Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

High mile Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 12:51 AM
Surfndav
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts
Default High mile Spyder

Hello all, I've been lurking here for some time and I've posted a few times with questions. Here's another one.
I have about 40K to spend on a car and I mostly like the 981S's but most are just out of reach. I've always liked the look the 987's but I've been wanting the cleanest car I can find, and many of those are kind of old.
A little info about me, my wife dailies a 2012 Cayenne S and we are PCA members so I've been a fan of the brand for a while. Now the time has come to get a car.
There is a 2011 Boxster Spyder with 71000 miles for sale here in Arizona at one of the Porsche dealerships. I have been wanting a sports car to do sports car things, AX, DE days and so on. The more I read about the spyder the more I like the idea. So my questions are. What about those miles? To much? The asking price is $39,900. It books out KBB about 35K and NADA about 37K. Are these numbers realistic? Is there something I'm missing? I'm also a sucker for red leather interior and it got it.
This would not be a daily driver, but we would like to take a few trips to surrounding states from time to time, as well as spirted mountain road drives.
I'm planning to go and have a look tomorrow afternoon, so any input will be appreciated.
If anyone has a really nice\cool\super awesome car that they want to part with, I've got 40K burning a hole in my pocket. (in az we don't pay sales tax on a person to person sale, so there's that) Thanks
Old 12-21-2018, 01:20 AM
A432
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 203 Posts

That's a reasonable deal. You didn't show a link on the car .

Last edited by A432; 12-21-2018 at 05:35 PM.
Old 12-21-2018, 01:22 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I would not be afraid of the mileage at all, these cars have proven to be very reliable and the Spyder engine is just an upgraded 3.4L that comes from the Boxster/Cayman S. Having said that, if the car has not been properly maintained there is risk of issues. I would ask for any service records, confirm what's been done recently and make sure it checks out on the receipts. At that mileage I would expect the transmission to have been flushed, coolant flushed, plugs twice, oil changes every 10k miles, maybe a water pump and a couple of air filters.

The top is fairly reliable although the two back pieces which hold the rear portion of the top in place have metal clips pressed onto plastic stubs that are fragile. Make sure they aren't broken/missing.

Feel free to post up some pictures of the car, getting experienced eyes on it can also discover other issues or excessive wear.

Good luck, they are amazing cars!
Old 12-21-2018, 07:46 AM
Surfndav
Racer

Originally Posted by A432
That's a reasonable deal. You didn't show a link on the car
here ya go, I don't think there is a CPO on this car.
https://nationalpreownedporsche.com/...+Black+7133445
Old 12-21-2018, 09:14 AM
jeffm
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 34 Posts

That's a beautiful car...I'd say go for it!
Even with the mileage, it would hold its value more than a 981. Obviously, you should drive both and see what your heart is telling you. Although I love the Spyder, there is the real world hassle of the top. Not a huge issue, especially if it's a non-daily driver as you mentioned.

Lastly, you still may want to shop around. I picked up my 2014 981S back in March, 43k miles, 1 owner FL car. I walked out the door quite a bit less than your $40K budget.

Good luck!
Old 12-21-2018, 11:08 AM
A432
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Surfndav
here ya go, I don't think there is a CPO on this car.
https://nationalpreownedporsche.com/...+Black+7133445
Thanks, great car.

Last edited by A432; 12-21-2018 at 05:36 PM.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:42 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

Things I would look at:

Age and condition of the tires. Look for the date code on the tires - if they’re more than 5 years old they need to be replaced.

Ask for the service history of the car - has the car had all of its annual services completed along with regular oil changes.

2 sets of keys.

Original manuals and documentation. There maybe a “ Maintenance “ booklet packed with the manuals. There should be a page in there where a dealer has “ stamped “ off the annual services assuming the car was dealer serviced.

Original tool kit kit and jack if the car was originally equipped with a jack.

CarFax report.

Get an an independent PPI and negotiate the price from there.

If all that checks out head up to highway 89A In Sedona and have a blast.

Good Luck.

Old 12-21-2018, 01:08 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim137a
If all that checks out head up to highway 89A In Sedona and have a blast.

Don't get too excited by that picture. You're going to be stuck behind an endless line of folks going 5-10mph up and down that road! At least at the end of May and first of June.
Old 12-21-2018, 02:21 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I think that is a steal if it is a CPO. If not, it is still a good price. At $35k it is a ridiculously good price, particularly from a Porsche dealer. Per usual the normal inspection applying. Was it in AZ it's whole life? That is a bonus.
Old 12-21-2018, 04:47 PM
Surfndav
Racer

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
Don't get too excited by that picture. You're going to be stuck behind an endless line of folks going 5-10mph up and down that road! At least at the end of May and first of June.
I rented a 2010 Boxster S back in September and we drove that road. My wife was driving, and she wouldn’t pull over and let traffic move on. We stayed the night in Prescott, and the next morning I continue down 89A towards Wickenburg, 7 AM there was no traffic, it’s 20 miles of road just like in this picture. You can say I had a come to Jesus moment. I must experience that feeling again!!
Old 12-21-2018, 04:51 PM
Craig67
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

I am very impressed with whomever drove this for 70k miles. Kudos to them for enjoying it. Good luck and I hope it works out. Beautiful combo!!
Old 12-21-2018, 05:08 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by Surfndav

I rented a 2010 Boxster S back in September and we drove that road. My wife was driving, and she wouldn’t pull over and let traffic move on. We stayed the night in Prescott, and the next morning I continue down 89A towards Wickenburg, 7 AM there was no traffic, it’s 20 miles of road just like in this picture. You can say I had a come to Jesus moment. I must experience that feeling again!!
I too have experienced the road and it is stunning. Sadly when I was there the traffic was heavy, everyone was too busy looking at the incredible scenery there. I have to say, Sedona ranks as one of my favorite places in the US and I could totally live there. Having these types of roads nearby seals the deal too.

Hopefully the Spyder works out and you get to enjoy it on this canyon road, it would be an epic drive.
Old 12-21-2018, 06:37 PM
grgallo
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

appears to be a good car, but you need an independent knowledgeable mechanical review, tires, battery and service records, oil changes, fluids, brakes, etc. you'll also want to check paint (chips, dings, scratches), check wheels for curb rash/damage, and hopefully a non-smoker car, check interior for scratches, scuffs. don't worry about the top procedures, not that bad and I prefer the look compared to the 981 and I assume you are in Arizona, likely you'll never have the top up!? These cars are a blast to drive, nothing like it in my experience. I love the PDK, I'd prefer a car with sport wheel and paddles (perhaps this can be upgraded after purchase). This is an excellent price. Keep us posted, best of luck.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:02 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 571 Posts

Snag it. Now. It will not last long. That's a TON of Porsche for the dollar. Do your due diligence as recommended above and jump on it! Welcome!
Old 12-21-2018, 09:46 PM
Surfndav
Racer

I just got done with my test drive, and my wife is out driving it right now. It’s a sporty little car and it seems like a very solid car too. My wife gets a vote it might be a little too rough for her though I don’t know. One question what kind a rear end is the Spyder have? I know Boxster’s have an open differential. But I was thinking this is a, I can’t think of the name of it. I want to say posi track but I don’t think that’s right.

Quick Reply: High mile Spyder