Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Retro Shoes for the Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 12:46 PM
SCMike
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by dennisafrompa
Did the same with my Cayman.
Dennis - looks good! Something about the 987 bodywork (both Cayman and Boxster) that makes the Fuchs-style wheels really fit the car. Last of the "classic" Porsche styling? I don't think that the 981 looks "as right" with these wheels - that next generation looks too modern for the Fuchs style. I have the same opinion about the 997/991. But as andy7777 implies, one probably has to be a geezer (which I am deep into) to make such stylistic distinctions...
Old 11-12-2018, 02:01 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Some wheels look like they try too hard. These don't look like that at all. Very well done!

Last edited by brad@tirerack.com; 11-12-2018 at 02:17 PM.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:16 PM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by SCMike
But as andy7777 implies, one probably has to be a geezer (which I am deep into) to make such stylistic distinctions...
Haha guilty as charged too...

I'm still kicking myself, had a set of '74 911 Fuchs in the basement after I sold that car in 1996. In 2005 my wife "asked" when I would sell those old wheels taking up space, so I got rid of them on eBay for a decent sum. Now of course that decent sum would be tripled....

I still have the original steering wheel from that car though!

(to clarify, I didn't get the 911 new, I'm not THAT old)
Old 11-12-2018, 08:37 PM
dennisafrompa
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Well I am 76 years old so I fit the over 40 for sure.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:53 AM
SCMike
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 82 Posts

Just a quick update should anyone else pass by this way. Winter is gone. The Continental DWS06 tires did great service for the cold days, when the Spyder would previously have stayed parked on its summer tires. I liked the -1 sizing for this winter tire set: the extra rubber height made for a more pleasant ride on the rougher stretches of my therapy roads, without any degradation in the handling that I could tell (but then, I am no rocket man). I liked the Continentals enough that I think I will just keep them on all year around. The Potenzas that I got with the car are anyway starting to age out, even if they are hardly half-worn. And I really like the look of the FauxFuchs - photos don't do them full justice. I guess that I will just keep the unique, original Spyder wheels in pristine, unmarked condition, safely stored for the next owner of the car.
Old 04-03-2019, 04:48 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 151 Posts

IDK, having grown up in Charlotte you really don't need another tire often around there especially because the sand aggregate in the asphalt is like driving on sandpaper. When you do have mega cold weather, an actual winter tire works much better. Having also lived in Germany, I got used to changing wheels/tire twice a year. Having a dedicated winter tire gives the most grip, whether it's cold and dry, or cold and wet or frozen. If I'm going to change a tire out seasonally, even in the south where as the OP says, it does get decently cold time to time, it's going to be to a true winter tire. In Germany there's no such thing as an all-season tire. For a reason.

FWIW, I also had RE-11s on my Spyder (now sold). I just didn't drive it much in the winter except on nice warm winter days, and we get some nice days throughout the winter in San Antonio. Texas and SC aren't like the Northeast of Midwest. Cold fronts come and go. There is no season where the car will sit for 3 months, unable to be used, regardless of the rubber. The Spyder isn't the car of choice for wet weather anyway since the roof can't be totally sealed. That car is best for nice days.
Old 04-03-2019, 05:25 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

While I prefer the larger stock wheels on that car, you can never go wrong with Fuch style wheels. As winter wheels go, they look terrific, albeit a little small relative to the shape of the car. I'd run the stockers during the summer though. But wheels are personal.

Quick Reply: Retro Shoes for the Spyder