still be impressed and wonder what it is due to its beauty and rarity.
Speaking of red Ferraris: last time I drove a red 981 Boxster with the top down in the region surrounding San Diego, the car got a lot of attention and a passerby yelled out "nice Ferrari!"
Old 12-25-2018, 11:52 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

From the front 3/4, Spyder looks like a sportier Boxster

But from the rear 3/4, Spyder looks exotic and elegant unlike other Porsches (except for unicorn Speedster)

...and the nomenclature of badging it just “Spyder” makes most wonder/ask what is it? Hope Porsche doesn’t mess that up by over-labeling the 982 Spyder something ridiculous like “718 GT4 Spyder”
Old 12-26-2018, 09:20 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Lapis
‘I’m a Spyder lover and would have kept it had I drove it more and had the room. Only Porsche lovers know what a Spyder is I hope you know that. From a drivers point of view who would actually buy or not by a car because of what people think? Most people that see a red Ferrari are saying damn or what do they do ..............rare cars are someone’s perception. The hype on rare cars drove up the price on GT3 manuals, and wait to you see the ADM on the next Spyder .......
Old 12-26-2018, 09:48 AM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

While I haven't owned a Spyder I did have a GT4 and I now own an F430. I've had both cars for two years and to be honest like others have said they are completely different. I have driven a 981 Spyder to and they are very very similar to the GT4. I think you have answered your own question already. You were wanting an occasion car that leaves you feeling excited and special.

The Ferrari hands down does this every single time you drive it. It is an experience each and every time you turn the key. The Porsche will never do that in the same way. While the Porsche is the superior car in the performance and technology categories it doesn't have that special feel. I loved my GT4 but at the end of the day it was replaced by my S2000. It didn't make sense at the time to have them both. To me they were essentially the same car as far as experienced was concerned. Other then the GT4 was an S2000 cranked up to 12. However for street driving I found the S more fun as I could play with it a lot more. Then once I included cost into the equation it was a no brainer for me. The Porsche is too good for its own good and over time got boring to me. I know on the track would be a totally different equation but my schedule doesn't allow for many track days through the year. Now I'm not saying anything bad about the Gt4 as I absolutely loved it but the gearing and motor left something to be desired. Especially when I previously came from a 991S and knew how the motor should of worked. The Ferrari has never left me thinking it was something other then what it is and that's special. Now I am sure not everyone will agree with me but that's how I feel on the cars.

Now the flip side of the coin is I do believe I'm going to go from the Ferrari to the 718 Spyder. Now I do not think any of my previous statements will be changed with the new model other then hopefully the gearing or hampered motor. The biggest thing for me though is I want to drive the car more. While I still drove the Ferrari as much as I could (every weekend) it's not something I can drive everyday. However you look at it there is a stigma to owning a Ferrari and it's not something I could ever bring to my place of work. That cuts out five days of the week for me which I do miss. That and I do want to experience a Euro delivery. I believe I will eventually be back in the Ferrari but I still do love Porsche. My best summary of the Cars is the Porsche is clinical while the Ferrari is exciting.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:00 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by CarAholic
While I haven't owned a Spyder I did have a GT4 and I now own an F430. I've had both cars for two years and to be honest like others have said they are completely different. I have driven a 981 Spyder to and they are very very similar to the GT4. I think you have answered your own question already. You were wanting an occasion car that leaves you feeling excited and special.

The Ferrari hands down does this every single time you drive it. It is an experience each and every time you turn the key. The Porsche will never do that in the same way. While the Porsche is the superior car in the performance and technology categories it doesn't have that special feel. I loved my GT4 but at the end of the day it was replaced by my S2000. It didn't make sense at the time to have them both. To me they were essentially the same car as far as experienced was concerned. Other then the GT4 was an S2000 cranked up to 12. However for street driving I found the S more fun as I could play with it a lot more. Then once I included cost into the equation it was a no brainer for me. The Porsche is too good for its own good and over time got boring to me. I know on the track would be a totally different equation but my schedule doesn't allow for many track days through the year. Now I'm not saying anything bad about the Gt4 as I absolutely loved it but the gearing and motor left something to be desired. Especially when I previously came from a 991S and knew how the motor should of worked. The Ferrari has never left me thinking it was something other then what it is and that's special. Now I am sure not everyone will agree with me but that's how I feel on the cars.

Now the flip side of the coin is I do believe I'm going to go from the Ferrari to the 718 Spyder. Now I do not think any of my previous statements will be changed with the new model other then hopefully the gearing or hampered motor. The biggest thing for me though is I want to drive the car more. While I still drove the Ferrari as much as I could (every weekend) it's not something I can drive everyday. However you look at it there is a stigma to owning a Ferrari and it's not something I could ever bring to my place of work. That cuts out five days of the week for me which I do miss. That and I do want to experience a Euro delivery. I believe I will eventually be back in the Ferrari but I still do love Porsche. My best summary of the Cars is the Porsche is clinical while the Ferrari is exciting.
I drive a 2011 Escalade to work, funny I kinda moved away from driving a really nice car to work for just a few miles to the office. I moved to 2 fun cars one hard top, and one convertible to be my weekend fun toys to enjoy. Lot’s of great choices out there, but I do smile when I push that red start button in the F car. Porsche is a car you can bang around and they’re that good at all levels.
Old 12-26-2018, 01:46 PM
Yc911Kid
Three Wheelin'

Received 769 Likes on 402 Posts

Performance wise, given 982GTS can do 3.5 0-60 & 7:40 ring time, 982 spyder is gonna be much more than 'roughly equal in performance to the F430, and possibly beat the F430 on track'
Old 12-26-2018, 02:08 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts
Default The Gen-2 R8 Spyder NA'd V10

And lest we risk leaving this discussion incomplete without mentioning the new Gen-2 R8 Spyder. I don't know a lot about this car but I did sit in one last week and fire up it's NA's V10. Yep - NA's, V10. HOLY MOTHER OF MERCY! Shut the front door, hide your kids, etc...

You want to HEAR special, yet drivable daily? Seek no more...

Incredible.
Old 12-26-2018, 03:12 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Yc911Kid
Performance wise, given 982GTS can do 3.5 0-60 & 7:40 ring time, 982 spyder is gonna be much more than 'roughly equal in performance to the F430, and possibly beat the F430 on track'
‘come on serious majority of Spyders are garage queens. Nothing wrong with it but the ring is just a myth for manufactures to produce numbers with special tires, and optimal ECU programming. I would never buy a car based on OEM times ....
Old 12-26-2018, 03:21 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Yc911Kid
In terms of power to weight ratio, the 982 Spyder should approximately match the F430. The quick 0-60 time of the 982 GTS is mainly PDK + launch control + turbocharging at work. If you throw new Sport Cup 2 tires on an F430 and give it to a professional driver, it'll probably put out a pretty respectable ring time too. The F1 transmission of the F430 should be quicker shifting and easier to drive fast than a manual Spyder.

Honestly though, I think both cars would have more than enough performance for mostly street use and the occasional DE day. The F430 would probably make more noise and get more attention, the Spyder would probably do a bit better on track.

I have a deposit down for a 982 Spyder. In the coming months, I'll need to decide if I want to put down an order for a 982 Spyder or search for an F-car. I think I've ruled out the 992 as it's a good chunk of change for something that's not that "special" (regular 911s are everywhere, and I think a 982 Spyder would be more fun to drive). It's down to a 982 Spyder, F430 (coupe or spider), or a Testarossa. The Testarossa is vastly different and not really comparable (outrageous styling, glorious flat V-12, very quirky, outdated performance, and costly to maintain). A Testarossa would be much more of an event to drive than either the 982 Spyder or F430, but I don't know if I'd want to live with one.

I think I need to rent an F430 for a day from somewhere to see if it feels that much more special to me.

Quick Reply: Spyder vs Spider