Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCCB on 981 spyder worth a premium?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 04:40 PM
Yc911Kid
Three Wheelin'

Received 769 Likes on 402 Posts
Default PCCB on 981 spyder worth a premium?

Hi,

I've bee watching 981 spyder market for a while and seems it's getting softened a bit lately. I've tested 718s/gts 981gts(all equipped with steel brake) and don't like the braking feel from any (heard that 718 got an upgrade on the brakes compared to 981).I guess I'm used to the PCCB on my 991s & didn't realize how good they are until I tried those steelies. Most of 981 spyders on the market are not spec'ed with PCCB. Makes me wondering what the title suggests: does spyder with PCCB worth a premium over the rest when it comes to negotiation. Would love to hear what you gents are thinking.
Old 12-21-2018, 05:16 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 403 Likes on 268 Posts

Most people will say don't get PCCB if you track the car. I track my car and have PCCB and wouldn't have it any other way. Swapping to GiroDisc steel rotors is always an option too.

PCCB brakes are amazing on and off the track and worth the premium IMO.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:16 PM
Yc911Kid
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Zach L
Most people will say don't get PCCB if you track the car. I track my car and have PCCB and wouldn't have it any other way. Swapping to GiroDisc steel rotors is always an option too.

PCCB brakes are amazing on and off the track and worth the premium IMO.
I don't track my car. But after trying the red one I found PCCB an pleasure to have even just for back road spirited driving. So now I really do want it on my next P-car.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:35 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Yes. I would never buy another Porsche, new or used, without PCCBs.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:07 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

There is a distinctive, high-pedal, "bite" that the PCCB system has that I've not experienced in the standard system. I had them in my first 997.1 C2S and loved them. That being said I've owned 7 others Porsche since all of them without the PCCBs. Do I miss it? Not really but IF I was to order a new car I'd probably add them. They're NICE to have, not an absolute necessity, nor a deal breaker for me if a nicely optioned car didn't have them. For me, they are in 4th position down my list after 1. MT, 2. LWBS, 3. Colour... And some drivers comment that with the bite so high, so immediate, that it makes heal-toe synching hard. Comments on this anyone?
Old 12-21-2018, 09:08 PM
Space Coast GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

If you like the PCCB's than I'll bet you will love the ST Ceramics. They are much cheaper, last tons longer, weigh even less, and the feel is far better than PCCB. The ST's can be fitted to cars with or without PCCB. Just thought I'd share as I am really happy with mine.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:18 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Yc911Kid
Most of 981 spyders on the market are not spec'ed with PCCB. Makes me wondering what the title suggests: does spyder with PCCB worth a premium over the rest when it comes to negotiation. Would love to hear what you gents are thinking.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question, but it sounds like you aren't asking whether to get a car with CCBs, but whether a Spyder with CCBs "is worth a premium" over a car with standard brakes. I would say the obvious answer to that is yes. It was an expensive option on the Spyder and a Spyder with CCBs should command a premium over a car with steel brakes (all other things being equal, of course). If I was in the market for a car and it came with CCBs I would generally expect to pay more than I would for a car not so equipped.

I won't go into why I don't think CCBs are necessary on the Spyder because that's been covered elsewhere and you've already indicated you love the feel of CCBs and haven't been impressed with the steel brakes on the 718/981 cars you have driven. Thus, I won't try to convert you to steel, other than to suggest you peruse this thread, if you've yet to do so, where there was some prior discussion on the topic:

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...onversion.html

Zeus' comments above are mirrored by a guy we were both on a Spyder drive with last weekend. He has a 981 Spyder with CCBs and he found the very minimal pedal travel before the brakes start to bite not to his liking. It bothered him enough where he went to a dealer to see if the pedal travel could be adjusted and was told it could not. Because the brake pedal travel is so minimal due to the early bite, he said you can't depress the brake pedal hardly at all such that it is always much higher than the accelerator pedal, thus preventing heel and toeing. Just passing along his comments. YMMV. Maybe other Spyder owners with CCBs can comment. If you don't heel/toe, then probably not a big issue. Might be well-advised to first drive a Spyder so equipped to see if it poses any issues for you before pulling the trigger.

Good luck in your search.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:23 PM
Yc911Kid
Three Wheelin'

Thanks guys for all the inputs. Yes I think it's the initial bite from PCCB that I really like compared to the steel one, but I figured I can get used to the steel brake given enough time, or if not I could always look for 3rd party options. So definitely not a deal-breaker for me. As to the premium concept, I was talking relative to the car's original MSRP. Regular lightly used 981 spyder are trading 5k-10k under msrp, the only PCCB one I'm considering, the dealer is holding firm at MSRP, hence the 'premium'. I personally found it hard to swallow such a huge premium right now.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:24 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

I would also say yes, provided that Spyder has not been tracked more than a very few times, and there are no chips on the edges of the rotors.
Old 12-22-2018, 05:00 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

The price of a PCCB-equipped car will be higher as the MSRP was higher. Other than that, there should be no additional 'premium'.
I'm one who prefers the cast iron brakes.
Old 12-24-2018, 07:44 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Yc911Kid
Thanks guys for all the inputs. Yes I think it's the initial bite from PCCB that I really like compared to the steel one, but I figured I can get used to the steel brake given enough time, or if not I could always look for 3rd party options. So definitely not a deal-breaker for me. As to the premium concept, I was talking relative to the car's original MSRP. Regular lightly used 981 spyder are trading 5k-10k under msrp, the only PCCB one I'm considering, the dealer is holding firm at MSRP, hence the 'premium'. I personally found it hard to swallow such a huge premium right now.
The premium is already in the higher price. I would pay full sticker for that option but the rest of the car should reflect the market. If they’re looking for more than that they’re high. There is not near as much demand for PCCBs on the Spyder as on the Carreras and GT3s.
Old 12-24-2018, 10:00 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 403 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes

The premium is already in the higher price. I would pay full sticker for that option but the rest of the car should reflect the market. If they’re looking for more than that they’re high. There is not near as much demand for PCCBs on the Spyder as on the Carreras and GT3s.
I personally agree with you, but for some PCCB is something they will not pay extra for... just comes down to personal preference of the buyer.

Sometimes for a used car, the combination of options can itself command a premium that is higher than the individual options would dictate the price of a used car on their own, if particularly rare. For you that might be PCCB in conjuction with a particular rare paint color you're looking for. All that's really only true for cars that can no longer be ordered new though.
Old 12-25-2018, 10:04 AM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 931 Likes on 534 Posts

I had iron brakes on my Spyder and found them to be great ... The Spyder is not the fastest car out there , and it is a relatively light car, so the stopping power of the regular breaks was more than enough.. as far as feel , never driven a Spyder with them, so can't compare...
I think some premium for the PCCB is reasonable, not sure a full list price of that option , on a used car is reasonable
Old 12-25-2018, 11:22 AM
splinterAMG
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Source one with PCCBs if possible.

The 'premium' is between you and the accounting department but they're excellent brakes imho.

Old 12-25-2018, 09:26 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

Here is my issue with the PCCB option. For the option price, I can replace all 4 brake rotors and pads with OEM brakes, including flushing, at my indie Porsche shop nearly 6 times.
And there are some risks with PCCB, that can result in very high cost repairs.
So It's not an economical decision, or nobody would ever choose PCCB.
I just can't get past all these economic issues, as I'm a frugal guy.

Quick Reply: PCCB on 981 spyder worth a premium?