Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

The 987.2 Spyder Recipe

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 12:41 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I’m running the Odyssey PC925 AGM Battery which will require a Rennline Mount.

Lightweight brake rotors would be another good weight savings option although pricey.
Old 12-27-2018, 01:32 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,282 Likes on 593 Posts

Thanks Afshin.

These bad boys?

http://www.rennline.com/Battery-Odyssey-925/productinfo/EL-PC925/

http://www.rennline.com/Rennline-Battery-Mount-Kit-Odyssey-925-Porsche/productinfo/EL30.35/

My local Spyder buddy suggested we take the doors off. Kind of like Jeep-Wrangler style...

Last edited by Zeus993; 12-27-2018 at 03:20 PM.
Old 12-28-2018, 12:10 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Thanks Afshin.

These bad boys?

http://www.rennline.com/Battery-Odyssey-925/productinfo/EL-PC925/

http://www.rennline.com/Rennline-Battery-Mount-Kit-Odyssey-925-Porsche/productinfo/EL30.35/

My local Spyder buddy suggested we take the doors off. Kind of like Jeep-Wrangler style...
That's the correct battery. For some reason the second link is pointing to the same battery although I see in the link it says Rennline battery mount which is what I used.

As far as the doors, that might be pushing it.
Old 12-30-2018, 06:39 PM
kskpsu
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I still have OEM rubber (N1 Bridgestones) on my 2k mile Spyder. Time for an obligatory replacement next year due to age. Can shed 18lbs total buying different and more capable tires. No brainer to capture these unsprung weight/rotational mass savings on a consumable part.
Old 12-31-2018, 03:18 AM
kskpsu
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Another comment on weight, my tech weighed out the xenon headlights on the 987 and mentioned that each one weights 8lbs EACH more than the standard halogen lights. That doesn’t even include the additional washer motor and reservoir!
This is really interesting, thanks for sharing. I expected them to be heavier due to the associated hardware, but would have guessed something like 5lbs cumulatively. Admittedly, this is the one area I was bummed about in my build having halogens, but this info certainly makes it easier to swallow since I have lightening aspirations as well. OEM: LWB, 6mt, and now apparently halogens (might seek out a better, whiter bulb at least). Really wish I didn’t have A/C, but have to have my tunes...like that it is a standard radio. Aftermarket: The Oddysey/Rennline battery setup, Fabspeed sport headers, and the tires upcoming this spring.

Dangerous thread, not looking for ways to spend more money.
Old 12-31-2018, 01:07 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kskpsu

This is really interesting, thanks for sharing. I expected them to be heavier due to the associated hardware, but would have guessed something like 5lbs cumulatively. Admittedly, this is the one area I was bummed about in my build having halogens, but this info certainly makes it easier to swallow since I have lightening aspirations as well. OEM: LWB, 6mt, and now apparently halogens (might seek out a better, whiter bulb at least). Really wish I didn’t have A/C, but have to have my tunes...like that it is a standard radio. Aftermarket: The Oddysey/Rennline battery setup, Fabspeed sport headers, and the tires upcoming this spring.

Dangerous thread, not looking for ways to spend more money.
My approach has been to replace items with lighter weight and higher performing alternatives as needed. The shifter was something that really bothered me so as far as I was concerned it was worn when I received the car nearly 8 years ago .

The tire upgrade will be nice, I’m still surprised at how much different the car feels. Traction is about the same as compared to when the Bridgestones were new but the Bridgestones aged poorly as far as grip.

Focus on one or two upgrades a year and the rabbit hole won’t get too deep.
Old 12-31-2018, 10:26 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

I went to the Michelin’s this year when I replaced my tires, it made a huge difference in handling and feel, for the better. You can feel the weight difference, trust me, you’ll love them.

Quick Reply: The 987.2 Spyder Recipe