Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Size Question - Boxster 981 (base)

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 03:20 PM
sghokie
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I hear you on that.
I decided to pull the trigger on them. I should get the backs today. I already got the fronts on, so far I am happy with the fronts.
One thing I like is no more crabbing when turning when cold.
I don't have enough mileage on them yet to tell overall how they will be long term.
But so far I feel like I stole a set of tires.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:49 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 403 Likes on 268 Posts

My experience indicates the ratio concerns are a myth... even though it is commonly alluded to on the forums, I've seen no actual instance of different ratios causing a response from the car's PSM or other computer-aided systems on 987 or 981 vehicles. Would like to hear one example where this has caused an issue.

To the contrary, I've seen plenty of instances where the ratio has been changed significantly without any negative response from vehicle systems. This includes numerous autocross and tracked vehicles running non-stock ratios. This thread itself is another example of everyone referring to the equal ratio requirements, yet not a single person has had any issue.

Common practice in autocross is to run a stock diameter front tire while simultaneously running a significantly reduced rear tire diameter to help second gear acceleration. Never heard of anyone having an issue when doing this, including Ryan Clark winning the BStreet national championship last year running a 30-series rear tire on an 18" wheel.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:57 PM
sghokie
Advanced

Here they are, Atlas Force UHP in 265 40 19 and 235 40 19.

Old 11-16-2018, 02:01 PM
sirmoog
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The General tires have been mounted! No problems thus far from going down 10mm in width, both front and back. I did a mix of highway and town driving, and they feel pretty nice.
As luck would have it, we had a snowstorm yesterday, so there are still areas with some snow and wet. No issues with these so far, very happy.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:46 AM
sghokie
Advanced

So far I only have about 50 miles on the Atlas tires having the fronts and backs on. I will say my initial observation is that the sidewalls are much more stiffer than the previous Good Year summer tires.
Traction seems good so far, but it's too early to tell.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:04 PM
Cheapo911
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm actually looking to do something similar with my 05 Boxster and have been concerned about the different ratio when switching tires.

I want to throw DWS06s on my vehicle, and they dont have an exact match for the front. The factory tire size is 205/55zr17s on the front, and 235/50zr17 on the rear. However for the fronts the DWS only comes in 205/50/17. Think thats enough of a difference to be an issue? The available sizes are below

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...Contact+DWS+06

`
Old 12-02-2018, 07:43 PM
sghokie
Advanced

I have some more miles on the Atlas tires now.
Traction is definitely good, I haven't bad assed around, but traction seems good for an all season tire.
I had the fronts put on and then received the backs about a week later. I am not exactly sure why, but the backs didn't seem balanced correctly. I took the back wheels to a place with a road force balance machine and they corrected the balance issue. I can't say shop A balanced the tires correctly or not, but shop B with the road force balancer corrected the balancing.
The side walls of the Atlas tires are very stiff. You can feel every bump in the road.
For the price, I am happy with them.

Quick Reply: Tire Size Question - Boxster 981 (base)