Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with bubbling steering wheel trim...

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 11:48 PM
shoegaze
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with bubbling steering wheel trim...

Been lurking for quite a while trying to learn as much as I could about the 987.2 Cayman S cars before I purchased one. Was finally able to find the right one for me back in June and have enjoyed every mile since then.

I have been slowly sorting out all of the the little nits and am now left with one thing on my list: the metallic(?) steering wheel trim is bubbling and starting to separate.

Besides shelling out $1k for a new Sport Steering Wheel (part # 991-044-400-00-A34), does anyone have any suggestions? I have looked all over the internet for just the trim piece, but I have been unable to find it. Does anyone specialize in refurbishing these?

I really appreciate any help.

Old 12-07-2018, 01:43 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I’m surprised the metal coating is delaminating, that’s disappointing.

You could see if the guys that wrap cars could put a metallic wrap on it. As an alternative maybe you could send the wheel to bumper plugs and have them paint it.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:33 PM
gearFX
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

I have never seen that happen before. What would cause this? Excess sun exposure and UV damage? Harsh chemicals?

No matter the cause it doesn't look reversible or reparable. I like the wrap or paint suggestions.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:49 AM
RennKit-Dave
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 182 Likes on 127 Posts

Sand and repaint. That’s what I did, but i5 will not be the shiny chrome look, perhaps body color?
http://rennkit.com/
  • Patented eRam Kit™ for 996/997 Turbo & Carrera GT wings
  • Cal*Cool™ - brake cooling 996/997 / Bluetooth Retrofit Kit™ for 1998-2011 cars / Wing Extenders™ 987 Cayman / 997 Turbo
  • AUTO-BLiP for MT / Function F1RST Shift ***** / Girodisc 2-piece rotors / OS Giken LSD / Phenix suspension / Zunsport grills / 997/987 switches/PCM ***** / Border Coilovers
Old 12-09-2018, 08:29 PM
shoegaze
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions. I think that I will either have it wrapped or sanded down and painted. FWIW, the previous owner had no idea how the damage occurred. I assume it was from the heat, but there is no other damage, fading, etc. and the car was supposedly always garage kept, which is how the rest of it appears.

Quick Reply: Help with bubbling steering wheel trim...