Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smoke and weird smell from exhaust of 2005 987

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 05:44 PM
Jdmada
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoke and weird smell from exhaust of 2005 987

After noticing a burning smell and smoke coming from the exhaust ( smell more like toast or burning leaves) I dropped car ar dealer to check it. Car has 40k miles. Dealer found nothing wrong. Note that when i got to the dealer the smoke and smell had stopped. On arriving back home from the dealer ( a 20 min drive) the smoke and smell was back. It does not smell like buring oil. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 12-08-2018, 07:16 PM
billwot
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

It's your cat converter doing what its supposed to do. Nothing to worry about.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:26 AM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

I left my car unused for about a month at one point. When I opened my garage I notice some bits of household insulation at the rear of the car and didn’t think anything of it as i was so anxious to get behind the wheel.

Intook off down down the road and a few miles later i was getting pulled over - as I looked in my rear view mirror the there was smoke billowing from my exhaust. The officer asked me to step out of the car and he said he never saw a Porsche that burned wood before - the smoke smelled like a wood burning stove. He told me to step on the gas and bits of wood, insulation and acorns blew out. Apparently some critter crawled in the exhaust and made a nest.

After that I started putting steel wool in my exhaust to keep the critters out.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:41 AM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

This ^

It's that time of year...Check around where you park your car for rodent droppings. Also, pull the cover off your battery and check in that area for nesting materials. If you have rodents, you'll need to eliminate them and whatever is attracting them to your parking area. You won't be able to keep them out of your car if you don't.

Quick Reply: Smoke and weird smell from exhaust of 2005 987