Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster vs Cayman - safety / driving experience

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 02:13 PM
jnl82
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boxster vs Cayman - safety / driving experience

I am trying to decide between 981 boxster / Cayman. Mainly it has to do with the convertible top and the rigidity/safety of the cars.
Essentially I will be using this as a daily driver which entails driving on highways at least few hours a week and the usual local driving, etc.

1. Is boxster relatively safe to drive on highways in general? i.e. collision / roll over...
2. In terms of driving experience, do you guys drive the boxster with the top down on highways or just on local roads?
3. How well does the boxster top hold up when it rains heavily or when it snows ?

Any additional comments / advice would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:37 PM
chapmans
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 116 Posts

I drive my 987.2 Boxster top down always, works great. The top is also very insulated and the experience with the top up isn't far off from a fixed roof car. The roof deals with rain easily. Can't say anything about snow as I don't drive it when snowy.

It clearly will be worse in rollover accidents which is just the nature of convertibles. It just comes down to how much do you really enjoy the top down life.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:17 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

The boxster's rollover protection is more than adequate for most incidents. I'd be happy and safe in one year round, but chose a Cayman for the rigidity for track days and because I like the look and visibility. Can't go wrong either way.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:41 PM
LarryB
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jnl82
I am trying to decide between 981 boxster / Cayman. Mainly it has to do with the convertible top and the rigidity/safety of the cars.
Essentially I will be using this as a daily driver which entails driving on highways at least few hours a week and the usual local driving, etc.

1. Is boxster relatively safe to drive on highways in general? i.e. collision / roll over...
2. In terms of driving experience, do you guys drive the boxster with the top down on highways or just on local roads?
3. How well does the boxster top hold up when it rains heavily or when it snows ?

Thanks.
My Boxster is plenty of safe on the highway. I do tend to drive with the top up on highways, and the top down everywhere else. I have the clear wind screen, but it still gets loud and there is buffeting. If you are using it as a daily driver and not on the track, the Boxster is supposed be quieter than the Cayman when the top is up. I understand there is some resonance between the engine and the hatch in the Cayman, but I’m not sure since I’ve never driven a Cayman. .
Old 11-07-2018, 03:44 PM
Boxsterman
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I drive my 09 Boxster all year in all conditions. It has more than adequate safety features built in. The top can handle even heavy winter conditions, including heavy snow.
Old 11-07-2018, 05:46 PM
algiorda
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I live in Fla, and drive Top Down everyday on the highway. The car is rigid, the rollover bars are strong and will withstand a rollover.

The only downside is a Pigeon almost flew into my vehicle with the top down passing an overpass, other than that, its just a perfect ragtop!!!
Old 11-07-2018, 06:56 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

It's as safe as any modern car.

I drive with the top down unless it's too hot here. Top up on the highway due to noise. I never use the stupid thing between the roll hoops. It's somewhere in the garage. Don't like how it reduces the already limited visibility. I also always have the windows down if the top is down. Many old gomers here have their windows up and a hat on with the top down. What's the point?!?! Hope I never get that old!

On the few times it rains here, the top is fine. So good, it's almost as quiet as a Cayman. During some horrid storms here, it was fine in up to six inches of water or so. Have no idea what this 'snow' is? OK, I grew up in upstate NY and spent time in WI and MN, so I know. That's why I now live in the desert!! Only snow here is the snowbirds. Marginally better than the real stuff.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:10 PM
Opus1
Intermediate

Not trying to be a Debby Downer but,
The deal with the hat is to reduce the chance of Melanoma
Old 11-07-2018, 07:30 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Buy a Volvo. They are safe. I know it is true because they say it in their ads.
Or, drive them both and make the subjective decision. Both are death traps compared to an 18 wheeler. Just sayin.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:47 AM
rdboxster
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 168 Posts

Been driving a Boxster for 10 years, 07 S and now a 15 GTS. They are fantastic cars to drive. The bodies are very tight. I sold the 07 with 40k miles and it was still very tight. The 15 is more rigid than the 07. As far as safe: Porsche designs the car to handle a roll over between the A pilers and roll bars. It is a convertible so there is only so much protection. I like to believe that Porsche has given us many tools to hopefully avoid accidents which is a safety factor that's not discussed much.

With the top up the car is actually pretty quiet for a convertible. More sound from the engine than other traffic. Country 2 lane roads are the greatest with the top down. City freeways can get a bit noisy with all the trucks and loud pickups. I do have to put up the side windows at times to cut I the noise for short durations.

Caymans are great cars also. Very fun to drive. But for me this is a summer car so it has to be a convertible.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:20 AM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 161 Posts

Many good comments above. I think it comes down to are you a top up or a top down kinda person. It's really more of a lifestyle thing. Example: Wife and I are in the car last night, its 40 degrees F and windy. I say "think I'll drop the top". Her reply, without a blink? "Sure". We are defiantly top-down folks
Old 11-08-2018, 10:18 AM
DrBillyD
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by jnl82

Thanks.
2015 Boxster GTS. Taking your questions in order:
  1. Have never had a rollover in it, so can't address your question directly. Roll bars behind seats and "A" pillars seem pretty stout but don't think any convertible will be as safe as a hard top in a rollover. What I can say in terms of safety is that rear quarter visibility with the top up stinks (even with top down rear viz isn't great). Also, not having a backup camera can be mildly anxiety provoking at times. Neither of these issues is a deal-breaker for me, but something you might want to be aware of. Cayman has (marginally) better rear quarter visibility, IMO.
  2. If it's a short drive on a freeway, I'll leave the top down. Anything longer than about 30 min above 60 mph and the wind gets irritating to me. Agree with another poster that the insert between the roll hoops behind the seats is ineffective in terms of wind noise/buffeting, so I've removed mine as well. If it's just me, the windows are down when the top's down; if GF is along for the ride, the windows usually are up (one of life's compromises). I was surprised when I drove a Cayman that the engine sound inside the car was louder than the Boxster with the top up. Suppose I shouldn't have been, but there it is.
  3. I've taken the Boxster through a car wash (I know, I know.... I'm an infidel.... but only car washes with jets; no brushes), and the driver's side junction between window and top will let in a drop or two when the jets are right on the area. Other than that, I've done a 3+ hour drive in light rain and stayed completely dry. In a related vein, I did notice that the interior engine sound and road noise was louder in a Spyder than a Boxster. Engine sound not too surprising I suppose as it's got a bigger engine. Think the road noise is b/c the Spyder top doesn't have as many layers/plies as the Boxster (weight reduction; same reason they put those silly nylon interior door pulls in it, and why the top is manual instead of motorized.). I have never driven my Boxster in the snow (nor below 45 degrees ambient) because I've got summer tires on it so can't comment on handling in those conditions.
For my purposes (nice weekend car for the twisties around where I live; I'm not a track guy), the Boxster is plenty rigid for me. Mine has PASM and when it's in Sport/Sport+ mode it's flat pulling > 1g in a turn and you feel *every* bump in the road; in "Normal" mode it's fine for an highway drive but personally I wouldn't want to take it for a multi-day, extended road trip. Track guys tend to go for the X73 suspension option. Look around the forums and you'll find as many opinions about suspension options as there are posters.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:27 AM
jnl82
4th Gear

Thx everyone !
So many options to consider in this journey !
Old 11-08-2018, 11:41 AM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

All things being equal, does anybody know the weight difference between a Boxter and a Cayman ?
Old 11-08-2018, 12:12 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

I have a 981 Boxster GTS. It was my fair weather daily until I picked up a 991.2 last month. Now the BGTS is my weekend car. We'll also take the BGTS on road trips though. The frunk and trunk are fantastic for long trips. We did a 4,000 mile road trip earlier this year. That trip included 15hr straight drives there and back. With new Michelin Pilot Sport 4S N0 tires at comfort pressure we couldn't have been more comfortable. And that is with the X73 suspension. It's also the trip that made us fall so much in love with Porsche that we got rid of my BMW sedan and replaced it with the 911.

We get horrid thunderstorms here. No issues whatsoever with the top. Make sure you treat it. We get more ice than snow here, but we're talking *maybe* once per year. The Boxster doesn't leave the garage if the temp is below 40 (no winter or all-season tires).

Generally speaking, if we are on the interstate for a decent amount of time we have the top up. Or the top down with the windows up. Not so much a noise or comfort issue as one of being worried about debris coming into the cabin from truck tires.

When I bought my first Porsche a heavily-equipped manual 981 Boxster GTS was the easy choice. If you can only have one it's the right choice. When you get your second you can choose between the Cayman and 911.

Quick Reply: Boxster vs Cayman - safety / driving experience