Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st Time Porsche Cayman GTS owner with a question

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 08:28 PM
Phantom400
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1st Time Porsche Cayman GTS owner with a question

Hi everyone, first time poster, long time lurker.

I finally pulled the trigger on a 2015 Cayman GTS. It's a CPO car with 24,500 miles on it. I was wondering if it is normal to smell oil on these mid engine cars? I've only had the car for a few days, and right after starting the engine I can smell oil (I think it's oil). The oil levels on the car are showing normal and I'm not seeing any oil drops on my garage floor. I can sometimes smell it after I turn the car off as well.

So is this normal or is this a case of excess oil spilling on the engine and just heating up? Thanks in advance for your time.

Dave
Old 12-06-2018, 08:33 PM
Phantom400
Intermediate

Sorry about the duplicate thread everyone. Can a mod delete the other please.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:15 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

First congrats on the GTS purchase.

I believe Porsche’s have some parts coated with cosmoline prior to being shipped to prevent corrosion and that the cosmoline burns off after a while.

Normally you would get that cosmoline smell after driving the car and the car was up to temperature.

my car had that smell for the first 15k miles.

What’s abnormal about your case is that you smell it right after start up - possibly the dealer did a “ sloppy “ oil changed and oil dripped onto the exhaust system. Personally if the smell didn’t go away in a few days I’d stop by the dealer and have them take a look.

Old 12-07-2018, 12:19 AM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Phantom400
Hi everyone, first time poster, long time lurker.

I finally pulled the trigger on a 2015 Cayman GTS. It's a CPO car with 24,500 miles on it. I was wondering if it is normal to smell oil on these mid engine cars? I've only had the car for a few days, and right after starting the engine I can smell oil (I think it's oil). The oil levels on the car are showing normal and I'm not seeing any oil drops on my garage floor. I can sometimes smell it after I turn the car off as well.

So is this normal or is this a case of excess oil spilling on the engine and just heating up? Thanks in advance for your time.

Dave
Have you peaked around to see if there are any visible signs of oil anywhere on the exhaust? Any drip marks where you are parking or underside of the car?
Old 12-07-2018, 12:26 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Dave, more congrats on your car and welcome to the forum.

I've had two mid-engine Porsches and with neither did I ever smell oil at any point during operation, whether upon startup, during driving, or after turning the car off, so I would say it is not normal, although I'm not sure it is something to be overly worried about either. If the odor persists, I'd just take it into your dealer (since it is CPO'd) and see if you can't replicate the smell for a service tech.

Good luck getting it sorted. Hope the car is otherwise living up to all your expectations.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:06 AM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The oil smell is normal, at least as far as I can tell. When I start my '16 cGTS (cold) there is a faint smell of oil. It goes away once the engine is warmed up. I suspect it's piston and ring clearances. Everything expands when hot and Porsche has the motor built to rev high and survive track abuse. It's probably a little loose at cold temps and allows a bit of oil by the seals. I only have 10k miles on my car, but at least a third of those are track miles. It hasn't shown any increase in oil consumption between annual oil changes. Always down one bar / light on the electronic dipstick on the dash after a year of driving and track days.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:24 AM
GTorTT
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

My 2011 TTS with 22k miles still has that smell after driving. I love it......
Old 12-07-2018, 10:27 AM
Phantom400
Intermediate

Thanks everyone, I'll keep an eye out for any leaks. I'll be around the dealer next week anyway, so I'll probably have them take a look.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:11 AM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Completely normal. Means you've been driving it well. You'll come to love that smell after a good day of driving hard.
Old 12-07-2018, 03:36 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

My car always smells like oil/burning, but doesn't actually consume oil. Who knows. My 2 prior 987's did too.

Welcome! 981GTS is a helluva entrance.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:21 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Similar thread from the 991 GT3 section:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...r-driving.html
Old 12-07-2018, 10:49 PM
Phantom400
Intermediate

Thanks for the input everyone, here is the latest.

This morning I used a flashlight to check under the car for oil drops and did not see any. I then angled the light up and saw what appears to be a shroud under the engine. The edges of the shroud in one area were visibly darker than the rest of it. When I touched it I had oil on my fingers.

The oil smell had really been bothering me as it was very strong and seemingly heavier than the normal hot engine smell in my opinion.

I called the 1 800 number and they came to pick it up and take it to the dealer. Everyone at the dealership and Porsche has been great to this point. Now I'm concerned about the car and am hoping it's not something serious . Hopefully I'll have more info on Monday.

An FYI, I absolutely love the car, its everything that I hoped. I love that flat 6!!!

I'm going to try and attach a photo.

Old 12-08-2018, 12:49 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Sounds like a sloppy oil change at some point.

I wouldnt worry about about it one bit as the 981 platform seems to be very reliable.

let us know what the dealer finds when he services your car.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:32 PM
jcorderojr
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Phantom400
Thanks for the input everyone, here is the latest.

This morning I used a flashlight to check under the car for oil drops and did not see any. I then angled the light up and saw what appears to be a shroud under the engine. The edges of the shroud in one area were visibly darker than the rest of it. When I touched it I had oil on my fingers.

The oil smell had really been bothering me as it was very strong and seemingly heavier than the normal hot engine smell in my opinion.

I called the 1 800 number and they came to pick it up and take it to the dealer. Everyone at the dealership and Porsche has been great to this point. Now I'm concerned about the car and am hoping it's not something serious . Hopefully I'll have more info on Monday.

An FYI, I absolutely love the car, its everything that I hoped. I love that flat 6!!!

I'm going to try and attach a photo.
It would be very surprising if the CPOn inspection did not see that oil???
Old 12-09-2018, 07:55 PM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Every Porsche I've ever owned has had a certain smell to it after driving it hard and then parking it in the garage. It freaked me out at first, but now I know it's the cosmoline smell that I've now come to love in a Porsche. Wet, dripping oil though is obviously a problem. Here's to hoping it's just a sloppy oil change! I would guess that is what it is, but you're absolutely right to have them check it out. Good luck!

Quick Reply: 1st Time Porsche Cayman GTS owner with a question