Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Spyder vs Spider

Old 12-26-2018, 04:43 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787

‘come on serious majority of Spyders are garage queens.
And 430’s aren’t?
Old 12-26-2018, 08:12 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes

And 430’s aren’t?
most guys I race with you will actually see a lot of 430’s. I’ve yet to see a Spyder which I have no issues with I didn’t race mine. This is not a dig on Spyders they just aren’t raced right?
Old 12-26-2018, 08:43 PM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

If you are truly looking for something you're going to drive and not just stare at in the garage and/or your local cars & coffee you HAVE to factor in maintenance costs. What do you think the maintenance will be when comparing a brand new, under warranty Porsche and a 10 year old Ferrari? Where are you going to take it for simple maintenance and how difficult would it be to get there? If you could guarantee either car would give you 2yrs of no major problems I'd say get the Ferrari. But you can't guarantee that. Nobody can. So for that reason, I'd say Spyder and it isn't even close.
Old 12-27-2018, 02:53 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Maverick787

most guys I race with you will actually see a lot of 430’s. I’ve yet to see a Spyder which I have no issues with I didn’t race mine. This is not a dig on Spyders they just aren’t raced right?
You see a lot of 430 Spiders being raced?
Old 12-27-2018, 06:10 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

You see a lot of 430 Spiders being raced?
‘yup and auto crossed, and mountain drives from GA to SC ............all cars just don’t sit in the garage it’s just a car. Was out in the mountains in my 458 last Sunday with some car guys, and we hit some ice and road salt. I know a lot of people on RL like to debate on cars, my only point I was making most Spyders sit in the garage and that’s ok. Also a bunch of guys we ship are cars to an open airfield and we drive for a full day it’s a blast. Below was my new GT3 with a little road rash doing auto cross .........they don’t break still sold for MSRP after 2 years. Moral of the story drive and have fun. (:

Old 12-27-2018, 07:09 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Agree about driving and having fun, I just think it’s laughable to argue that Ferrari’s are drivers cars when most of them are the biggest garage queens on the planet. A quick search of F430s for sale is all it takes to demonstrate it. The average F430 for sale on autotrader has been driven less than 1,500 miles per year.
Old 12-27-2018, 07:26 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Agree about driving and having fun, I just think it’s laughable to argue that Ferrari’s are drivers cars when most of them are the biggest garage queens on the planet. A quick search of F430s for sale is all it takes to demonstrate it. The average F430 for sale on autotrader has been driven less than 1,500 miles per year.
Man just stop, I never said they were great drivers cars? I owned both cars, and drove my 458 harder than the Spyder by choice and would have never sold the Spyder but got an unexpected RS allocation. I have no point nor motivation to make with you only as my personal assessment. Relax dude, and most Spyders have less than 4000 miles. My Spyder I had less than 500 miles in a year, and it was only because of time and 5 sets of keys to choose from which was a mistake so don’t let miles fool you more so than circumstance. I’m a Porsche guy first, so me debating P-cars is really a non-starter.
Old 12-28-2018, 03:00 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Sorry, you made a ridiculous, passive aggressive comment. I was just calling you on it.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:32 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Sorry, you made a ridiculous, passive aggressive comment. I was just calling you on it.

Dude what was my statement that was ridiculous please tell me? You gave me the average numbers 430’s were driven, and look at the Spyder average numbers you will find similar no since you’re a fact checker?? I’ve said I’ve not seen a Spyder on the track nor raced, and yes I’ve seen plenty 430’s. Lastly, F cars are garage queens along with Spyder’s .......what on the above you can’t process? By the way as I said I drove my 458 more than my Spyder .......the above are my experiences. Dude just don’t talk to talk ........ this is not a dig on the Spyder, but don’t tell me they’re driven. Fact checker go pull up the mileage on Spyders for sale and report back what you find on average driven miles on a 4 year car. Also, I can care less if any car owner buys a car and washes it daily and never drives it ....it’s his car to enjoy he paid for it(:

Had some time it’s raining in the city so here ya go some quick math:

24 - 2016 Spyders for sale
Total mileage - 139000 miles in 4 years average (assumes car was purchased in 2015)
5791 miles average in 4 years = 1448 miles driven per year = garage queen
My Queen was only 500 per year

430’s For Sale your math below:

Last edited by Maverick787; 12-28-2018 at 08:15 PM.
Old 12-28-2018, 11:26 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

Maverick, I think the conclusion to be drawn from your statistical analysis is that the Spyders listed for sale haven’t been driven. Maybe lack of use is why the owners sell?

Since the 24 Spyders for sale you found are an insignificant % of the 800 originally sold cars, (presuming only 981 Spyders), you can’t draw the conclusion from those 24 cars that it’s a representative sample of the overall group.

It very well may be that most 981 Spyders aren’t driven much. You just can’t draw that conclusion from the small sample of cars for sale nor from your personal anecdotal experience of not seeing them at the track.

My Spyder has almost 19k miles!

Last edited by Mark Dreyer; 12-28-2018 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12-28-2018, 11:42 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
The Maverick, I think the conclusion to be drawn from your statistical analysis is that the Spyders listed for sale haven’t been driven. Since the 24 Spyders for sale you found are an insignificant % of the 800 originally sold cars, (presuming only 981 Spyders), you can’t draw the conclusion from those 24 cars that it’s a representative sample of the overall group.

It very well may may be the most 981 Spyders aren’t driven much. You just can’t draw that conclusion from that small sample or your personal anecdotal experience of not seeing them at the track.

My Spyder has almost 19k miles!

‘you’re spot on and I agree, and your mileage is way outside the norm. 24 of 800 is a good statistical population as it’s the relative number for sale, and my sharing was only to share you can argue both cars can be garage queens which is why my friend got wrapped around the axel which I say being friendly. The track reference two fold have not seen one on the track or on this forum discussed being tracked ......not saying it doesn’t happen but my experience only. But we can all agree both cars are garage queens which was the primary reason for my friend calling me out, and he didn’t have the facts.

Last edited by Maverick787; 12-29-2018 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-28-2018, 11:57 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

To continue the conversation I suspect very few of these cars are tracked if for no other reason than the GT4 was available at the same time. People who wanted a track focused car would certainly have chosen the GT4 over the Spyder.

Personally, I tracked my car one day just to experience some horsepower. I have a dedicated track car, a 986S. The only stock part in that car is the engine, and in the era of 991 GT3’s, that 3.2 just doesn’t bring much power to the track day. It was a different story the one day I tracked my Spyder! I still remember a 996 Cup car barely pulling me in the back straight at Sebring while I had a passenger along for the ride!
Old 12-28-2018, 01:19 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

I haven't driven a 430 Spider. Like yourself, always contemplated getting one. So, I'm gonna do some arm-chair analysis here (it also helps with my own decision of 'yea' or 'nay'). I don't track; so, I'm gonna stick to street-driving. Since you've already done some analysis, I'll simply add.

- A Ferrari V8 sounds cool. But, don't discount the music 981 Spyder makes at full chat! Since we've heard different sound signatures from various 982 prototypes, we don't have a definitive audio profile. North American cars may not have the dreaded Particulate Filter. According to well-placed members, the 982 will sound better than 981! So, the 982 Spyder should easily surpass a 430 Spider in soundtrack!
- More raw, analog experience? Probably true in favor of 430. I would admit that 981 is too refined. However, 982 Spyder is expected to be a GT, albeit tuned toward street-driving. That changes everything. Admittedly, it still wouldn't be as raw as a 10+ years old Ferrari.
- In all other metrics, tangible and intangible, a 982 Spyder will be lot more rewarding to drive on the street. The chassis is more rigid and tuned today. 430 is 10+ years old and probably tired. A contemporary GT Roadster will blow away an old Ferrari. We all know how legendary GT Department is.
- PDK vs 10-year old F1: No contest here: PDK is probably the best auto ever!
- The badge: No contest, but the other way! Though I'm a Porschephile, huge fan of Ferrari as well. For the right sample, I'll jump in head-first. Not one over the other; but, in addition.

Personally, I would only consider a 430 Spider if it's MT. With that criterion, the Spyder will surpass a 430 in a heartbeat! The Spyder's quality of shifter is almost as good as S2000's, the Gold Standard, in my view! There is absolutely no way, a 10-year old Ferrari will have anywhere near that level of perfection. 430 has the last MT. The take-rate was extremely low; so, the MT development must have been on life-support! If I don't feel good how the shifter feels, I don't care what badge it wears!

So, my personal choice would be a 982 Spyder!
The following users liked this post:
Underblu (08-07-2021)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spyder vs Spider