Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead battery help up **** creek

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 01:02 PM
retroz
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thx Venom a wee bit further away from ya...... in rainy Ireland......lol
Old 11-16-2018, 01:04 PM
venom51
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 135 Posts

Well that would be a difficult drive now wouldn't it.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:12 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 977 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by retroz
Indeed man i'm going a step further actually 3 steps lol

I'm going to hard wire two new battery cables to the battery and rout them under the front bumper
I sealed my RECM under the seat in a freezer bag and sealed the loom with tape
Also clean out the roof drains,and fit a wire mesh filter over them
Hi Retroz,

I think I have a wiring kit for you... and anyone else who knows of this issue, and wants an easy type of solution.

I'm the owner of a company Called Antigravity Batteries... we do Lithium Starter Batteries... anyway the first day I got my GT3 RS I put one of our Lithium Batteries in it.... but our battery can be turned "ON" or "OFF". So I installed the battery and in my excitement forgot to turn it ON, and shut the frunk. So I had no power to the Car and couldn't get into the frunk to turn on the battery...so I freaked out being this was my first Porsche and didn't know what to do. But anyway I ended up reading Renn and energizing the Red Buss in the fuse panel and grounded on the seat bolt and got in. So lesson learned.

Anyway, I thought that having to do this was so lame that I made a harness kit for my Car that makes it so you can hardwire our wire-harness to the battery, then route it over to the passenger side corner of the hood. But what the harness kit does is have 10awg silicone wire (ultra flexible) and a EC5 connector Tip on the end of it that mates with our MICRO-START line of Mini Jump Staters (and most other brands)..... and it allow you to just plug-in your Mini Jump-Starter and power your cars system since it connects directly to the Cars battery, which then energizes the entire cars system since you are connecting it onto the battery itself. So you just plug one of our MICRO-STARTs, or other brand of mini Jump Starter into this Harness you have have power to the whole car, or can just jump start the car, and never open the hood... But I found this to be much simpler and you don't have to be crawling in the footwell and making that connection.

We already made this kit for motorcycles so that the rider could attach this Harness to his battery and not have to remove the seat or fairing when he needs to jump start the bike. It also makes it so the Motorcyclist does not have to carry the clamps for the Mini Jump Starters either which saves space. We do alot of those Adventure bikes that travel around the world so its great for them. So this is the same thing but we are making it LONGER so a person with Porsche or other Car can route this out the hood and get power to the Car to Jump Start or Energize it. It should be out in about a 3-4 weeks.

Here is the Motorcycle Version of it.... itt 14" long and would work if you didn't mind bringing it straight from the battery to the middle hood area, but the longer one reaches the corners of the car... https://shop.antigravitybatteries.co...sport-xp1-xp3/
Old 11-17-2018, 12:18 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

HEre is a picture of the Harness kit for Motorcycles... the new one for Cars is about 28" long, and has a plastic cover over the back-charge protection.
Old 11-17-2018, 02:07 PM
retroz
Track Day

Wow looks awesome just what i needed last week...hindsight being a wonderful thing lol which one is the longer one ? also do you ship to Europe ?
Old 11-17-2018, 08:23 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by retroz
Wow looks awesome just what i needed last week...hindsight being a wonderful thing lol which one is the longer one ? also do you ship to Europe ?
Yes we ship to Europe.

Tomorrow I'll try to post up a picture of my prototype that I made, and also a picture of the current ones we sell for bike that are shorter but could work for some people if they don't mind the connection point being more in the middle of the car rather than the longer ones that bring the connection more over to the passenger hood/windshield junction... Pictures will describe much better what I'm talking about.

Old 11-17-2018, 10:49 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Antigravity
Hi Retroz,

I think I have a wiring kit for you... and anyone else who knows of this issue, and wants an easy type of solution.

I'm the owner of a company Called Antigravity Batteries... we do Lithium Starter Batteries... anyway the first day I got my GT3 RS I put one of our Lithium Batteries in it.... but our battery can be turned "ON" or "OFF". So I installed the battery and in my excitement forgot to turn it ON, and shut the frunk. So I had no power to the Car and couldn't get into the frunk to turn on the battery...so I freaked out being this was my first Porsche and didn't know what to do. But anyway I ended up reading Renn and energizing the Red Buss in the fuse panel and grounded on the seat bolt and got in. So lesson learned.

Anyway, I thought that having to do this was so lame that I made a harness kit for my Car that makes it so you can hardwire our wire-harness to the battery, then route it over to the passenger side corner of the hood. But what the harness kit does is have 10awg silicone wire (ultra flexible) and a EC5 connector Tip on the end of it that mates with our MICRO-START line of Mini Jump Staters (and most other brands)..... and it allow you to just plug-in your Mini Jump-Starter and power your cars system since it connects directly to the Cars battery, which then energizes the entire cars system since you are connecting it onto the battery itself. So you just plug one of our MICRO-STARTs, or other brand of mini Jump Starter into this Harness you have have power to the whole car, or can just jump start the car, and never open the hood... But I found this to be much simpler and you don't have to be crawling in the footwell and making that connection.

We already made this kit for motorcycles so that the rider could attach this Harness to his battery and not have to remove the seat or fairing when he needs to jump start the bike. It also makes it so the Motorcyclist does not have to carry the clamps for the Mini Jump Starters either which saves space. We do alot of those Adventure bikes that travel around the world so its great for them. So this is the same thing but we are making it LONGER so a person with Porsche or other Car can route this out the hood and get power to the Car to Jump Start or Energize it. It should be out in about a 3-4 weeks.

Here is the Motorcycle Version of it.... itt 14" long and would work if you didn't mind bringing it straight from the battery to the middle hood area, but the longer one reaches the corners of the car... https://shop.antigravitybatteries.co...sport-xp1-xp3/
What a great solution every Boxster - Cayman should have one of these.

When the longer harness is available please reach out to me and I’ll take one along with a MicroStart that you recommend.

thanks.

Old 11-19-2018, 01:39 AM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

HI all,

For any interested this is the prototype of the wiring Harness that what we are making....

1- Basically we are developing this Wire Harness that attaches directly to your battery by connecting to the Battery Cables on your Car, and then allow you to energize your Car with one of the our Antigravity Batteries MICRO-STARTs or other Mini Jump Starter products...

2- The connection to the Car Battery is super simple. Weuse a the fork-type of Terminal, and you simply loosen your existing batteyr clamp nut a few turns, slide the fork-type terminal under the nut and re-tighten.

3- In the first picture you see the entire harness un-routed, its about 28" inches long... this allow you to route to either side of the car, but the the GT3 I routed to passenger size since Driver side has windsheild wiper arms that would seem to get in the way. Passenger side it clear of obstructions.

3- IN the second picture you see the wires routed behind the air filter, and then it goes under and behind a plastic cover just under the front fender, and it continues under the front fender about 6" to where the fender meets with the Hood and the Windshield and it stays tucked under there, and when needed you can reach your finger in there and pull it out as I have done in the last picture. It will have a cover for it also... but this is for my car and the prototype so the cover is not on the tip.

4- So then you plug in your MICRO-START or other Mini Jump Starter and the Car is energized correctly because it is actually supplying the voltage directly to the Battery Terminals. This then means all the car is energized, and will allow you to use the Frunk switch easily. It will also enable you to jump start your car if you choose to also since you are just plugging directly into a MICRO-START... so you don't need the clamps of the MICRO-START.

So it actually very cool and makes life a bit easier for the times when the battery is goes dead. And our MICRO-START SPORT is about the size of two iPhones stacked so you could leave one in your center console or glove box and not ever sweat a dead-battery emergency. (Note: If you have on of our RS-30 Lihtium Batteries you will not jump-start the car because you just press the button on the RS-30 to awaken it and RE-START your car since it has the built-in Jump Starting.)

Last edited by Antigravity; 11-19-2018 at 02:49 AM.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:11 AM
algiorda
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

What a great solution.

Why not route the EC5 Connector through the firewall into the passenger compartment under the Glovebox behind the carpeting. Then you will be able to stay dry and safe while connecting to the Jumpstart Battery. It can neatly tuck behind the carpet when not in use. There is a rubber Grommet there just below and to the left of the battery on my 981. I've used it to run my GPS cable for my Aftermarket radio.
Old 11-19-2018, 03:10 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by algiorda
What a great solution.
Why not route the EC5 Connector through the firewall into the passenger compartment under the Glovebox behind the carpeting. Then you will be able to stay dry and safe while connecting to the Jumpstart Battery. It can neatly tuck behind the carpet when not in use. There is a rubber Grommet there just below and to the left of the battery on my 981. I've used it to run my GPS cable for my Aftermarket radio.
That's a great idea! But I am a scardy-cat with the RS... I don't want to mess with any mod that requires me to go through the fire wall for fear of hacking something. I've built Custom Bikes, built a Buick V-6 and put it in a 914... but this car is something I don't really want to touch. I haven't really looked hard to find a place of entry into the cab, but I'm also in California, and won't be driving it in the rain. But your idea is good. I'll take a quick look and see if there is something easy and clean in the RS without requiring hacking something.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:35 PM
e30if
Track Day

In the 987's there is a big rubber cover directly behind the battery that goes into the cabin above the gas pedal, makes getting things through the firewall really painless, can't say about an RS but maybe they stuck with a similar design or there is a grommet located near the battery as well.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:00 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Antigravity
HI all,

For any interested this is the prototype of the wiring Harness that what we are making....

1- Basically we are developing this Wire Harness that attaches directly to your battery by connecting to the Battery Cables on your Car, and then allow you to energize your Car with one of the our Antigravity Batteries MICRO-STARTs or other Mini Jump Starter products...

2- The connection to the Car Battery is super simple. Weuse a the fork-type of Terminal, and you simply loosen your existing batteyr clamp nut a few turns, slide the fork-type terminal under the nut and re-tighten.

3- In the first picture you see the entire harness un-routed, its about 28" inches long... this allow you to route to either side of the car, but the the GT3 I routed to passenger size since Driver side has windsheild wiper arms that would seem to get in the way. Passenger side it clear of obstructions.

3- IN the second picture you see the wires routed behind the air filter, and then it goes under and behind a plastic cover just under the front fender, and it continues under the front fender about 6" to where the fender meets with the Hood and the Windshield and it stays tucked under there, and when needed you can reach your finger in there and pull it out as I have done in the last picture. It will have a cover for it also... but this is for my car and the prototype so the cover is not on the tip.

4- So then you plug in your MICRO-START or other Mini Jump Starter and the Car is energized correctly because it is actually supplying the voltage directly to the Battery Terminals. This then means all the car is energized, and will allow you to use the Frunk switch easily. It will also enable you to jump start your car if you choose to also since you are just plugging directly into a MICRO-START... so you don't need the clamps of the MICRO-START.

So it actually very cool and makes life a bit easier for the times when the battery is goes dead. And our MICRO-START SPORT is about the size of two iPhones stacked so you could leave one in your center console or glove box and not ever sweat a dead-battery emergency. (Note: If you have on of our RS-30 Lihtium Batteries you will not jump-start the car because you just press the button on the RS-30 to awaken it and RE-START your car since it has the built-in Jump Starting.)
I’m definitely going to order the extended wiring kit when you have it available but i have a few questions:

Would it be possible to hook the negative wire to the Porsche approved “ grounding point “ as the owners manual specifically says not to jump a Cayman from the negative battery terminal. If you think this isn’t necessary can you please tell me why as I’m not that technically inclined and I’d be afraid to fry my electronics.

Also, is the blue connector your using ( the end that plugs into the MicroStart “ weather proof or do you provide a cover for it so it wouldn’t corrode ? Again, if this isn’t necessary just let me know.

Heres a pic for reference regarding the Cayman “ Ground Point “.

thanks.

Old 11-19-2018, 07:08 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Sorry the pics didn’t come out on my previous post.

Old 11-20-2018, 03:50 AM
GregWormald
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

That seems to be a pretty standard recommendation in most cars, but honestly I can't see much difference as the battery ground most likely goes straight to the chassis. I suspect it could be to prevent sparks from igniting battery fumes on connection/disconnection.

Anybody know for sure what the reason is?
Old 11-20-2018, 07:50 AM
Voyager6
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

On 981s there is an electronics module attached between the battery ground post and the chassis and it contains low voltage loss current measurement electronics. My guess is that the external ground point is two fold: one to prevent a spark that MIGHT set off battery gasses; second to protect the current measurement electronics.

Last year I purchased a flooded 981 Boxster and it arrived with a dead battery. I had same issue getting trunks open. In my case, for the rear trunk, I was able to put 12V on the actuator wire out of the RBCM. For the front trunk, the red fuse box jumper worked only with the key/remote as the FBCM was OK but the RBCM was toast (the car had water up into the bottom of the power seats). The car arrived with the carpet dry but I pulled out three gallons of water via a dehumidifier, taking over three weeks. The cavities under the carpet can hold a lot of water. I did not get the mildew smell under control until the dehumiidifier removed the remaining water.

In my case, the prior owner pulled the door sill switches while the RBCM was under water and high current flowed on these (switch) signal lines and melted the wiring. The previous owner must of seen smoke and pulled up the door trim and cut off the four wires to the switch. This necessitated me getting a new trunk switch assembly and used wiring harness and pulling the switch connector and four wires and grafting them into the car's wiring harness. Six modules total were fried and the passenger seat.replaced. If you ever need to know how to non-destructively get a power seat out when it won't move, ask me. It took two weeks to figure it out (in cold, snowy January). Car has been back on the road since June with no problems.

V6

Quick Reply: Dead battery help up **** creek