Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is there any way to make rubber seal black?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 10:24 AM
marr123
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile is there any way to make rubber seal black?

The pictures are my Boxster GTS 981's rubber seal,
Is there any way to make rubber seal black?
Product like zymol Seal seems can just maintenance, not make it black,
any suggestions? thanks.

Old 12-21-2018, 10:28 AM
JPR
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try this, its supposed to be the final word in black rubber seal conditioning and protection:

"Gummi Pflege is a special rubber treatment that conditions rubber weather seals on car doors, windows and trunks reducing squeaks, rattles, wind noise and potential water leaks. Gummi restores color to dried out rubber and keeps them elastic while protecting them against the damaging effects of heat, freezing temperatures and UV rays. It uses a petroleum free, water-based formula. Easy-to-use shoe polish type applicator makes application simple without the mess."

Amazon Amazon

Jpr
Old 12-21-2018, 10:30 AM
ChicagoSpeed996
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

looks like wax residue from the products you are using to make it black like zymol. Might want to try removing the wax. Not sure what a little alcohol might do to clean it up. Maybe try in a small spot and see what it does to remove the waxes.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:44 AM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

If it is wax residue, try removing it with a 1:8 mixture of white vinegar:warm water. If you need something stronger a 1:1:8 mixture of ammonia:liquid dish detergent (Dawn, etc):water. As mentioned by ChicagoSpeed996, try on an inconspicuous place first.

Also, Griot's used to have a pretty good product that I had success with on my '97 993's faded rubber and plastic.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:07 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Use 303 Aerospace but apply it with a microfiber applicator pad. The combination will provide cleaning and protection. Griots Vinyl and Rubber also has cleaning properties associated with it and works well.

Gummi Fledge is excellent to maintain the seals once you get them cleaned up, definitely the best for rubber seals that I have tried.

Quick Reply: is there any way to make rubber seal black?