Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rodent problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 08:47 PM
GregWormald
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I never have a problem with mice, rats, etc.--the brown snakes keep the population down. (The brown snake is the second most poisonous snake in the world! I'm glad I don't see them often at all.)
Old 11-25-2018, 10:33 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 560 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by GregWormald
I never have a problem with mice, rats, etc.--the brown snakes keep the population down. (The brown snake is the second most poisonous snake in the world! I'm glad I don't see them often at all.)
Here in North Georgia, King Snakes take care of the vermin and venomous reptiles most of the year. We have three 6-8' Kings that hang around the house most of the warm months, but as soon as it gets cool, the snakes hibernate and the vermin emerge with a vengeance. We've had vermin in and around the house many times, but never in our cars. Go figure...
Old 11-26-2018, 09:35 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Spread cotton *****, each with a few drops of peppermint oil, around the car. They smell nice (much nicer than moth *****) and seem to repel the mice.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:52 AM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the suggestions regarding repellents. I'm going to keep setting traps until they go undisturbed for a couple of days.

As of this morning, I've trapped two mice inside the car and none outside (But they are disturbing traps outside the car. They're just so small they don't always trip the trap). From signs outside the car, it appears they are climbing up the right front wheel/suspension, but I just cannot find the actual entry point into the cabin.

As I stated before, I removed a lot of seed and debris from under and around the battery and cabin filter housing, but the cabin filter and filter housing are intact. There are no signs of seed, debris or shredded/gnawed material inside the cabin...Just mice. Anyone have any idea about entry points other than the cabin filter?
Old 11-26-2018, 03:57 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I keep lots of decon blocks around the shop and hanger for this reason. Glue traps too, although this year, I have caught 2 baby rattlesnakes in them!!!
Old 11-26-2018, 04:24 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

I use glue traps and cut up bars of Irish Spring (Original scent only), apparently they hate the smell.
Old 11-26-2018, 04:37 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 651 Likes on 405 Posts

Someone recommended Swifer cleaning pads to be placed in strategic places around the car. I bought some but so far cannot vouch for their effectiveness. They don't have a smell I noticed so I wonder but I'm trying and will report back.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:49 PM
Phil McKrevice
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear that dryer sheets keep mice away. I am tempted to put some by the cabin filter as I put my car into storage today. And they love to chew on the wires because of the electric shocks they get. It gives them a little buzz. Kind of how we get when we drink alcohol.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:30 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Phil McKrevice
...and they love to chew on the wires because of the electric shocks they get. It gives them a little buzz. Kind of how we get when we drink alcohol.
So, reversing the logic, if I stick a paper clip in a wall socket, it'll give me the same buzz as COL E.H. Taylor Small Batch?
Old 11-27-2018, 12:53 PM
Phil McKrevice
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TMc993
So, reversing the logic, if I stick a paper clip in a wall socket, it'll give me the same buzz as COL E.H. Taylor Small Batch?
I'd try chewing on your car wires first, and if that's not enough of a buzz try the paper clip method. Make sure you are standing in water while you're at and use a non gfci outlet.
Old 11-27-2018, 04:29 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,349 Likes on 809 Posts

Originally Posted by TMc993

As of this morning, I've trapped two mice inside the car and none outside (But they are disturbing traps outside the car. They're just so small they don't always trip the trap).
Try using a small piece of wire to secure the bait (I used Slim Jim and chicken) to the trap. It'll make them jostle the trigger a little bit more. I had some very delicate rats in my place a year or so ago and they almost always got away with the food without setting off the trap. Once I wired the bait on, slammo! It also helps to place several traps side by side so if the first one triggers and they get away, they scamper right into another trap.

Old 11-30-2018, 02:18 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

FWIW, when I owned both of my Porsches and stored them in my garage for the winter, I would place a number of cups of mothballs all around and under the car. Although the garage smelled like my grandmother's closets, I never had a rodent problem with either car. And there are mice, chipmunks, and voles around (and occasionally in) my home. I'd read that the naphtha in mothballs acts as a repellent - it worked for me.
Old 11-30-2018, 02:45 PM
r553
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

It could just be the foam AC duct gaskets disintegrating on their own, no rodents involved.......My Cayman would emit black chunks of foam once in a while from AC ducts.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:28 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,295 Likes on 1,279 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Newer cars have soy and other plant based plastic coatings on wires which become a food source for mice, unfortunately it means we need to be more diligent with our pest management. I make a point to walk around the garage regularly in search of mice droppings and other hints of rodents.
^^^ this.
Ask me how I know.

Check your wire harness that runs along the front steel beam at the top of your frunk.
They love to chew on the soy-coated wiring.

Set-up some traps with peanut butter.
You should also try using peppermint powder placed in strategic areas of your garage where they might be able to get in.
The powder acts as a repellent.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:48 PM
spyd
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone know what year(s) Porsche began using soy-based wiring harnesses?

Quick Reply: Rodent problem