Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can any of you electrical guru's take a crack at helping solve this electrical issue?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 08:11 PM
Doug427
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Can any of you electrical guru's take a crack at helping solve this electrical issue?

Below is a photo of the 987.1 Boxster that I just bought. The power seat is not moving, and it's stuck in the rearmost position. I need to move it forward to get to the rear bolts to get to what is called the rear body control module that is under the seat. The module got wet, and I think it's why the seat won't move to begin with.

All I can think of is to bypass the module and power the seat directly with 12v DC, and then try to move it. Does anyone have any idea which of these terminals would need to be powered - + and -, to get the seat switch to work and move the seat forward?

Barring that, maybe someone has an idea how to get to the rear bolts on the seat?

Posted below is a photo of the plug receptacle under the seat.

Thanks!

Old 12-11-2018, 09:53 PM
HETPE3B
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

The module below the seat (rear body control module) has nothing to do with the seat operation.
It only responsible for the rear lights, spoiler, roof (if convertible), rear latch and some alarm functions.

My Cayman thankfully has a manual seat adjustment
Old 12-11-2018, 10:42 PM
Doug427
Advanced

Thanks for that info, that's great to have it confirmed. The water in the car got about 3" deep. The Rear Body Control module is toast, I know that already. I'll get another and get it coded at the local indy shop (they already confirmed they can do it), that's easy peasy. The car's reverse lights are stuck on, the convertible top is inoperative, the rear trunk release inoperative, rear spoiler inoperative. It's good to have it confirmed that this is all tied in to the rear body control module under the seat.

Unfortunately the forward and aft seat movement is inoperative as well. Could be because the switches got wet. Could be because the seat memory module under the seat (different module) got wet. The seat memory module is mounted to the underside of the drivers seat cushion. It definitely got wet. I don't know if it controls movement, or just memory. Does anyone know? The seat back recline adjustment works on the driver and passenger side. Front to back movement is dead. No click, nothing. I need to get the seat moved so I can get to the back bolts of the seat mount to get the rear body control module out, then I'll deal with the seat movement issue separately.

While I'm at it, the only remaining problem is a drivers window that goes down but not up. Ideas gratefully welcome.

For what it's worth the car starts and drives wonderfully. Once I get the module replaced, the seat working and the window going up, it should be ready to go.

Thanks very much for any and all ideas.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:07 PM
algiorda
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Contact Voyager6 on the Planet9 Forum....he has EXTENSIVE experience with this problem rejuvenating a Houston Flood Boxster.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:24 AM
HETPE3B
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug427
Thanks for that info, that's great to have it confirmed. The water in the car got about 3" deep. The Rear Body Control module is toast, I know that already. I'll get another and get it coded at the local indy shop (they already confirmed they can do it), that's easy peasy.
Do you know or can you find out if the that module can be used from the donor vehicle, or it should be new, or it can be used by should be virginized? Do you know if they use PIWIS to program/code the module?
Mine was a little submerged in the water too, so I not really sure if I need to go after the new one or a used one could be useful too..

Old 12-12-2018, 01:56 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

Years ago we had a car get totaled due to a similar incident with a small amount of water. The ECU was under the passenger seat.
Insurance company said even if repaired or replaced, there would be persistent electric gremlins.
Good luck!
Old 12-12-2018, 03:54 PM
Doug427
Advanced

Originally Posted by algiorda
Contact Voyager6 on the Planet9 Forum....he has EXTENSIVE experience with this problem rejuvenating a Houston Flood Boxster.
I just read his thread, that's great info. Thanks for pointing it out to me. He's got the next generation Boxster from mine, but lots of very pertinent info nonetheless. I appreciate the heads up. I sent him a message, hopefully he'll respond. Thanks again.
Old 12-12-2018, 03:57 PM
Doug427
Advanced

Originally Posted by HETPE3B
Do you know or can you find out if the that module can be used from the donor vehicle, or it should be new, or it can be used by should be virginized? Do you know if they use PIWIS to program/code the module?
Mine was a little submerged in the water too, so I not really sure if I need to go after the new one or a used one could be useful too..
Ouch, that's an ugly one. I'm just going to replace it with a new one. Luckily the water was so low that a total of only two modules could possibly get wet - the rear body control module and the seat memory module. Both will be replaced with new. That's really all that got wet.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:48 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Any chance you can take the passenger seat out? Maybe inspection will suggest a way to disconnect the motor from the slide mechanism and allow a manual slide forward?
Old 12-12-2018, 07:57 PM
Doug427
Advanced

Thanks to so many of you and others for offering generous advice and wisdom. I got the seat out! I'll start another thread about how so that those with this problem in the future will find it easier to find on a search. Thanks again everyone, what a relief.

By the way, the rear body control module, which sits in the well in the floor under the drivers seat, is shot. However the seat memory module which is strapped the the underside of the drivers seat cushion, is untouched. That's great news in that is tells me that I do not have to replace the module as it's pristine and untouched. More importantly it tells me that the water in the car was even lower than I thought, it didn't even reach the underside of the seats. Great news.

Quick Reply: Can any of you electrical guru's take a crack at helping solve this electrical issue?