Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster S 987.2 AOS DIY - intake manifold off?

Old 11-14-2018, 02:08 PM
johndeere
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boxster S 987.2 AOS DIY - intake manifold off?

Newbie here - both to Porsche and this website. Thanks for the fantastic resources cataloged on this website. Great advice about some projects I've already completed.

I've got a 2009 Boxster S with 60k miles. Smokes on startup and oil dripping around throttle body. So I'm going to change my AOS. I got the part, read the forums, watched some videos, etc. Then I went to do it and realized that the 987.2 with the 3.4L engine is different than the 987.1 on this issue. I have searched this forum and others and haven't found any useful advice. The detailed DIY guides and videos out there are 986 or 987.1 and have the AOS in a totally different place with easier access. There are a few other threads on this site where people realize this issue, and then take it to a shop. It appears MUCH more complicated that the 987.1 replacement.

My AOS is located behind the driver seat on the front of the engine. I can barely see the top of the AOS from the top engine access, and can only see the front E-torx screw from the front engine access behind the driver seat. The top of the AOS is very close to the metal bracket that separates the top and front engine access bays (just below the roll cage). I'm not even sure I could lift it up enough to get it detached. My initial impression is that I may also need to remove the left intake manifold to get the AOS off. I read some forums from the 997.2 (same engine I believe?) that mention taking off the intake manifold and "slightly dropping" the engine to do their AOS replacement.

So any experience out there? Specific to the 987.2 with the 3.4L engine. I may be comfortable taking off a manifold (although I've never done it), but "dropping the engine" seems crazy to me.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-15-2018, 12:56 AM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

My experience is limited to watching a tech replace the AOS on my '11 Boxster S 987.2 a few weeks ago.

The engine was NOT dropped. The left manifold WAS removed, revealing the AOS. The process took only about 1/2 hour, and was done entirely with hand tools.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Boxster S 987.2 AOS DIY - intake manifold off?