Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short Throw for 981 Cayman S?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 09:45 PM
james.fox
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Short Throw for 981 Cayman S?

All - am contemplating a short throw shifter on my '14 Cayman S. The factory shift **** sticks up like an ostrich. While the aesthetic is relatively displeasing, I'm primarily looking for something with a more crisp feel and less wobble.

Any experience/recommendations out there?

Old 12-08-2018, 10:41 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

When I owned my 996 4S I had a Porsche SSK installed. I loved it, since the throw on the standard unit was long and somewhat vague. The SSK throw was short and I describe the feel as bolt action. I loved it. With the Boxster 981S I owned, I found the throw to be reasonably short, and the feel more buttery than crisp, and I never installed a SSK. If you are looking to do it, I recommend investigating whether there is either a Porsche OEM or B&M unit available for your car. Good luck!
Old 12-08-2018, 11:21 AM
james.fox
Track Day

Phil - thank you.

I have found the below which appears to be the same product you installed on your 996, but for the 981. It is reflected as OEM, but not factory approved/authorized. Am assuming that this means it will void any factory CPO warranty etc, correct?
https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PK9X1SSU.html

I was unable to find B&M, but did see Agency Power Billet Short Shifter (https://flat6motorsports.com/collect...an-boxster-981), and Numeric Racing (https://flat6motorsports.com/collect...an-boxster-981).

Any experience with these, or would you stick to Porsche SSK from SunCoast or B&M?
Old 12-08-2018, 11:52 AM
ChicagoSpeed996
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hello The Porsche short shift kit as you listed, is just the GT4 shifter. It is technically not a shorter throw. It is just a shorter stick. I do have it in my car and I do like it. For the money it is a decent value.
Old 12-08-2018, 01:16 PM
993Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

^^^
Same here. I installed this as well, nice improvement over stock. Recommended.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:25 AM
james.fox
Track Day

Thanks, this is helpful. Seems like good experience and consistent with the aesthetic/feel, and no negative surprises.

One last question - would this install void the factory CPO? Given it is a factory product I wouldn't assume so. That said, wouldn't be surprised if factory sees it as an excuse to dip out early...
Old 12-09-2018, 12:34 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by james.fox
Thanks, this is helpful. Seems like good experience and consistent with the aesthetic/feel, and no negative surprises.

One last question - would this install void the factory CPO? Given it is a factory product I wouldn't assume so. That said, wouldn't be surprised if factory sees it as an excuse to dip out early...
Personally, I would call Suncoast to find out the specifics of the options they offer. Ask if the shift throw is shorter with any/all of them, and whether the warranty would in any way be voided on your car if you installed it.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:24 PM
Numeric Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 220 Likes on 135 Posts
Default Numeric Racing

The Numeric Racing shifter is a true short throw shifter. The lever wasn't just shortened by 20mm. The action on it has been changed to reduce the throw. Throw has been shortened by 1 1/2. Billet aluminum construction, bearings and all axis. Match it up with a set of cables and get that direct rigid type shifting that doesn't flex. Watch the videos for demonstration.

Stock Shifter and cables

Numeric Racing shifter and cables

Dan

www.numericracing.com
sales@numericracing.com
Ph: 844-686-7223
Old 12-14-2018, 06:41 PM
DJ99
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a GT4 shifter that I only used for a month. $150 if you want it.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:54 AM
masti99
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 87 Posts

Hi Dan,

I am interested in the Numeric solution. Do you do installs as well? I am in Orlando.

Thanks,
Sal
Old 01-07-2019, 01:12 PM
jdavis8361
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

The OEM short shift kit was the first modification I had made to my 987.1 and remain as pleased with it 6 years later as I was the first time I drove with it.
If you are after a crisp feel, which the OEM short shift doesn't provide, you'll need the Numeric shifter cables.

Pedro Bonillo recommends the B&M shifter:

"I've driven several racecars with the numeric shifter and we could never get it adjusted right.
Generally one gear (2nd or 4th) was very difficult to engage.
In the end we removed the Numerics and installed B&M shifters in all of them.
It's a beautiful piece of engineering though.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro"

http://pedrosboard.com/read.php?7,37550,37550
Old 01-07-2019, 06:17 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

^It's not really fair to point to a single anecdotal critique of the Numeric without pointing to the many positive reviews on this forum (and negative of other brands). I'd be happy with any among OEM, Numeric, B&M. My car is PDK so no need, but my last manual Porsche had the OEM kit which was super.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:18 PM
Okwute
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jdavis8361
The OEM short shift kit was the first modification I had made to my 987.1 and remain as pleased with it 6 years later as I was the first time I drove with it.
If you are after a crisp feel, which the OEM short shift doesn't provide, you'll need the Numeric shifter cables.

Pedro Bonillo recommends the B&M shifter:

"I've driven several racecars with the numeric shifter and we could never get it adjusted right.
Generally one gear (2nd or 4th) was very difficult to engage.
In the end we removed the Numerics and installed B&M shifters in all of them.
It's a beautiful piece of engineering though.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro"

http://pedrosboard.com/read.php?7,37550,37550
I have the Numeric Short Shifter with the Numeric shift cables installed on my 981 GT4 and paired with a FF ****. Rifle bolt "gated like" shifts without the gates! IMHO the best single mod for the driving experience.

I had mine installed at my local Porsche Dealer and Numeric Racing provided excellent telephone support.....They called my Porsche dealer tech on the phone and explained the setup and walked him through the install. Highly recommended!

Old 01-07-2019, 10:43 PM
jdavis8361
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

It's only Pedro's opinion, but he is a member of the PCA Technical Committee, https://www.pca.org/technical-committee, has his own aftermarket online store, http://pedrosgarage.com/Site/Products.html, and hosts a Porsche board, http://pedrosboard.com/index.php, so I didn't and still don't believe it necessary for me to search for positive reviews on this forum, although I'm sure they do exist.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:56 PM
Apex1
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

James, I also have both the Numeric shifter and cables and just love them. They shift like a bolt action rifle. Not sure about others comments, but these two items really work well together, either up shifting or down shifting. They do add a little transmittion whine, but thats just part of the experience. If you do not enjoy the added NVH, Numeric sells cable covers that reduce the engine vibration from coming up the cables. I use my transmittion much more now that I have this system, especially double clutching down shifts with blips all the way into first gear around 17 mph down to almost 5 mph just above idle on the freeways. Who cares what the Prius and Honda drivers think. Thats really good practice for the good stuff, canyon driving and track usage.

Last edited by Apex1; 01-09-2019 at 07:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Short Throw for 981 Cayman S?