Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short Throw for 981 Cayman S?

Old 01-07-2019, 11:50 PM
dcharnet
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I concur that the Numeric shifter is a remarkable device and one of the very best mods for our cars. I have no difficulty with any shifts. The key to that is proper adjustment of the cables at the shifter connection points. Flat 6 was extremely helpful in answering questions about installation, which, finally, was straightforward.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:55 PM
Numeric Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 216 Likes on 133 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by jdavis8361
The OEM short shift kit was the first modification I had made to my 987.1 and remain as pleased with it 6 years later as I was the first time I drove with it.
If you are after a crisp feel, which the OEM short shift doesn't provide, you'll need the Numeric shifter cables.

Pedro Bonillo recommends the B&M shifter:

"I've driven several racecars with the numeric shifter and we could never get it adjusted right.
Generally one gear (2nd or 4th) was very difficult to engage.
In the end we removed the Numerics and installed B&M shifters in all of them.
It's a beautiful piece of engineering though.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro"

http://pedrosboard.com/read.php?7,37550,37550
This review is from 2014. Usually when a customer or even a shop/mechanic has an issue with adjustment or engagement, that result is that they had never called for support. Dan, who designed the Numeric Shifters, is always an email or phone call away. He will take the time necessary to walk you through the installation and give you the advice needed to ensure your setup is where it needs to be. We also have a 30-day return policy and a lifetime warranty.

We have two shifters available, one for the 996/997, 986/987 models and the newest one for 718, 981, & 991 models. Many of our dealers, such as Sharkwerks, Bodymotion, TuneRS, FVD, Tarett.. to name a few, carry and/or install our shifters in race cars and daily drivers with no issues.

Also, we are having a sale $629.99 including free US Shipping, which ends tomorrow Jan 9.

Faith
faith@numericracing.com

www.numericracing.com
sales@numericracing.com
Ph: 844-686-7223
Old 01-08-2019, 05:47 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Just had my Numeric shifter and cables installed in my 981. Drove it for the first time today. Righteous!
Old 01-09-2019, 03:42 PM
Numeric Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Check out this new review of the 718, 981, 991 Numeric Racing Shifter by Joe Hutchinson.
We are pleased to see such positive feedback.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:56 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The 981 6-speed Numeric is fantastic. I also have a Carrera T and find the stock “short” shifter okay in gears 1-4, but a little problematic in 5,6,7. The 4-5 shift gives me occasional heartburn. Probably because I expect it to shift perfectly every time like the excellent Cayman 6-speed.

If Numeric has solved the finicky 4-5 shift gate in the Carrera 7 speed that would be a reason for me to buy a second Numeric.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:42 AM
nowakm99
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

This is an upgrade that I did on my 2012 987.2 a few years ago. Before doing so, I did a lot of research and tried out the various shifter options that exist for our cars at Porsche meets (I didn’t actually drive the cars, but went through the gears). Personally, the Numeric shifter with cables is my favourite by a long shot. I’ve had the SSK installed for almost two years now and recently purchased the cables at a great price, so will get those installed in the spring. When set up correctly, this set up has zero slack and is super precise.

In terms of difficulty of gear selection, reverse takes a bit of muscle to select, but all of the other gears are super easy and crisp. I think that it’s a matter of installing everything correctly.

Old 01-12-2019, 10:19 PM
masti99
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 87 Posts

Just purchased and had the Numeric shifter installed. Wow, what a difference from stock. It is a must have for street or track driving. Going from 1st to 2nd on stock shifter was such a long wait. But now with the Numeric it is lighting fast and butter!! Love it!!
Old 01-25-2019, 03:24 PM
BECACW
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This will be my next purchase. I have one in my 996 and I love my car even more.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:06 PM
Deepbluejh
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I recently had the Numeric shifter installed on my 981 Cayman GTS. Wow, what a huge difference in shift feel. The throw has been so dramatically reduced that it's going to take a bit of time to "re-learn" the shift in this car. Shifts are now short, direct, and very mechanical feeling. Almost all of the play in the stock shifter is now gone. It almost feels like I'm driving a different car - and not in a bad way.

I had a local shop (Goldcrest Motorsports) install the shifter and they said it went in beautifully with no problems at all.

Moreover, I bought the shifter secondhand and had it sent back to Numeric to swap out the centering spring. It had the stiff spring in it while I wanted the softer spring. They swapped it out free of charge (!) and mailed it back to me. All I paid was shipping. They didn't have to do this for free (I didn't ask or assume they would), but they did. It was truly outstanding service and I would not hesitate to give them my business again.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:05 AM
michaelscain
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Deepbluejh
I recently had the Numeric shifter installed on my 981 Cayman GTS. Wow, what a huge difference in shift feel. The throw has been so dramatically reduced that it's going to take a bit of time to "re-learn" the shift in this car. Shifts are now short, direct, and very mechanical feeling. Almost all of the play in the stock shifter is now gone. It almost feels like I'm driving a different car - and not in a bad way.

I had a local shop (Goldcrest Motorsports) install the shifter and they said it went in beautifully with no problems at all.

Moreover, I bought the shifter secondhand and had it sent back to Numeric to swap out the centering spring. It had the stiff spring in it while I wanted the softer spring. They swapped it out free of charge (!) and mailed it back to me. All I paid was shipping. They didn't have to do this for free (I didn't ask or assume they would), but they did. It was truly outstanding service and I would not hesitate to give them my business again.
Did you also get the Numeric Cables installed? or just the Numeric Short Shifter Gear Stick?
Old 02-15-2019, 09:01 AM
Deepbluejh
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Well the shifter itself is a lot more than the "gear stick". That said, I just had the shifter unit installed and left the cable stock. No regrets here.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:49 PM
alexl911
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Numeric Racing
This review is from 2014. Usually when a customer or even a shop/mechanic has an issue with adjustment or engagement, that result is that they had never called for support. Dan, who designed the Numeric Shifters, is always an email or phone call away. He will take the time necessary to walk you through the installation and give you the advice needed to ensure your setup is where it needs to be. We also have a 30-day return policy and a lifetime warranty.

We have two shifters available, one for the 996/997, 986/987 models and the newest one for 718, 981, & 991 models. Many of our dealers, such as Sharkwerks, Bodymotion, TuneRS, FVD, Tarett.. to name a few, carry and/or install our shifters in race cars and daily drivers with no issues.

Also, we are having a sale $629.99 including free US Shipping, which ends tomorrow Jan 9.

Faith
faith@numericracing.com
Do you usually run an annual sale? I just bought a '16 CS 6MT. Had I known I would have bought your shifter on sale!
Old 03-04-2019, 07:09 PM
Numeric Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by alexl911
Do you usually run an annual sale? I just bought a '16 CS 6MT. Had I known I would have bought your shifter on sale!
We run sales monthly and/or around holidays. We will be advertising our next one here on Rennlist towards the end of March.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:37 PM
RX2DO
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

forum member pricing?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Short Throw for 981 Cayman S?