Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Armor All Wheel Protectant Works

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 10:44 AM
sghokie
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Armor All Wheel Protectant Works

I had got a while back an armor all wheel kit. I finally decided to spray a wheel with the wheel protector spray right before installing to see if it would work.
First pic is a couple hundred miles of driving with the protector on and the second pic is no protector.
I should note that when I did spray it I didn't really do a great job applying it so likely I missed some spots or touched the wheel before it fully dried when installing.
When it warms up here I am going to clean up the wheels and do a better job applying it.

Unprotected wheel below.
Old 12-09-2018, 02:47 PM
algiorda
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm glad you posted this. Someone else also mentioned success using this product. I went to the auto parts store looking for this, and discovered there are numerous Armor All wheel protection products.

Which specific product did you get? Can you provide a link?
Old 12-09-2018, 03:10 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I've been using it for years to keep the barrels of my cars clean. My only complaint is that the coating leaves a slight film and isn't as glossy as the painted surface, but the paint does stay clean and glossy underneath.
Old 12-09-2018, 03:13 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by algiorda
I'm glad you posted this. Someone else also mentioned success using this product. I went to the auto parts store looking for this, and discovered there are numerous Armor All wheel protection products.

Which specific product did you get? Can you provide a link?
It's called Outlast. Buy at Walmart. About $10/can. I've been successfully using for over 8 years.
Old 12-09-2018, 03:27 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 606 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
It's called Outlast. Buy at Walmart. About $10/can. I've been successfully using for over 8 years.
I use Outlast as well but when I last went to buy some, no one in DFW area was carrying it in stock. Finally found an Advantage Auto Parts location that had 8 cans not on the shelf. I drove over and after talking to the store manager, found that all their stores had been given a "do not sell, remove from shelf" order. They get these directions from time to time and dispose of whatever item it might be. They GAVE me all 8 cans they had in their stock room. If you can still find it on the shelf or on Amazon, please post back here.
Old 12-09-2018, 04:16 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

About three years ago one of the local auto stores had the outlast on clearance for $3.50/can, I bought all their remaining stock (6 cans). I still have three left, again only used on barrels.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:10 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Old 12-09-2018, 07:47 PM
algiorda
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Youtube video reviews are not very favorable for Outlast. As a matter of fact, nothing seems to prevent brake dust other than changing out the pads.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:29 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 606 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
Good to know, thanks. Back when I was trying to find it a few months ago, Amazon had a "no longer available" message or something similar. And all the parts store chains including Summit that has a massive retail store here in DFW off of I-20 had no stock. I used to buy it at AutoZone. Makes me wonder if there was a formulation change and all the old stock was pulled. Weird. I don't need any for a while, I still have 5 full cans and a partial 6th can left.

Originally Posted by algiorda
Youtube video reviews are not very favorable for Outlast. As a matter of fact, nothing seems to prevent brake dust other than changing out the pads.
Be careful making decisions about anything based on what you see on YouTube. If you follow the directions carefully, Outlast does a great job of keeping brake dust from sticking to your wheels and brake calipers.
1) Get all surfaces squeaky clean before application. This is the hardest part of getting the best results out of the product. The cleaner the surface, the better your results will be.
2) Apply per directions on the can.
3) Do NOT touch any coated surfaces with your fingers or rags or anything else, even after the product has dried, but most importantly don't touch before it has dried. Anywhere you touch it you will see more brake dust collect. You will actually see where your fingertips touched the surface as some brake dust will collect there. If you touch it before it has dried, you will get a lot of dust collected there instead of a little bit.
4) The longer you let the product dry, the better it will work. I usually apply the night or day before I plan to drive the car next. I plan for a 12 hour drying time.

Old 12-10-2018, 10:56 AM
ekam
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 314 Posts

I got ceramic pro on my summer and winter wheels. Seem to clean up nice.
Old 12-10-2018, 03:38 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Been swearing by this stuff for years. Works fantastic. Has allowed me to dramatically cut down on the car wash frequency.

Key is to follow the instructions. Use it liberally, everywhere, and let the car sit overnight without driving it, so it can dry and not fly off.

They now sell it in much larger cans too.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:08 PM
Phil McKrevice
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get yourself some 303. It keeps my tires black for weeks.

Quick Reply: Armor All Wheel Protectant Works