Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Compartment fan - failure : maybe a solution

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 06:45 AM
Neko
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Engine Compartment fan - failure : maybe a solution

I've noticed lots of people in the forums had this issue where the rear fan behind passenger seat is blowing hard and you have this on the dashboard:

It happened to me from time to time last year and last week it came back: the fan was basically on blowing hard from the moment I was starting the car and maybe around 1 hour after leaving the car.

Here's what I did and worked for me:
- I had some Durametric: error code was P1157 "sensor engine compartment, value too low"
- I checked that the sensor was in its proper spot (and not falling in the engine compartment bay where it would connect directly with the hot metal parts), which was the case; I simply replaced the rubber joint anyway. Fan still blowing hard.
- I tested the relay D5 (DME that controls the engine fan) : it was working fine. When you take it off the fan stops, when you put it back, the fan blowing resumes.
So: tested and working. Fan still blowing hard.
- I then moved on to the sensor itself and was now suspecting the manometer. I swiched mine for another one I had, and each time the manometer was installed the fan blowing resumed. So it was not the manometer... Fan still blowing hard.
- I then noticed that the 2 small cables connecting the sensor to the "engine bay" was sectionned. So I had some welding and taping done. Fan not blowing anymore.
I suspect a mouse was there cause I found some tiny excrement there; sometimes the live in the engine compartment and they just chew on anything they find.
There 2 cables where the only ones not protected by tape in all the engine bay.

So it was a simple repair actually, without having to change any relay or even the fan itself.
Worst case scenario would be having to change both the fan ($100) and the expensive calculator ($700-1000)...

Mods: I didn't know where to post this cause there are 2 cayman forums... sorry if double posting

Quick Reply: Engine Compartment fan - failure : maybe a solution