Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTB 981 Boxster, but confusing audio options

Old 12-01-2018, 11:22 PM
Boomhauer
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default WTB 981 Boxster, but confusing audio options

Hi everyone,
Drove a '13 Boxster and fell in love with it, however, in retrospect, I realized it didn't have steering wheel audio & phone controls. Coming from a modest Kia, it has become a must have for me as this will be a daily driver as I am on the phone all the damn time and love streaming bluetooth (BT) audio. Researching briefly, I find there is the multifunction wheel (MFSW), but it seems to be as common as hens' teeth when I start stacking all my desires (S, Auto, MFSW, Colors: Blue, Black, White, Grey). Hoping y'all can help answer a few questions as I contemplate compromise and perhaps a self-MFSW upgrade (https://gpsadapter.us/collections/fr...=2210857091083).
  1. Can all cars stream BT Audio?
    1. Do all cars sound alike (apart from better speakers)?
  2. Do all cars have integrated telephone?
  3. Am I crazy? Should I just keep hunting and not sacrifice?
Appreciate any feedback and suggestions.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:54 AM
jg (atl)
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts

1& 2. Yes, AFAIK all 981’s offer integrated BT and phone.
1A. Audio options include standard, Bose,and Burmeister, each progressively more expensive on a new car. Personally, I prefer to listen to the symphony in flat 6.
3. Only you can decide. I have sport steering wheel with no buttons and have no trouble reaching over to the infotainment module and touching buttons. I had a base Macan loaner this week with MFSW and it really did not do much for me. It is a bit further reach in the SUV to get to the infotainment unit, so maybe the MFSW is a good idea in that application.

I have a buddy with a 981 Cayman S that has the MFSW and is thinking of switching out to the sport steering wheel. Boils down to personal preferences.

BTW, the 981 platform is A-mazing! You will love the car.

Last edited by jg (atl); 12-02-2018 at 09:57 AM. Reason: More info to provide
Old 12-02-2018, 03:09 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Base audio system does not stream music (phone does work). It can be hacked by adding a BT interface that plugs into the aux port in the glove box. I did this but the audio speakers for the base system are so limited that it’s debatable whether worth the trouble..
Old 12-02-2018, 03:16 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I think that to get built in BT audio streaming you needed to upgrade to the PCM infotainment system, which was expensive but probably very common. If memory serves you could also get upgraded “Sound Plus” speakers as part of the deal for “free”. Bose and Burmeister were additional cost.
Old 12-02-2018, 04:08 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On the lack of steering wheel controls, keep in mind that the Boxster has a small cockpit. Everything is within easy reach, unlike my F250, where I have to reach across to access the radio controls if not for the steering wheel buttons.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:50 PM
Boomhauer
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I know it's a small small (cabin)

@ Drew - My first vehicle was a single cab S10, and I didn't need power windows because I could reach all the way across. I've become accustomed to a thumb flick for my media on my daily commute. Plus ability to mute/unmute during conference calls is a big value add vs. taking my eyes off the road.
The following users liked this post:
seatbelt123 (01-29-2023)
Old 12-02-2018, 10:43 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
@ Drew - My first vehicle was a single cab S10, and I didn't need power windows because I could reach all the way across. I've become accustomed to a thumb flick for my media on my daily commute. Plus ability to mute/unmute during conference calls is a big value add vs. taking my eyes off the road.
I get it, I have a Macan and I find myself reaching for the volume controls on the steering wheel in my 981 sometimes as well.

But thing is- I got over it. It really is that simple. You manage. Or you buy something else. Porsche has been notorious for not keeping up with the Kardashians in the options game- or at the very least, making them arbitrarily scarce or prohibitively expensive. I take plenty of conference calls in the car and it works just fine. Hell I've even had no complaints from people when I drive with the top down.

Seems to me a silly thing to get wrapped around the axle on. You asked for honest opinions/advice... there it is.

As for audio quality, the base stereo is authentically bad; however, I wouldn't rule out an otherwise perfect car because of it because it is an upgradable feature. The Bose is perfectly acceptable; for all intents and purposes just as good as the Harman Kardon systems I've had in my 15 STI and M4 and the "Logic7" system in my 335i... all of which may not win any awards but I've found to be completely adequate and even enjoyable. The Burmester is probably a waste. I'm sure it's great, but it seems like a $5000+ factory stereo is best suited to something like a Lexus or Merc. The acoustics of a sports car cabin don't seem to me to really be ideal for that kind of sound experience... but I've spent substantial money on more questionable things so to each their own.
Old 12-02-2018, 10:52 PM
algiorda
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 2013 Boxster and I came with BT Telephone and Satellite Radio with the BASE radio. I removed the Base radio and put in a Pioneer AVIC-W8400NEX system with Backup Camera, Satellite Radio. I do have the steering wheel controls, but they are really not needed with the new radio. The radio does have a remote control, but I don't use it. The 8400 comes with Wireless Carplay, Bluetooth Phone, and really makes the Base speakers come alive with Punch and power.

If I were you, I'd find a nicely equipped Boxster with a Base radio and replace the crappy Porsche Radio with a TOL GPS/NAV and don't look back.
The following users liked this post:
Diamond Dave (12-27-2022)
Old 12-26-2022, 08:12 PM
DrewM
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

There are 2 radio options;
CDR-31 - no BT audio, no usb input, no nav, etc.
PCM 3.x - has the above (I think, not sure on BT audio)

Then the rest of the system is broken up between;
Base sound system
Bose -
Burmeister

You could get CDR with Bose (maybe Burmeister?), this is how my 981 is equipped. And you could get PCM with the base sound system (IIRC).

You can retrofit a later MFSW if you like, but it’s pretty ‘meh’ (IMHO) feature wise, to me it wouldn’t be worth the expense to do it.
Old 12-27-2022, 10:07 AM
Ernest72
Instructor

Received 142 Likes on 89 Posts

My 14 cayman base has Bose, Nav, BT phone, USB in the glove compartment. So I can play music, Sirius and other apps from the phone and it charges the phone. Since I mostly listen to the flat 6, I am not gonna bother with aftermarket CarPlay. I don’t see the need for this car. In my daily CarPlay is a must.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: WTB 981 Boxster, but confusing audio options