Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

detailing fluids messed up my interior

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 09:54 PM
john981
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by PiB993
If it were me, assuming this is plastic or rubber - you cannot just start putting more product on old product. I would use isopropyl alcohol 70% with a little distilled added (not sure about how aggressive you want to go) because you want to strip everything off then 303 or similar would work. I presume it's not some kind of wax product they mistakenly put on and that is why it's whitish. Of course if you are spraying anything you may want to tape off the areas you don't want to work on. I would whip on the 303 let it sit for 24 hours and see how it looks. Then even do another coat. Let it sit. Finally, whip it again removing any residual product.

I am open to alternatives and criticism. That's just how I would handle it.
tried alcohol, doesn't help at all. Will try 303.
Old 12-24-2018, 09:57 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

My concern with using isopropyl is that it could damage the vinyl/rubber and it could further remove certain coatings. Use with care and test an inconspicuous area first.
Old 12-24-2018, 10:02 PM
john981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
My concern with using isopropyl is that it could damage the vinyl/rubber and it could further remove certain coatings. Use with care and test an inconspicuous area first.
I already went over the entire door panel. It seem to be pretty neutral, couldn't see any difference.
Old 12-25-2018, 01:10 AM
PiB993
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 100 Posts

FWIW - I think it's reversible. It can be fixed. You could find an expert in your area to look at it in person and provide advice.
Old 12-25-2018, 09:33 AM
benben01
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

If you have a clothing steamer, I would give that a try... Had similar issues on the door panels of an E46 M3 I bought a while back.. Hit it with steam and try to work out product with a dry microfiber cloth.
Old 12-25-2018, 10:07 PM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 399 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by PiB993
If it were me, assuming this is plastic or rubber - you cannot just start putting more product on old product. I would use isopropyl alcohol 70% with a little distilled added (not sure about how aggressive you want to go) because you want to strip everything off then 303 or similar would work. I presume it's not some kind of wax product they mistakenly put on and that is why it's whitish. Of course if you are spraying anything you may want to tape off the areas you don't want to work on. I would whip on the 303 let it sit for 24 hours and see how it looks. Then even do another coat. Let it sit. Finally, whip it again removing any residual product.

I am open to alternatives and criticism. That's just how I would handle it.

Agree 100% Do Not put more stuff on it until it is totally clean and uniform.

Its hard to tell by the pics - but if its NOT damaged - then it needs to be thoroughly cleaned first.... then treated then protected.

In my experience detailing used cars (that have subsequently won concours) the best i have used is called "spray n wipe" (Granted I'm in Au) but its a kitchen bench cleaner / multi use kitchen spray.

Its mild enough and if used with a toothbrush/soft brush will hopefully breakdown the oils/silicone and get it out of the grain on the door trim. Will remove stains on the cloth sections as well.
As always try in an inconspicuous area first to test and make sure it doesn't make it worse.

The steering wheel and the last pic with the shiny mark - is beyond my scope with these pics.

Hope that helps?

Simon.
Old 12-26-2018, 04:26 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 711 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
For the doors I would try diluted woolite or Griots Interior Cleaner. You’ll want to gently scrub the surface with a microfiber to remove the residue on the surface. When finished with the cleaning step spray some distilled water on the surface and immediately wipe it down with another clean microfiber to remove any residual soap.

If the surface isn’t perfect after that I’m not sure you’ll have much success other than trying to mask it by applying 303 aerospace which will help create a uniform look. Apply the 303 using a microfiber pad also as it can provide some cleaning as well.

I think the steering wheel may have been damaged and is beyond repair. You may be able to have it recoated rather than replacing it.
+1

you can also try zymol leather cleaner. They have it at target or auto parts store. Autoglym interior shampoo, Amazon, is also a good product
Old 12-29-2018, 09:30 PM
john981
Rennlist Member

Thank you all for all your tips. In the mean time have tried few of the tips here: cleaning with destil. water, with alcohol etc. didn't show any changes. Than I applied after cleaning 303 aerospace, didn't help neither. Tried 2 back to black products for the steering wheel: nothing. The only thing which helped was what @algiorda had mentioned and I completely forgot about: Indeed I had used some armour all wipes and apparently this shiny strips at the lower level of the door was from that. I used it again for the same area and could get a the shiny stripes out. But on the bigger door trim surface, the damage was there since the beginning and had nothing to do with armour all, so I couldn't get it out.

I think steering wheel is beyond repair and I am going to get a new (used) one. These steering wheels cost in near new condition around 200 bucks, so wont stress with resurfacing and will just replace it. I guess for now I will have to live with the door panel until I take it next time to a competent detail shop and hopefully they can fix it.
Old 12-29-2018, 10:05 PM
Space Coast GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

Looking at the pictures, I tend to think someone used either a leather dye such as Leatherique or, they did the old (unscrupulous) user car approach of using paint. I have had great results with Griot's Interior Cleaner (as someone earlier mentioned). I doubt that will work here. Have the feeling you are going to have to use a darker dye coat to cover the abrasions and that coating cover. Maybe post your pictures on AutoGeek's detail forum. Or call them and ask to speak with Mike Phillips. They will know.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:26 AM
ICNU
Pro

Received 401 Likes on 244 Posts

I know it doesnt help anything at this point, but I have seen this similar damage to vinyl or leather before from someone that was using a rag with an ammonia based window cleaning product, then they wipe the interior down using the same rag. You will see many of your quick in & out car wash places do this in a hurry to keep the cars coming through. The ammonia can strip the finish off the material and create those dulled spots like Im seeing on the steering wheel. Most current window cleaning products are ammonia free, but you can still get products that have in there.
Old 12-30-2018, 11:47 PM
mwest
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John
If you have not yet solved this, PM me.
I own an auto restoration company.
We deal with stuff like this all the time.
Maybe I can help you resolve this.
Unfortunately most detailers create more problems then they solve.
In my experience the majority of the detailers at car dealers are fairly inept.
The car dealers are unwilling to pay what a professional detailer will cost them.
They use guys who slap silicone type products all over the car and soak the car with chemicals.
They think the more they soak the car and slap silicone all over it the better.
If you have not been able to solve the problem, PM me.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:59 PM
GTS_Ninja
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by john981
Hi,

I have a problem with the interior of my 2014 boxster. I think the former owners or detailers have used some aggressive material to detail the interior and everything looks completely messed up. Whether the door panels, the steering wheel or the seats, every where there are several different tones of black and it looks like I have dry oily stain strips all over the place. I thought with black interior this kind of problems would not exist but I didnt know that there so many different tones of black!! Is there a chance to get a material which can bring everything back to a consistent black tone? I had the car already at a detail shop and they couldn't do anything. I have heard about this material back to black, but that is usually only for exterior. Was wondering if anyone has any experience with that and has a tip to solve the issue.

thank you in advance
Sorry all to revive this thread... But this can be salvaged. It may not be a perfect solution, but try a magic eraser -those soft white foams. They are a light abrasive so don't overdoit, but go little by little. You will be able to scrub the material off. You may also have to scrub direct surrounding areas (lightly) in order to make the area look uniform. You can then use a trim product (try Kenotek dash/trim wipe or spray) over the entire panel so that the whole panel looks consistent.

If anything, this will work well on the steering wheel area, but the interior trim panel is already a loss so it doesn't hurt to try. Again, not a perfect solution, but trust me it gives you a chance. Otherwise find some used panels or buy brand spanking new ones. Please give it a shot and report back with success! ;-)

Old 01-07-2019, 10:26 PM
john981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GTS_Ninja
Sorry all to revive this thread... But this can be salvaged. It may not be a perfect solution, but try a magic eraser -those soft white foams. They are a light abrasive so don't overdoit, but go little by little. You will be able to scrub the material off. You may also have to scrub direct surrounding areas (lightly) in order to make the area look uniform. You can then use a trim product (try Kenotek dash/trim wipe or spray) over the entire panel so that the whole panel looks consistent.

If anything, this will work well on the steering wheel area, but the interior trim panel is already a loss so it doesn't hurt to try. Again, not a perfect solution, but trust me it gives you a chance. Otherwise find some used panels or buy brand spanking new ones. Please give it a shot and report back with success! ;-)
Thank you for the tip. Steering Wheel issue is solved, just bought a cheap one in perfect condition and going to swap it. The steering wheel was honestly my biggest issue, since even the leather had some imperfections. Looking forward to install my nearly new steering wheel! Regarding the door panel, I have to see when I have time and based on the tips here, I will start with the least aggressive and work my way up. I will report back which solution worked best.

thanks again.

John
Old 01-08-2019, 11:47 AM
Pruettfan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My guess is this interior has been damaged permanently because of use of many of the types of products and practices being suggested. Unfortunately no product is going to return these interior pieces into a condition that you or most of us would find acceptable.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:57 AM
IMPorsche
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

I know/have seen dealer fixed crack seat bolster without replacing it, so I think you might have a chance, just need to look for the right products. I suggest replacing the steering wheel and use the old steering wheel as a "lab rat" to try on different products before you cause more damages to the leather interior.

Quick Reply: detailing fluids messed up my interior