Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My brakes are squealing, should I be concerned?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 11:48 PM
2014BoxsterSBoy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default please delete

please delete

Last edited by 2014BoxsterSBoy; 12-21-2018 at 04:05 PM.
Old 11-18-2018, 12:13 AM
venom51
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by 2014BoxsterSBoy
basically whenever I brake, during the entire duration of braking, it makes a squealing noise. is this something I should get checked? car has 24k miles on it.
Pop the wheels off and take look at the pads. If there is plenty of pad material then it's just noise and nothing to worry about other than being annoying.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:30 AM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Might be related to the weather if it’s recently gotten cold where you live. I have plenty of pad left but mine are making an ear-pearcingly sharp squeal when I brake. Horribly embarrassing. But it was above 60 yesterday and it barely did it at all. Seems to be a below 60 phenomenon.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:55 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Brake harder. Your rotors are glazed.
Old 11-18-2018, 10:20 AM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Brake harder. Your rotors are glazed.
Can you touch on that a bit more? At least what to do about it?

After a bit of reading it could very well be mine are glazed due to my last track day. The track day and cold weather hit here about the same time.

In terms of pad depth I show plenty of wear left.

Thanks!
Old 11-18-2018, 11:23 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

I swear I recall that Porsche actually made a video where they explain why brake noise is normal for their sports cars. Something to do with lack of compromise for performance may lead to some squealing.

Mine made a ton of noise when I first picked it up last fall; it had actually just had the front brakes done, all OEM parts at a dealer. It seemed to only be noticeable during light braking. It lasted long enough to where I ended up just accepting that it was going to stay that way; 2-3 months or so. Then it went away and hasn't come back since. I would consider attributing it to weather but it stopped before the weather broke and it's been below 40 a couple times here already.

I've also had instances in the past with my M4's stock steel brakes on track. Ended up with crazy noise and pedal vibration after one half-day at the track. The noise subsided some but was still noticeable until I had them replaced under warranty for the vibration. I'm almost 100% sure the stock brakes on even a base 981 are better than the crap on the M4, but a track day can easily stress the brakes to a point where they may feel/sound different for days or weeks afterwards.

TL;DR, sports car brakes can be noisy, especially Porsche. It's best to have it looked at by a trusted mechanic to be certain because at 24k the mileage is almost in range of needing new brakes- but chances are they're functionally fine; you may just have to come to terms with the noise or try again with new pads/rotors.

Also protip just to make sure- I realize you can see pad depth pretty clearly from the outside caliper with the 20" wheels, and probably with the 19s as well... but you'll prob have to pull the wheel to look at the inside pad. I'm sure most folks on here will think I'm stating the obvious but I want to avoid making any assumptions.
Old 11-23-2018, 01:37 AM
bernb6
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

OP,
In my experience, it is not normal for street pads to squeal and certainly not all the time.
Can you give us more info on your brakes and track experiences? Are your pads still the original Porsche pads? They're not really designed for the track and can get overheated pretty easily. If they are new pads and were not bedded properly before tracking, that could easily glaze the pads (not the rotors).
How experienced are you at the track? If you're pushing the car hard enough to activate the PSM a lot, that will wear the rear pads more than the front. The good news is that the rear pads are easier to pop out to check if they're glazed.
Let us know how you're doing.
Bern
Old 11-23-2018, 03:09 AM
Leicht
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 11-23-2018, 06:08 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

LOL. "You might have been told to expect excellence, but we're pretty sure you'll settle for well-produced excuses."

Quick Reply: My brakes are squealing, should I be concerned?