Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987.1 Pioneer 4400 NEX install...

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 04:44 PM
Sdm3
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 987.1 Pioneer 4400 NEX install...

I have looked many places/sites/threads regarding a DIY installation, either instructions or a video. And information as to placement of mic and GPS module. I just purchased the 4400 NEX and do not have Bose system. Any help would be appreciated...and apologize in advance if I missed a thread regarding this topic. Many thanks.
Old 11-14-2018, 04:57 PM
e30if
Track Day

Kind of depends how much work and how much trim you want to pull out of the interior. When I did mine I put the mic up near the rear view mirror but I had the entire interior trim pulled out to do speakers so it was easy to run, you could still do this and just fish it through the small gaps but it won't be as simple. The GPS antenna I put under the center speaker grill in the middle of the dash which is probably the easiest place to put it, removing that speaker shouldn't make too much difference if you have to pull it, I don't remember if the non Bose system has a center speaker or not.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:08 PM
Sdm3
Track Day

Originally Posted by e30if
Kind of depends how much work and how much trim you want to pull out of the interior. When I did mine I put the mic up near the rear view mirror but I had the entire interior trim pulled out to do speakers so it was easy to run, you could still do this and just fish it through the small gaps but it won't be as simple. The GPS antenna I put under the center speaker grill in the middle of the dash which is probably the easiest place to put it, removing that speaker shouldn't make too much difference if you have to pull it, I don't remember if the non Bose system has a center speaker or not.
Thanks for the input. I got the unit from Crutchfield and goat the connecting harness from them. Not sure either about speaker on dash. Will have to look. How was it pulling the unit and putting the new one in? Thanks.

Thought I should post a couple pics.

Old 11-14-2018, 05:19 PM
e30if
Track Day

Pulling the headunit itself is pretty easy, the first time you take things apart it will take a bit longer but it's maybe 15 minutes to get in there once you know what you're doing. The dash speaker grill you can just pop out from the top without having to remove anything else, I would recommend using some painters tape or some other layer of protection over the plastic trim pieces when you go to pop things out, the soft finish scratches really easily. The entire install took me a while but I was replacing the entire system, it was originally Bose but I switched to a new headunit, an 8 channel amplifier for the speakers, subwoofer amplifier, 3 way component speakers for the doors/ dash, swapped in new rear speakers and built a custom sub box for the trunk. Just the headunit should be fairly straight forward, only minor annoyance is having to grab accessory (switched) power from the fusebox in the driver footwell and running that to the radio since there isn't a switched power source behind the stock radio, at least there wasn't in the Bose system.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:53 PM
Sdm3
Track Day

Thanks for your help.

Quick Reply: 987.1 Pioneer 4400 NEX install...