Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I just installed the new updated 987.2 shift cables

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 01:10 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Knowing that the fore-aft play increases before a possible cable breakage is very helpful and perhaps someone can document how much play exists when new cables are installed vs a higher mileage car.

As far as shifters go, I can’t comment on the Numeric since I don’t have it but I can say that the GT3 shifter is a very nice upgrade even with the stock cables. It eliminates the vagueness you experience when trying to find a gear, eliminates nearly all of the slop in neutral and when shifting and it feels more precise. Personally I found no adverse affects such as added noise, only a thinner wallet.
Old 01-05-2019, 04:29 PM
A432
Rennlist Member

Received 351 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueBoxter
Thank you for the very informative post and pictures.

Did my 987.2 Base Boxster with 40K km a month ago.

Decided to go with just updated Porsche cables as they where available at the dealership and the parts department never heard about new brackets. It works just fine with the old brackets and, I hope, will last longer then the old model, as the cables themselves are supposed to be beefier. I just couldn't see how to get at the brackets from my back and I thought one of them was riveted.

Didn't have a luxury of the lift so did it on the stands in my office garage to the amusement of my co-workers

The new cables do feel better. Shifter upgrade is next. Would you recommend GT3 shifter or Function First - Shift Right?
You're welcome. If you don't mind doing the mods on your stock shifter, I'd go with the FF shift right since some of the play is in the pivot and some of the play is in the side arm, which are both improved in the shift right.
Old 10-13-2021, 11:12 PM
Steve987
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Contact with A432

Hi. I am planning to replace shift cables, left-side bracket, and lever with the upgrade OEM parts on my 2011, 987.2, 6-speed. Was hoping to speak with you (A432) to pick your brain about your experience doing that. Plus raise a few questions. I sent you a friend request. I can be reached by email/phone.

Thank you,
Steve

Last edited by Steve987; 10-13-2021 at 11:13 PM.
Old 10-14-2021, 09:22 AM
The Duke
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve987
Hi. I am planning to replace shift cables, left-side bracket, and lever with the upgrade OEM parts on my 2011, 987.2, 6-speed. Was hoping to speak with you (A432) to pick your brain about your experience doing that. Plus raise a few questions. I sent you a friend request. I can be reached by email/phone.

Thank you,
Steve
Please post the contents of your QA in this channel.

This is something that I plan to do next spring and the more info going in the better.
The following 2 users liked this post by The Duke:
Steve987 (10-14-2021), tripedal (10-15-2021)
Old 02-07-2022, 08:24 PM
The Duke
Rennlist Member

@Steve987 I'm following up on my above request. Today, I received shipment of shifter parts from Suncoast - GT3 shifter, updated cable and parts - and I'm focused on gathering info on this upgrade in anticipation of a March/April install.

Have you had the opportunity to install your updated parts? If so, any lessons learned worth sharing?
Old 02-23-2022, 10:02 AM
Steve987
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Duke
@Steve987 I'm following up on my above request. Today, I received shipment of shifter parts from Suncoast - GT3 shifter, updated cable and parts - and I'm focused on gathering info on this upgrade in anticipation of a March/April install.

Have you had the opportunity to install your updated parts? If so, any lessons learned worth sharing?
Hi Duke,

Excuse the slow reply. I did tackle the switchover two months ago. All's well. Would be happy to discuss the experience. Email me at sfp54@aol.com.

Steve
The following users liked this post:
The Duke (02-23-2022)
Old 02-24-2022, 03:50 PM
Van Larson
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Shifting

I have the oem short shift and updated cables, also the HK shift **** weights. Pleased with significant improvement.
Old 05-30-2022, 12:25 PM
Soapy1730
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A432 was there any tricks to remove the old pivot bracket?

Your post gave me the courage to attempt to change the brackets and cables on my own. Everything was going well until it came time to remove the old pivot bracket and connector rod that connects left and right side of the transmission. Is there any tricks or advice that you can give for popping the connector rod off the pivot bracket and removing the rod? Thanks
Old 05-30-2022, 03:15 PM
The Duke
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Soapy1730
Your post gave me the courage to attempt to change the brackets and cables on my own. Everything was going well until it came time to remove the old pivot bracket and connector rod that connects left and right side of the transmission. Is there any tricks or advice that you can give for popping the connector rod off the pivot bracket and removing the rod? Thanks
If you have a thin bicycle wrench handy, you can fit the wrench part between the top of the lever with the lollipop and that bracket to pop it off.

When putting everything back together - I found it difficult to pop it back on. I used a very thin, but resistant to bending, seal remover (approx 12" long) to create enough leverage to get it to re-set.

You can find a bit more detail here, https://rennlist.com/forums/987-foru...l#post18078103
Old 05-30-2022, 04:29 PM
Soapy1730
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks Duke! Pivot bracket still kicking my backside

I was able to get the top lever off per your suggestion and have the nut off the pivot bracket, but having a hard time removing the pivot bracket. Does it need to be pulled off or twisted off? Thanks
Old 05-30-2022, 05:49 PM
The Duke
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Soapy1730
I was able to get the top lever off per your suggestion and have the nut off the pivot bracket, but having a hard time removing the pivot bracket. Does it need to be pulled off or twisted off? Thanks
It pulls off. If you want to hope on a call, I've just pm'd you my phone number.
Old 06-03-2022, 05:48 PM
supercroc
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by The Duke
It pulls off. If you want to hope on a call, I've just pm'd you my phone number.
Worked on cable/bracket upgrade on '11 Boxster Spyder. One thing we did which I haven't seen was to remove the accordian air intake which allowed access to the front bracket from the top (helps if you're in the trunk). Also a bit of WD40 on the cables makes positioning the Pass Through piece very easy. HOWEVER, despite much wiggling, the pivot piece refuses to relinquish its hold on the transmission shifter shaft. Currently marinating overnight in PB Blaster. Any suggestions? Everything else is done, a bit of patience and a helper makes it a very doable task.

Last edited by supercroc; 06-06-2022 at 09:31 AM. Reason: misselling
Old 06-05-2022, 05:58 PM
supercroc
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Combination of A&P tech buddy and pry bar got pivot loose. There was a bit of corrosion on shaft which got polished off. Initial results very positive, making this a recommended project. Also a good excuse for a bit of deep cleaning.
The Duke (06-06-2022)
Old 06-20-2022, 10:43 PM
qwe
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Talking

My 2012 Boxster Black Edition just broke its shifter cable. Fortunately I was left with 1st gear and was able to get home. This is the first time I was thankful for such a tall 1st gear.
i had the new revised shifter parts installed. Like A432, the OP, I have a factory short shifter. Comparing my prior E46 M3 shifter feel, which is a 10.0 for this scale, I agree with A432 that the shift feel has gone from a 7.0/10.0 to an 8.5/10.0. Well worth it.
There is an increase in mechanical noise when the shifter is moved. You can hear it with the engine off, but i did not notice it when the engine is running. The old part in the picture above had a rubber insulator that the new part does not. It is hard to see from this picture (thanks to A432 for the picture), but the entire plate the 'ball' sits on in the original part (on the right) is isolated in a large rubber piece. This part was a !#@!% to get off, and is a source of failure.
I had the work done by my Indy and it took him 4.5 hours to make the swap. It was a bit pricey but worth it.
Charlie C (06-21-2022)

Quick Reply: So I just installed the new updated 987.2 shift cables