Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XP9 oil for daily driving

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 01:37 PM
mytime1
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Default XP9 oil for daily driving

So obviously the consensus is that this is oil is much better for track use but I have heard that it can be bad for daily driving due to fewer detergents? Does that sound correct? I just switched from Mobil 1 to this on my last oil change and am about to do another one here in the next few days. All daily driver miles (some at higher RPM's and speeds) but mostly regular driving. Should I be using this oil only for track use or is it fine for daily driving? I change oil every 5,000 miles when not tracking.
Old 11-28-2018, 02:55 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 605 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by mytime1
So obviously the consensus is that this is oil is much better for track use but I have heard that it can be bad for daily driving due to fewer detergents? Does that sound correct? I just switched from Mobil 1 to this on my last oil change and am about to do another one here in the next few days. All daily driver miles (some at higher RPM's and speeds) but mostly regular driving. Should I be using this oil only for track use or is it fine for daily driving? I change oil every 5,000 miles when not tracking.
If you send an email directly to the tech support address on Driven's website, you will get a response to your specific question. On RL, you will get a lot of opinions, some educated, some not. Go to the source is my recommendation. I exchange emails and have had a few phone calls with their technical lead, Lake Speed Jr., regarding use of their products in my car. Good customer support if you ask.
Old 11-28-2018, 03:20 PM
mytime1
Instructor

Sent the question to them. Thanks
Old 11-28-2018, 04:10 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Sent the question to them. Thanks
Please share whatever feedback you get. Thanks.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:26 PM
ChicagoSpeed996
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I believe the answer you will get from Lake is no, it is not developed for the street. The additive package is meant to be very strong under race conditions but, for lack of better words, is used up during those conditions and would not provide long term protection for a street driven vehicle.
Old 11-30-2018, 01:27 PM
jfpell
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 41 Posts

DT40 is the street oil from DRIVEN / Joe Gibbs. There is no need to consider or wonder if XP9 can be used on the street. DT40 fills that street application. XP9 only has a driving life of ~750 miles before its additives are spent.
Old 11-30-2018, 01:38 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

So obviously the consensus is that this is oil is much better for track use but I have heard that it can be bad for daily driving due to fewer detergents? Does that sound correct?
You heard right.

Originally Posted by jfpell
DT40 is the street oil from DRIVEN / Joe Gibbs. There is no need to consider or wonder if XP9 can be used on the street. DT40 fills that street application. XP9 only has a driving life of ~750 miles before its additives are spent.
Yup.

Old 11-30-2018, 04:21 PM
mytime1
Instructor

Well, I never heard back, but I guess this is the consensus. Appreciate the info. Will change with DT-40.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:20 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Well, I never heard back, but I guess this is the consensus. Appreciate the info. Will change with DT-40.
Lake recommended their new oil, DI-40 (Direct Injection "DI") for my 981. It is specifically intended for direct injection engines. New oil released about 1 year ago. It is a 0w-40. Per Lake, it has a compatible additive package with DT-40 and can be mixed if you have a few quarts of DT-40 to use up. YMMV. Lake is aware I track my car frequently and sees my UOA results.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:03 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I’ve been running DT40 in my Spyder and I’m very happy with it. I wasn’t aware of the DI-40, what makes it different than the DT-40?
Old 11-30-2018, 10:16 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I’ve been running DT40 in my Spyder and I’m very happy with it. I wasn’t aware of the DI-40, what makes it different than the DT-40?
I have been using DT40 in my car for a long time also. Not the whole picture, but from what I understand the base stocks and additive package is better suited for dealing with sooty combustion created by DI engines in some operating conditions and also decreases crankcase oil vapors that end up creating deposits on upstream side of intake valves. The Driven website and LN Engineering website has more info. Lake first told me about it in 2016 sometime, back when they were in testing or development phases of the new blend. Some people may not be aware but the additive package in DT40 was revised over a year ago. Still a high zinc content but the balance of other additives was revised. I have UOA results that clearly show it and I contacted Lake to ask why the big changes and he confirmed there was a revised additive package for DT40.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:44 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by okie981
I have been using DT40 in my car for a long time also. Not the whole picture, but from what I understand the base stocks and additive package is better suited for dealing with sooty combustion created by DI engines in some operating conditions and also decreases crankcase oil vapors that end up creating deposits on upstream side of intake valves. The Driven website and LN Engineering website has more info. Lake first told me about it in 2016 sometime, back when they were in testing or development phases of the new blend. Some people may not be aware but the additive package in DT40 was revised over a year ago. Still a high zinc content but the balance of other additives was revised. I have UOA results that clearly show it and I contacted Lake to ask why the big changes and he confirmed there was a revised additive package for DT40.
Good to know! I’m going to ask my tech if he carries the DI version.

Quick Reply: XP9 oil for daily driving