Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on recent '12 Cayman PPI

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 02:50 PM
Matt Rode
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on recent '12 Cayman PPI

So the report came back and it looks pretty reasonable but a few things jumped out.. the airbag potential deployment (no carfax reported accidents) and the oil overfill.

Any advice on the whole report would be appreciated...first time buyer here (previously only owned audi)

68k miles as well and nothing in range 2 on the Rev counter (doesnt matter much with automatic)
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
PPI porsche 12 cayman.pdf (266.4 KB, 100 views)
Old 11-29-2018, 03:10 PM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 138 Posts

I've got a '12 Cayman R and an '07 Boxster S both bought used. The Cayman R from an obsessive owner with all records and the Boxster from a Buick dealer with no records to speak of. Both have turned out great.

There could be an innocent explanation on the airbag, but I would track that item down and assume there was a bump that resulted in deployment. If it was a legitimate bodyshop, Carfax would have picked it up. You could also have someone swapping out a steering wheel and replacing the airbag module at the same time-- unlikely but could have happened.

I assume your PPI didn't note any bodywork/repaint. Maybe take it to a good bodyshop to see what they think. That one would trouble me a lot, I think, until I knew more.

How much oil overfill? It takes 8 quarts or so, so a little shouldn't do anything. A lot and it could have caused some unwelcome pressure. They didn't see any seepage did they? Are there records of regular oil changes prior to this?

I would be a bit troubled by the fact that this was a car that wasn't really kept well. Deferred major service (how many miles?), dirty filter, needs brake flush, the overfilled oil (DIY?), non N rated tires (if the tires are crap that tells me someone wanted to save $, if it has Michelin Pilots I'd change my mind).

I don't really like the PPi form these guys gave you, as a Porsche dealer, they can run a VIN on the car and tell you when the car was seen by a Porsche dealer and what for. I got that for the Boxster I bought from a Buick dealer. I'd hate to buy a car that hadn't had regular oil changes, and you got it with the overfilled and first change.

OTOH, these cars are tough as nails, you may be getting a bargain so grab it. Except the cup holder, it's not tough as nails at all, they're all POS.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:52 PM
Matt Rode
5th Gear

Thanks for the response! very helpful

I asked about the oil overfill and they could not tell me how much it was overfilled without draining it a little and seeing if the alert turns off and do it that way since there is no conventional dipstick they say.

The service history does show the oil changed every year so that is good at least.

The technician also mentioned he did not visually see anything related to paint work being done

Trying to gauge if I would be able to get some money off the car. FYI it is from a non-Porsche dealer
Old 11-29-2018, 04:15 PM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Rode
Thanks for the response! very helpful

I asked about the oil overfill and they could not tell me how much it was overfilled without draining it a little and seeing if the alert turns off and do it that way since there is no conventional dipstick they say.

The service history does show the oil changed every year so that is good at least.

The technician also mentioned he did not visually see anything related to paint work being done

Trying to gauge if I would be able to get some money off the car. FYI it is from a non-Porsche dealer
I've found that a experienced body shop is much better at spotting body work than a tech. If they are serious they should let you get a second opinion. Airbags don't deploy for no reason.

No, there is no dipstick. I'd ask them to actually change the oil and see what comes out before committing to purchase. I understand now the service light is connected to the overfill condition. Seriously, if there's a ton of extra oil I'd be concerned. I don't know how sensitive the sensor really is. On my cars adding about a third of a quart takes it from a bar down to full.

If you have the VIN you can walk into a Porsche dealer and get a history yourself. Someone may balk at first but they will give it to you, just black out the owner name. But it sounds like they already have it, did you get it in your hands?

Good luck with all this and welcome to Porscheland.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:22 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

I'd use the airbag deployment to leverage a lower price but it wouldn't stop me from buying. The oil level reading is notoriously inconsistent and inaccurate in these cars, so that alone would not cause me great concern either without knowing how much over it was. There are threads on here about it reading different at different times (including increasing), and the bars are a third to half quart which is not a lot.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:37 PM
ekam
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 314 Posts

How does one wear out cup holders? Drinking too much supersized coke from McD?
Old 11-29-2018, 04:39 PM
Matt Rode
5th Gear

Originally Posted by ekam
How does one wear out cup holders? Drinking too much supersized coke from McD?
Lmao i was thinking the same thing and the price is quite absurd as well
Old 11-29-2018, 04:41 PM
Matt Rode
5th Gear

Originally Posted by PorscheAddict
I'd use the airbag deployment to leverage a lower price but it wouldn't stop me from buying. The oil level reading is notoriously inconsistent and inaccurate in these cars, so that alone would not cause me great concern either without knowing how much over it was. There are threads on here about it reading different at different times (including increasing), and the bars are a third to half quart which is not a lot.
Thanks that is really helpful. I had the same issues in my previous Audi where the oil reading sensors on the dashboard were all over the place and didn't make sense often times. How much of a price differential do you think airbag deployment can leverage?
Old 11-29-2018, 05:49 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Thanks that is really helpful. I had the same issues in my previous Audi where the oil reading sensors on the dashboard were all over the place and didn't make sense often times. How much of a price differential do you think airbag deployment can leverage?
Maybe none, maybe a chunk? I wouldn't say "$1k off because of the airbag" or anything. I'd use that to make the offer seem better overall. I'd offer toward the low end of fair market for your market and explain the offer with the airbag issue, oil overfill issue, and whatever other negatives you can mention to make it seem more justified.

Not saying that's the right way to do it, I paid asking price because the car was specced how I wanted it and there aren't enough racing yellow ones to go around.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:54 PM
RWPinNC
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by andy7777
I've found that a experienced body shop is much better at spotting body work than a tech. If they are serious they should let you get a second opinion. Airbags don't deploy for no reason.

No, there is no dipstick. I'd ask them to actually change the oil and see what comes out before committing to purchase. I understand now the service light is connected to the overfill condition. Seriously, if there's a ton of extra oil I'd be concerned. I don't know how sensitive the sensor really is. On my cars adding about a third of a quart takes it from a bar down to full.

If you have the VIN you can walk into a Porsche dealer and get a history yourself. Someone may balk at first but they will give it to you, just black out the owner name. But it sounds like they already have it, did you get it in your hands?

Good luck with all this and welcome to Porscheland.
Put it on a rack, remove and empty the oil filter, and replace. About half a liter. If needed, start it and repeat the process.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:14 AM
algiorda
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I wouldn't overreact to the Oil Overfill issue. It's so easy to do on these vehicles. I have overfilled 1/4 pint and received the overfill warnings after 500 miles or so, then it disappears for 200 miles, then comes back. I doubt it is doing any harm to the engine; the message tells you it's possible to drive, doesn't it?
Old 11-30-2018, 06:05 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Lmao i was thinking the same thing and the price is quite absurd as well
I have a good policy - there are no cup holders as far as I'm concerned.
Old 11-30-2018, 06:07 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

So the report came back and it looks pretty reasonable but a few things jumped out.. the airbag potential deployment (no carfax reported accidents) and the oil overfill.

Any advice on the whole report would be appreciated...first time buyer here (previously only owned audi)

68k miles as well and nothing in range 2 on the Rev counter (doesnt matter much with automatic)
I'd definitely use the airbag issue to get $$ off. I don't think it is too often you see "body shop visit with airbag deployment..."

Quick Reply: Advice on recent '12 Cayman PPI