Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how much do ceramic brakes really cost?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 10:32 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
Given their value as parts I'm surprised we don't see guys selling off their CCB's before they trade their cars in. Seems like an easy $5K at least to be had after selling the CCB's and installing iron all the way around. Calipers are the same, right, except for the color?
Calipers are not the same. Full conversion requires rotors, calipers, MC and a few other parts. There are some full caliper and rotor take off sets available in Europe from time to time, but it still requires purchasing a few other parts. Big cost any way you go.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:50 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Just paint your calipers yellow. Done.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:40 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksheepSpyder
Thats why when people ask me why I didnt get them on my spyder, I laugh. Guess why I didnt get sport bucket seats?
Multiple people have asked you why you didn't get ceramic brakes? Seems like a deeply personal question. I don't know which would be more rude; the question or laughing at them for asking it?

Either way, sounds like a cars and coffee that I'd rather avoid.

Originally Posted by Rick-A-Shay
Well, I run stock on my '11 Cayman S (PDK) and do a few track days. Former owner did mostly street and on my first "heavy" applications on the track, I could feel the brakes getting "bedded in" and they grab much better now. Plus, the quick downshifting of the PDK helps too. PCCB will throw you through the windshield and most who track don't want them due to $$$$ replacement. For street, they will last forever............ IMHO.
I haven't driven a Porsche with ceramic brakes, but I've driven quite a few BMWs... and honestly, the pedal feel and engagement is softer/more forgiving. Instrumented tests to my knowledge don't yield a stopping distance advantage for ceramic vs steel. I've heard the same for Porsche but again, can't personally confirm having not driven one. The primary benefit is longevity for extended track days, but to your point the detraction is cost. The $8k option is painful enough when speccing new (that you typically won't get back in resale); but the replacement as others have stated is outrageous if you ever do go through them.

Originally Posted by Archimedes

Calipers are not the same. Full conversion requires rotors, calipers, MC and a few other parts. There are some full caliper and rotor take off sets available in Europe from time to time, but it still requires purchasing a few other parts. Big cost any way you go.
I'd imagine the lines are probably different too? Not that it matters to me- I agree with whoever stated that a retrofit is a horrible financial decision unless you're just dying to waste money.

Originally Posted by LexVan
Just paint your calipers yellow. Done.
You're just full of helpful advice today.
Old 11-19-2018, 02:13 AM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 782 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes

Calipers are not the same.
I didn’t know that. But you can run iron rotors and standard pads on a CCB car?
Old 11-19-2018, 01:04 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC

I didn’t know that. But you can run iron rotors and standard pads on a CCB car?
I believe that you can go either way with the right size rotors and spacers, but they're not the exact same calipers.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:10 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by manifold danger
I haven't driven a Porsche with ceramic brakes, but I've driven quite a few BMWs... and honestly, the pedal feel and engagement is softer/more forgiving. Instrumented tests to my knowledge don't yield a stopping distance advantage for ceramic vs steel. I've heard the same for Porsche but again, can't personally confirm having not driven one. The primary benefit is longevity for extended track days, but to your point the detraction is cost. The $8k option is painful enough when speccing new (that you typically won't get back in resale); but the replacement as others have stated is outrageous if you ever do go through them.

I'd imagine the lines are probably different too? Not that it matters to me- I agree with whoever stated that a retrofit is a horrible financial decision unless you're just dying to waste money.
No, I don't believe the lines require changing. And Porsche PCCBs are not about absolute stopping distance, its about pedal feel and lack of fade. Having owned them, I would never, ever buy another Porsche without them. I had no choice on my Spyder, since i didn't spec it, but if I had, I would have checked the box for sure. I'm still considering converting, but haven't decided yet. The pedal feel at high speed is just exceptional and I find it makes it very easy to be much more precise with my corner entry speeds versus the iron setup. I know track guys don't prefer them for cost reasons, but it's not a coincidence that every lap record Porsche sets is on PCCBs and all the racer/ex racers who test these cars rave about the PCCBs.

Still, I do agree the price for replacement parts is highway robbery.
Old 11-19-2018, 03:08 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

PCCB equipped cars can run iron rotors, but not the standard iron rotors since the CCB rotors are much larger. The PCCB cars usually require much larger, non-OEM, irons.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:46 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 403 Likes on 268 Posts

GiroDisc is the most popular brand of steel "conversion" rotors that people will put on their PCCB cars. Typically $2,400 for all four corners. OEM steel rotors will not fit PCCB cars.

Quick Reply: how much do ceramic brakes really cost?