Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

detailing fluids messed up my interior

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 12:42 AM
john981
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 139 Posts
Default detailing fluids messed up my interior

Hi,

I have a problem with the interior of my 2014 boxster. I think the former owners or detailers have used some aggressive material to detail the interior and everything looks completely messed up. Whether the door panels, the steering wheel or the seats, every where there are several different tones of black and it looks like I have dry oily stain strips all over the place. I thought with black interior this kind of problems would not exist but I didnt know that there so many different tones of black!! Is there a chance to get a material which can bring everything back to a consistent black tone? I had the car already at a detail shop and they couldn't do anything. I have heard about this material back to black, but that is usually only for exterior. Was wondering if anyone has any experience with that and has a tip to solve the issue.

thank you in advance
Old 12-24-2018, 02:19 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Post up some pictures showing the issues, it will help us determine if there’s any products that can help.
Old 12-24-2018, 02:49 AM
john981
Rennlist Member

Please see attached, in real life it looks even worse. I will try to shoot some pictures in daylight. I have tried couple of products and none of them has helped. Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks so much in advance.
Old 12-24-2018, 02:50 AM
john981
Rennlist Member

Old 12-24-2018, 02:54 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

What have you tried thus far?
Old 12-24-2018, 02:59 AM
john981
Rennlist Member

Black Magic Pro Shine Protectant
Mothers VLR (Vinyl, Leather, Rubber)

As mentioned before, I gave it to a professional detailer. Was actually the guy my dealer recommended me, he is detailing all their CPOs. He couldn't do anything and I have the feeling they even made it worse. Steering Wheel is so bad, that I am thinking to just get a new one but hope to find a decent solution for the doors. The seats have similar stains but not as bad and are not my primary concern
Old 12-24-2018, 11:05 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

For the doors I would try diluted woolite or Griots Interior Cleaner. You’ll want to gently scrub the surface with a microfiber to remove the residue on the surface. When finished with the cleaning step spray some distilled water on the surface and immediately wipe it down with another clean microfiber to remove any residual soap.

If the surface isn’t perfect after that I’m not sure you’ll have much success other than trying to mask it by applying 303 aerospace which will help create a uniform look. Apply the 303 using a microfiber pad also as it can provide some cleaning as well.

I think the steering wheel may have been damaged and is beyond repair. You may be able to have it recoated rather than replacing it.
Old 12-24-2018, 11:37 AM
assyrianme
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

On my Isuzu, I have a black dash, steering wheel, and exterior trim. It faded in the sun and one a year or two I use Forever Black.

Amazon Amazon

Looks new after I put in.
Old 12-24-2018, 12:04 PM
john981
Rennlist Member

Thank you both. I will try the least 'invasive' suggestion first and try the others if no success. Thank you again and Merry Christmas!
Old 12-24-2018, 05:43 PM
algiorda
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

That looks like Armour All damage to me. I would NEVER EVER use Armour all inside my vehicles.

I use Leather cleaner/conditioner on everything; even vinyl. I feel it is safe to use.
Old 12-24-2018, 06:07 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Was this a salvage title car?

Old 12-24-2018, 06:22 PM
john981
Rennlist Member

No, the car is otherwise in an excellent condition, problem zones are doors, steering wheel and some areas of the seats. Exterior, dash and all the other areas look like new. As I bought it, I really didn't see all these issues. If I remember well, they had just detailed the car and I was waiting the stuff to suck in and dry, but it never happened.
Old 12-24-2018, 08:25 PM
GregWormald
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Can you ask the person who messed-up what they used? That should help finding a cleaner that is safe for the leather and vinyl.
I'm sort of surprised that it would be so difficult to remove unless it was a totally inappropriate product.

I agree with Marine Blue on the use of 303 aerospace products--maybe one of their cleaners as well as the protectant afterwards.
Old 12-24-2018, 08:49 PM
PiB993
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

If it were me, assuming this is plastic or rubber - you cannot just start putting more product on old product. I would use isopropyl alcohol 70% with a little distilled added (not sure about how aggressive you want to go) because you want to strip everything off then 303 or similar would work. I presume it's not some kind of wax product they mistakenly put on and that is why it's whitish. Of course if you are spraying anything you may want to tape off the areas you don't want to work on. I would whip on the 303 let it sit for 24 hours and see how it looks. Then even do another coat. Let it sit. Finally, whip it again removing any residual product.

I am open to alternatives and criticism. That's just how I would handle it.
Old 12-24-2018, 09:53 PM
john981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GregWormald
Can you ask the person who messed-up what they used? That should help finding a cleaner that is safe for the leather and vinyl.
I'm sort of surprised that it would be so difficult to remove unless it was a totally inappropriate product.

I agree with Marine Blue on the use of 303 aerospace products--maybe one of their cleaners as well as the protectant afterwards.
Is kind of difficult. The car had 3 owners before me and in the mean time several dealership who had the car in their possession have apparently tried all kind of cocktails to "detail" the car. So retrospectively not possible to know who's fault this is. Couple lessons I have learned out of this:

- Never buy again a non CPO used car. If the car would have been CPO, I could have brought it back and have them fixed it. For my last CPO the customer service was superb, they fixed every single issue I found in the first couple of weeks. E.g. a stone chip I had overseen as I took over the car, they have tried to repair and as it was not possible they just replaced the windshield.
- Better check every corner of the car. I was so excited buying the car, that I forgot to pay attention to all these details. Again, it was somehow shiny, I thought it was freshly detailed and will dry and look all clean soon, but apparently it didn't.

Quick Reply: detailing fluids messed up my interior