Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CPO???

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 06:24 PM
loyujung
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CPO???

looking for 2016 Cayman GT4.

Is CPO really matter for this special car?

Thank you.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:43 PM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by loyujung
looking for 2016 Cayman GT4.

Is CPO really matter for this special car?

Thank you.
Well yes, of course it matters...but the question is whether or not it is worth paying extra for to you. If I were looking for a GT4, CPO wouldn't be a must have, though if I found the right optioned car for a good price and it happened to be a CPO, I'd pay a little extra for it. The only problem I've been seeing people write about is 3rd gear failure, and Porsche has been covering that from what I have gathered. CPO extends your factory warranty, so maybe that's enough of a reason to pay the extra for it.

But no, if it were me, I'd look to buy from a fellow enthusiast who was a meticulous owner and worry less about finding a CPO.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:50 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

There’s a separate forum for the GT4’s:

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4-235/

I think you’re going to get varying opinions on wether or not CPO is important.

My personal preference would to buy a car that is CPO as it gives me piece of mind.

As vbb stated there’s plenty of GT4’s listed here on Rennlist that are enthusiast owned and they seem to be priced well below what dealers are selling CPO cars for - you could take those savings and buy a third party warranty for piece of mind.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:43 PM
conceptDawg
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I'd probably look for a CPO GT4 just because of their 3rd gear failures. If you're going to track it then it would give you peace of mind a little further down the road. If you're not concerned about that and can "self insure" for events like that then CPO might not be for you. You have to weigh the pros and cons based on your situation.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:24 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

Depends on the car, owner, past and intended use. I would not get a CPO just for the 3rd gear issue as the issue effects a build range (if anything, stay out of the build range) or buy one with a replaced transmission.

I understand CPO costs the dealer $2800. If CPO were essentially free to the buyer, of course, take it. But dealers price it into the car. For many owners who buy low/lower mile cars and don’t put dd type miles on cars, it’s not a great value.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:44 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 591 Likes on 375 Posts

CPO is almost always better than no CPO.

Prices at dealers are asking prices...find a car you like and make a fair/reasonable offer and be prepared to walk away. There are plenty of GT4s available at GREAT prices now. Remember, even when brand new Porsche under-priced the cars by at least $10k-$15k, so buying one now at less than MSRP is the bargain of the century. If you doubt me you haven't driven one yet.

In my humble and well-informed opinion, the 3rd-gear tranny issue is a non-issue. Porsche will do the right thing and replace these trannys even out of warranty.

Quick Reply: CPO???