Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCCB on 981 spyder worth a premium?

Old 12-25-2018, 10:19 PM
benben01
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Emotionally, logically and economically speaking.. I would pay no more than a $5K premium for the PCCB option if the car is not tracked...
Old 12-25-2018, 11:11 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 591 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by Zach L
Most people will say don't get PCCB if you track the car. I track my car and have PCCB and wouldn't have it any other way. Swapping to GiroDisc steel rotors is always an option too.

PCCB brakes are amazing on and off the track and worth the premium IMO.
So glad to hear someone actually say this "... I track my car and have PCCB and wouldn't have it any other way....."

If you ask Porsche, they'll tell you PCCBs for track; if you ask the vast majority of track guys they'll tell you the exact opposite.

If the next GT4 is offered in PDK, I plan to buy and use it mostly as a track car...and I am very tempted to spec PCCBs.
Old 12-26-2018, 04:10 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 403 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
So glad to hear someone actually say this "... I track my car and have PCCB and wouldn't have it any other way....."

If you ask Porsche, they'll tell you PCCBs for track; if you ask the vast majority of track guys they'll tell you the exact opposite.

If the next GT4 is offered in PDK, I plan to buy and use it mostly as a track car...and I am very tempted to spec PCCBs.
There's a 991 owner also here in Austin that tracks on PCCB and loves it.

Even if I was the type to immediately swap in steel conversion rotors/pads, I'd still find a car with PCCB to have them available when/if I stopped tracking the car. That's not me though. I hope to pick up a set of used PCCB rotors when mine are getting near end of life, and continue tracking on them.

Originally Posted by PCA1983
So It's not an economical decision, or nobody would ever choose PCCB.
I just can't get past all these economic issues, as I'm a frugal guy.
This is funny to me and I'm a frugal guy as well ...do all my own maintenance/repairs, replaced my own garbage disposal last week, build stuff, buy things from Craigslist, clean my own house, etc.

By that logic, owning a Porsche at all is a horrible decision. This is a passion and it won't ever make sense on paper no matter the brakes being used.
Old 12-26-2018, 04:26 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,595 Likes on 878 Posts

Originally Posted by Zach L

By that logic, owning a Porsche at all is a horrible decision. This is a passion and it won't ever make sense on paper no matter the brakes being used.
Well said... and very true!!! It's a disease, but I have come to accept it! LOL.
Old 12-26-2018, 04:37 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 403 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by 63A 981510
Well said... and very true!!! It's a disease, but I have come to accept it! LOL.
Haha, likewise.

My fiance is still coming to terms with it
Old 12-30-2018, 02:31 PM
MXA121
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

When searching for cars I was option focused. PCCBs were not a priority and I was not willing to pay much extra (maybe $1-2k on a used car). I was actually nervous about buying a car with them. I ended up finding the car I wanted, and they were on it.
Now after a short ownership, I am very happy I found a car with them. Great bite plus a huge upgrade from the Cayman S brake size and caliper.

I have decided that I'm going to drive them without worry. And if i ever need rotors, Girodisk and Brembo have my back. I wouldn't be paying $22k for carbon disks.

Last edited by MXA121; 10-10-2019 at 01:40 AM.
Old 12-30-2018, 02:50 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

One of the advantages of PCCB is lack of brake dust. If you switch the rotors to Brembo or Girodisk, as a replacement, would you lose that advantage?
Old 12-30-2018, 02:56 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

My 981 Spyder has steels and GT3 Touring has PCCBs. Previously had a 991.1 GT3 and a GT4 both with steels. All the brakes feel excellent to me, and I’ve not noticed a special braking improvement with the PCCBs on the new GT3 Touring vs the steels in all the other cars.

Haven’t been to track yet with the Touring, but did try both the old .1GT3 and 981 Spyder on track and had no problems at all with feel, bite, or fade. Admittedly I probably didn’t thrash them all that long though (maybe 6-8 laps max at a time between an hour or more cool down and I’m no pro driver).

Having said that, I appreciate the PCCBs on the Touring for their looks, no brake dust, and no rust. I suppose I’d appreciate that too on the 981 Spyder, though the red calipers look better with my Spyder’s color scheme than the yellow ones would look, and my Spyder has matte black wheels so brake dust really isn’t an issue on it.

I suppose if I were spec’ing a new Spyder to buy I’d probably get PCCBs though, as I’d probably do a different color combo and am partial to bright silver wheels too.

Old 12-31-2018, 11:08 AM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Received 236 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by MXA121
When searching for cars I was option focused. PCCBs were not a priority and I was not willing to pay much extra (maybe $1-2k on a used car).
Paying for options in a used car purchase is an interesting subject for me right now. (not just for PCCBs but for any option).
The general rule is "never pay full price for options when buying a used car". Even if they hold some value to you personally.

A good example is the Cayman GTS. Brand new the GTS package is $10K - $12K over the price of the Cayman S.
Currently on the used market, there doesn't appear to be any discount on the GTS package whatsoever as they're typically priced ~$10K over an S-model with similar mileage.

I guess it's like what Archemedes said "The premium is already in the higher price". Either way you're still paying a premium.

Guess it's a Porsche thing.
Old 12-31-2018, 12:22 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Its nice to not have to clean Brake dust off of wheels . What is that worth to you?
Old 12-31-2018, 05:52 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

I hardly ever use my brakes, so wouldn’t pay any premium for yellow over red.
Old 01-01-2019, 10:23 AM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Received 236 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
I hardly ever use my brakes, so wouldn’t pay any premium for yellow over red.
+1 that's awesome.

I have a Black Onyx Chrome Physical Vapor Deposition (PVD) treatment on my wheels (see avatar). Brake dust is not a problem and the wheels always look fantastic.
The PVD treatment is a fraction of the cost of PCCB.
Old 01-01-2019, 01:20 PM
MXA121
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

The real issue here is that Porsche's "basic" steel brakes are so darn good. There is no real need for the upgrade.
Old 01-01-2019, 01:36 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

As previously stated, the option cost/premium is already in the MSRP. Like most options, the actual value being something less than the original cost on trade in or resale. PCCB’s do generally add desirability to the car.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:01 PM
Yc911Kid
Three Wheelin'

Received 769 Likes on 402 Posts

Was cross shopping between 981spyder & 718bgts but the only spyder with pccb I found the dealer is still holding firm on MSRP and it's from the other side of the country so in the end I jumped on the 718 bandwagon(mainly because of the deal I got, more than 20% off after shipping expense) and will wait patiently for 718 spyder.

Thanks for all the inputs guys. PCCB is really nice to have and I'm very tempted to go with it if I can get a build spot with 718spyder.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PCCB on 981 spyder worth a premium?