Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on a 987 that I am interested in buying.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 02:30 PM
Jose Rivas
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Thoughts on a 987 that I am interested in buying.

Hello,
Just wanted your opinion on a 987 that I would fly to pick up if it all goes well
First, What I'm looking for...
I want to buy a 987 (preferred in Atlas Grey Metallic) that I can mod and take it to autocross and some PCA DE events.
I don't care too much about accident history as long as its clean title and was repaired right.

The car I'm looking at is in Houston and has had "Damages" according to the car fax in the
Damage reported
Damage to front
Damage to rear
Damage to right side
Damage to right rear

My fear would be that this car was flooded and not reported as such. (Houston Harvey Aug 2017 | Damages Sept. 2017)
I'm on the fence of flying out to look at it (I'm from Philly) and trust my gut feeling to stay away.

any thoughts? Would a PPI pick up signs of flood?
Old 12-10-2018, 02:49 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Jose Rivas
Hello,
Just wanted your opinion on a 987 that I would fly to pick up if it all goes well
First, What I'm looking for...
I want to buy a 987 (preferred in Atlas Grey Metallic) that I can mod and take it to autocross and some PCA DE events.
I don't care too much about accident history as long as its clean title and was repaired right.

The car I'm looking at is in Houston and has had "Damages" according to the car fax in the
Damage reported
Damage to front
Damage to rear
Damage to right side
Damage to right rear

My fear would be that this car was flooded and not reported as such. (Houston Harvey Aug 2017 | Damages Sept. 2017)
I'm on the fence of flying out to look at it (I'm from Philly) and trust my gut feeling to stay away.

any thoughts? Would a PPI pick up signs of flood?
No-brainer to do a PPI on it, and it should pick up flood signs. Have them take it to the Porsche dealer there, have them do the full PPI, not just the superficial. Who is selling it btw? I've had some bad experiences with a couple of the big sellers like Texas Auto Direct.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:51 PM
Jose Rivas
Rennlist Member

Houston Direct Auto https://www.houstondirectauto.com/ve...-tx-id-640772/
Old 12-10-2018, 06:10 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 403 Likes on 268 Posts

I'm in Austin, but originally from Houston. Check out Modern Aircooled as potential indy shop to do the PPI... very solid reputation amongst the local Houston Porsche folks.

I wouldn't rule out this car, but I'd be VERY careful.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:45 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I'd be VERY careful as well. https://www.yelp.com/biz/houston-direct-auto-houston

I thorough PPI would definitely be the key.

That said, that seems like a great price, and I love that color combo.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:32 AM
Jose Rivas
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone. I think I will skip this one. price is good, but not worth the headache. I saw another Atlas Grey that I think I will pursue.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:53 AM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

There is a guy in Atlanta with an Atlas Grey 987.1 S and it is set up for DE events. It has some overrevs from a money shift, but EVERYTHING about the car is very well documented and the money shift was well beyond the 50 hour threshold a lot of folks recommend (meaning if the engine is OK 50 hours after the money shift it's likely fine). I almost bought that car before running across my Boxster GTS. If you are interested I'll see if I can find the car again.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on a 987 that I am interested in buying.