Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought a 2005 Boxster S - I can use a bit of help

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 08:11 PM
Doug427
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Just bought a 2005 Boxster S - I can use a bit of help

I just bought a 2005 Boxster S. I'm coming out of a 2002 Boxster S, so I am much more familiar with the 986 than the 987 models. This car is in wonderful shape, but it did get about 2-3" of water in it. Long story about how, but other than that, it's perfect. It does have a couple of issues that I need to sort out. Any help or answers to these questions would be greatly appreciated.

- Do these cars have an immobilizer? Is it under the seat like a 986? If not where is it?

-If it's not an immobilizer, what if anything is under the drivers seat?

-The convertible top, the drivers door window, and the drivers seat fore and aft movement are inoperative. If this was a 986, I'd say the immobilizer is at fault with regard to the window and top. Someone told me however that the 987 immobilizer is high on the firewall behind the dash. No way the water got high enough to reach the dash. The seat bottom definitely got wet. I'm thinking that the motor under the seat and or the seat movement switch got wet. The electric recline on that seat works fine. As for the top and door window, any ideas?

-Lastly, where can I get an online owners manual for the car? I went to the Porsche site and they don't go back that far.

I would greatly appreciate any input or ideas on this car that anyone might have.

Thanks!
Old 12-04-2018, 10:49 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

https://books4cars.com/listings.php?...005&type=Owner
Old 12-04-2018, 11:02 PM
Benjamin Cherry
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the Planet 9 downloads section before you pay for anything -- there's a high likelihood it's been uploaded there. You have to be logged in to see the downloads, I believe. The resource above is exactly what you asked for, but no reason to pay for a hard copy, imo -- you don't want the glossy cover, just the info. I don't think Porsche would object to you having a digital manual for a car you own.

Afraid I don't know the answer to your technical questions -- good luck!
Old 12-05-2018, 10:04 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

This appears to be a 2006 Boxster Owner's Manual in pdf format which may be worth a quick peek for purposes of attempting to troubleshoot your problem(s):

http://www.cyberdesignconcepts.com/g...anual_2006.pdf

Good luck.

Old 12-05-2018, 11:53 PM
Doug427
Advanced

Thanks guys - I just downloaded the owners manual, so at least I have that now. It seems to be very difficult to find tech help on the 987's. The 986's seem much more popular, and there is more tech help than you'd know what to do with. Is this the most active forum for the 987's?

Thanks again
Old 12-07-2018, 10:49 AM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug427
Thanks guys - I just downloaded the owners manual, so at least I have that now. It seems to be very difficult to find tech help on the 987's. The 986's seem much more popular, and there is more tech help than you'd know what to do with. Is this the most active forum for the 987's?

Thanks again
987s are both newer and more reliable than 986s, so people don’t need technical help as often. If I’d have bought a decade old BMW/Merc/Audi/Jag of a similar used price instead of my 987 Boxster, I’d probably have spent $10k in repairs to new issues by now rather than $0. The 987 is the car for people who grumble their Toyota Camry isn’t reliable enough. I’m not saying they’re immune to issues, but rather that issues are infrequent or caused by damage.

This forum is probably your best bet. The Planet-9 987 forum is very quiet.
Old 12-08-2018, 03:43 AM
Doug427
Advanced

Ok, thanks for that info.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:37 AM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

Lots of info over on the Cayman Register. You need to be a PCA member.
Old 12-08-2018, 03:12 PM
Doug427
Advanced

I'm a PCA member and just checked it out. Looks good, thanks!
Old 12-09-2018, 06:06 PM
Nigel1789
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug427
I just bought a 2005 Boxster S. I'm coming out of a 2002 Boxster S, so I am much more familiar with the 986 than the 987 models. This car is in wonderful shape, but it did get about 2-3" of water in it. Long story about how, but other than that, it's perfect. It does have a couple of issues that I need to sort out. Any help or answers to these questions would be greatly appreciated.

- Do these cars have an immobilizer? Is it under the seat like a 986? If not where is it?

-If it's not an immobilizer, what if anything is under the drivers seat?

-The convertible top, the drivers door window, and the drivers seat fore and aft movement are inoperative. If this was a 986, I'd say the immobilizer is at fault with regard to the window and top. Someone told me however that the 987 immobilizer is high on the firewall behind the dash. No way the water got high enough to reach the dash. The seat bottom definitely got wet. I'm thinking that the motor under the seat and or the seat movement switch got wet. The electric recline on that seat works fine. As for the top and door window, any ideas?

-Lastly, where can I get an online owners manual for the car? I went to the Porsche site and they don't go back that far.

I would greatly appreciate any input or ideas on this car that anyone might have.

Thanks!
Hi Doug. Your problem sounds unpleasantly familiar!
If my comments are not helpful, please excuse me butting in.
In your 2005 987, there are several electronic control boxes in the space where the roof fold down into; at least two. They are, obviously, very important.
A few years ago, I became aware of a sound like water slushing around somewhere - IT WAS WATER SLUSHING AROUND SOMEWHERE.
Eventually,windows malfunctioned, door locks actuated, roof failed.
The local Porsche Centre sorted it out, at a cost of £3000.........for new control boxes.
There are two drains from the roof fold down area onto the ground. They very easily block with leaves, particularly in Autumn, obviously.
There is now a retrofit fix, two neat little plastic grids which clip over the drain holes and stop the, blocking, although I now regularly check those drains.
If you put the roof into the maintenance position, about 24 inches from the windscreen, and lift the heavy back of the roof, you will find one drain on each side.
I was so upset that my Porsche had FAILED so expensively due to bad design, I made an appeal to Porsche GB, and they paid the bill.
just check those drains, and, once again, apologies if my input is unnecessary,
best wishes Doug
from Wiltshire, England, and, you will love your 05 987.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:26 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Just a note that my 2011 has the drain covers on it from the factory so Porsche must have caught the issue part way through production.

If our cars see any outdoor exposure the drain covers can easily get covered and that area would very quickly fill with water.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:17 PM
Doug427
Advanced

Thanks guys. Drains are clear, this water came from the ground up. The car apparently got caught up in rising water.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:13 PM
Dan Jacobs
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

The alarm control module is unfortunately under the drivers seat in your car
after it gets wet it will display the symptoms you're getting
We replaced several at my shop this year due to the above average rainfall
You'll need to replace the ECU and the keys and recode it
Old 12-10-2018, 04:24 PM
Doug427
Advanced

Thanks Dan - I looked under the seat and there is only one module under there. Everything I have seen on line calls it a "rear body control module". Is this the same as the alarm control module you're talking about? I haven't heard anything about having to replace the keys and ECU either, all this is new to me. Hopefully we've got our wires crossed somewhere. I was under the impression I could replace the rear body control module, have a properly equipped shop code it to the car, and off I'd go. Hopefully that's the case. My car is a 987.1, are you maybe thinking it's a 986?
Old 12-15-2018, 06:58 PM
Sapientoni
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, the rear control module is probably the problem but it is not the alarm control module. It controls the top motors, the rear tail lights, It doesn't require any recoding that I'm aware of. The 2006 I bought had the top opening arms damaged, a gear box damaged. One drip pan curled up and looking like a leather jacket sleeve that got caught in a washing machine. No drip pan at all on one side, abs sensor wires and brake lining wear electrical line twisted off on drivers side. not too difficult to fix, but just ticked that it was possibly a stupid car dealer in Tennessee that caused the "flood" stamp on the title. Absolutely no water in gas tank, engine, or trans. Just the floorboards in the carpet. I found a used control box for $200. lncidentally, I think a Cayman has the same box, even tho the top doesn't go down.

Quick Reply: Just bought a 2005 Boxster S - I can use a bit of help