Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

has anyone here driven a 911? what did you think of it compared to your car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 06:51 AM
bvanlieu
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The enjoyment of them has a lot of subjectivity. Few folks are driving them 8/10ths (yes people track them but as a % of ownership its low), so other things come into play.

There is no wrong answer, whether a base 981 or a 991 (pick one of the 20 types).

We recently tried to objectively compare them when considering an upgrade from our 987.1 base, which is a raw fun car for the back roads. Quick not fast. You can beat on it without being in arrest me speeds nearly as quickly.

Since the NA 6 is near dead, the purists in us like the sound and feel (the 718 is a better car, not a better C/B IMHO for example).

Comparing 991.1 to Cayman S (which takes most of the subjective interior/looks out, engines are basically very close in power, weight close) you are left with comparing driving dynamics, the laughable rear seat, storage, and looks. The Mid vs Rear is pretty hard to distinguish in normal driving, lets face it. I'm not talking about older 911's here with much different suspensions, but something as close to apple and apples as you can make it. The other comparison was 987 to 997, but the pricing of hte 997.2 cars are higher then market due to demand for the model (and lack of sales in the recession).

The 991 is really a GT car. If one was driving higher speeds, HWY commute, its a better choice. While minimally larger, the car gives the sensation of being bigger. Back road tossing, for us the Cayman was just more playful.

911 was an adult car. Without the Sports Exhaust, its arguably too sterile. 981 S with Sports 2 is giggle worthy all day. Should just call it the juvenile button. Its not without flaws as any car...biggest to me is the gearing. Its too tall, probably to help distance the 911 performance a bit. 2nd gear redlines 10 MPH higher then the 987.1, and po po knows it.

We ended up with a nicely setup CGTS. We have the means to get a similar 911.1, drove a very nice Cab even but for us the 911 tax wasn't worth it (with close to similar specs its in the 20-25K range from the shopping we were doing). To the snobs out there meh...if you are that effected by what people say about your car, you are doing life all wrong

Does it mean the 981 is better? Nope, that is to me just too strong of a word. I think there are just better fits in how the drivers will use the car.

- b

Quick Reply: has anyone here driven a 911? what did you think of it compared to your car?