Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for performance DE in So Cal...

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 03:53 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,318 Likes on 787 Posts
Default Looking for performance DE in So Cal...

So I've been an auto enthusiast since as far back as I can recall (and spent almost a decade as a tech/advisor at a local Porsche dealer) but I have never done a DE course or driven on a track. I'm interested in doing so and thought I'd reach out for some suggestions about different options here in So Cal. I'd rather NOT beat up my Spyder so I'm looking for a program that provides the vehicle. Any recommendations?
Old 11-28-2018, 05:57 PM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 138 Posts

I can't help you on So Cal, as I'm in the Midwest, but generally..

You can probably do some rent a session rides at one of those Las Vegas outfits, but I don't think you will be happy with it. I get the feeling it's a chance for people who have an SUV to brag to friends they drove a Lambo. Maybe I'm totally wrong on that, that's what it looks like from a distance.

I've been driving on tracks with a number of cars, including a Cayman R, for years, so here's my take.

There is very little that is unsafe and likely to cause you pain and heartache if you find a local PCA club event and sign up. You will be put into a novice group and assigned an instructor who will help you out on getting quicker and more comfortable. Everyone's cars will be inspected, there are unlikely to be wheels flying off and oil spattered on the track. There is no chance at all that you will use a Spyder's capabilities even at 50% while you check out how you like track driving.

I've probably been at 100 track days, probably more, and have never seen anything other than a broken spoiler or bad wheel in a novice group. Stuff does happen, in my experience more so at the intermediate (first solo) level than anywhere else, but you have to both convince your instructor and then yourself you want to go faster before a PCA group will let you.

I was in exactly your position 10 or 12 years ago and strongly encourage you to give it a go through the PCA. Our local chapter has an event geared especially to first timers, who show up with all kinds of great cars. Many even come back for a second day!
Old 11-28-2018, 06:47 PM
Manda Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

go out and watch POC this weekend at Willow Springs.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:28 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

+1 on the PCA DE recommendation. If you’ve never driven on track, you won’t be driving hard enough first time out to beat up on your Spyder. Take the Spyder.
Old 11-28-2018, 08:22 PM
Opus1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great advice from all.
Go to WWW.PCA.org/region-directory
Link to your region and you will find a tonne of info.
If you haven't gone to a PCA meeting , try it , you won't be disappointed.
100% of what Andy7777 said.
The instructors ride along side you and they don't want you or your Spyder or them or anyone else to get hurt.
And at the novice level, any one who acts like a smart **** will be black Flagged. You can also get track insurance .
You can't get on the track without an inspection or helmet, My local Porsche dealer does it for free YMMV
I understand your apprehension driving your Porsche, BUT the car is built to handle anything you can throw at it (at least at your level :>)
I track and Autocross my stock 981, aside of some miner tyre wear , It's a great reason to flush the brakes.
Let us know how you make out .
and if you think you love your Spyder now....You have no idea what your missing.
Old 11-28-2018, 09:15 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

I am nuts about my Spyder and care for it like a member of the family. Even so, I couldn't resist tracking it once at Sebring. And I'm not a novice. I thrashed it that day on one of the most brutal tracks in North America. It performed flawlessly. I haven't tracked it again since. Pushing things on the track the way I do, I prefer a dedicated track car so that day was a one off experience. Here is a pic of my Spyder and 986 S track car together at Sebring.
Attached Images  
Old 11-28-2018, 11:39 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

If you want to flog someone else’s car my vote would be PEC, I did it last year and I wouldn’t hesitate to do it again. It’s increased my confidence considerably and to me was worth every penny.

Next best option is the PCA DE events which seem to be at least once a month.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:21 AM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rent a spec Miata for the day....
Old 11-29-2018, 01:34 PM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

PECLA (car included) and POC (need your own car)
Old 11-29-2018, 02:03 PM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Schmidts Cat
Rent a spec Miata for the day....
Heh, a buddy of mine runs a spec Miata team in SCCA, he wants about $2000 a weekend for one of his (and you need an SCCA license). Of course, you could buy a NA Miata off Craigslist for about $2,000, trash it on tracks for a season of DE and sell it for the cost of a set of tires. There's that.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:55 PM
06C2s
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I second PEC LA, done it twice and had a great time. The instructors are pretty good and they do let you drive hard if you are capable. I autoX my GT4 (6-10x yr) and have done a couple track days through PCA and had a blast and have had zero damage so bring that Spidy out!
Old 12-01-2018, 01:43 AM
A432
Rennlist Member

Received 349 Likes on 204 Posts

POC
http://www.porscheclub.com/
Old 12-02-2018, 09:32 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,318 Likes on 787 Posts

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I might try the PECLA first just to get my feet wet.

Quick Reply: Looking for performance DE in So Cal...