Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to turn when dealer can't fix issue?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 03:41 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by Zach L
I would not take it to an indy. Have the dealership keep it until they figure it out. My fear would be taking it to an indy shop would give them the opportunity to say the indy shop screwed things up. I personally wouldn't let it leave their possession until they fixed it.
I would take it back to the dealer that did the initial programming change and tell them they are responsible for repairing what they broke, and to let you know when the car is ready for pickup.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:38 PM
braunkx
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I really appreciate it during this nightmare. Unfortunately my car is still at the dealer over a month later and a tech from PCNA came and checked it out last week. He advised to replace the entire locking/alarm system to the tune of $6000. Truthfully I'm absolutely devastated by this. The current dealer believes that the original dealer corrupted the system when making the change. Does anyone have any advice on how to get the original dealer to pay for this? I've been in contact with PCNA Customer Commitment and will reach out to them again to relay this information.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:24 PM
sghokie
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Eventually, it might be time to lawyer up.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:58 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by sghokie
Eventually, it might be time to lawyer up.
+1...You're being to nice. The, "Oops! One of our dealerships screwed up your car, so give us $6000 and we'll fix it" isn't even close to reasonable. If they broke it, then they should fix it. in addition to getting an attorney, consider initiating a complaint process with consumer protection agencies in your area/state.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:05 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Ouch, this really sucks. I'm with the camp that suggests clearing all of the computers and reloading the software from scratch. I know too that BMWs get very confused when the battery gets older and has trouble maintaining a full charge. That may be worth a try here - certainly a new battery is a heck of a lot cheaper than their other suggestions.

As for lawyers and suing the original dealer - I'll suggest that a) it's an older car and 2) sometimes stuff happens. Seems like the only people that will benefit from that approach will be the lawyers.

best of luck.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:18 PM
michaelo
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts

I would have left the car with the original dealer until he fixed it, and if he couldn't fix it, then I would have let him escalate the issue with Porsche Inc. Who told you to take it out of there and bring it to another dealer? That was a bad idea. Now you gave the original dealer the ability to point a finger at the second dealer and play the blame game.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:53 PM
B.shoot
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

replacing the "entire " alarm system wont fix it. The problem is in the new software of the Piwis 3. I've noticed over the years that coding is slowly being left out when Porsche upgrades their system tester. The best bet would be to find someone with an original Piwis ans have them re-code the rear module
Old 12-15-2018, 06:50 PM
Sapientoni
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default access gas door

You do know there's a gas cap release pull in the hinge area of the passenger door?
Old 12-15-2018, 07:28 PM
braunkx
Instructor

Originally Posted by B.shoot
replacing the "entire " alarm system wont fix it. The problem is in the new software of the Piwis 3. I've noticed over the years that coding is slowly being left out when Porsche upgrades their system tester. The best bet would be to find someone with an original Piwis ans have them re-code the rear module
You were correct. They had to use an older system to recode the modules.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:31 PM
braunkx
Instructor

However, now whenever I start the car I get both check left and right direction indicators but the front and rear turn signals are functioning normally. The signals on the dash flash rapidly. Probably has to do with them reprogramming.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:33 PM
braunkx
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sapientoni
You do know there's a gas cap release pull in the hinge area of the passenger door?
Yes that wasn’t working either.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:52 AM
sghokie
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So you got it fixed except 1 issue?
Old 12-18-2018, 11:42 AM
braunkx
Instructor

Yep it all works now. Moral of the story is to make sure they're using the proper PIWIS when coding your "old" car.

Quick Reply: Where to turn when dealer can't fix issue?