Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster vs Cayman - safety / driving experience

Old 11-08-2018, 12:24 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I had read somewhere that the stiffness of the Boxster along with the roll-over protection actually provided as rigid a top or more than the standard roof of the Cayman with no rollover protection? Obvious lack of layer of metal between you and the street...
Old 11-08-2018, 12:52 PM
shus2006croc
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Sorry.... I'm an engineer.

Rollovers are more likely with a high center of gravity.

We are concerned with rollovers with a mid-engined sports car?

I'd worry more about front end crush zone.

Buy the car you like Cayman or Boxster and sleep at night.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:14 PM
ekam
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by shus2006croc

You obviously haven't seen a lot of movies...

I wouldn't worry about the front end crush zone. If you shoot at a car, it's going to EXPLODE in flames.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:51 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by shus2006croc

Buy the car you like Cayman or Boxster and sleep at night.

Not true. Rollover has to do with physics and the angle of attack to topple the car. All it takes is clipping a curb or encounter a bump at high speed during a turn and things get ugly real fast. Lower COG helps, to a degree. Even F1 cars roll over in mishaps.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:06 PM
shus2006croc
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

All things being equal:

Driving skill ect. Hitting, obliquely of course, a curb at 90 Mph excepted.

"More likely".
Old 11-08-2018, 02:22 PM
yachtfund
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

My father has had two boxsters, a 981 S and currently a 718 S and have both been year round daily drivers. Despite my protests, both sit outside in all year in Boston. We get a lot of snow there, the cloth roof has never been a problem. In the cold it creaks a bit but I don't really consider it a problem. The cars are also surprisingly well behaved in the snow with a decent set of tires. I've never really worried about rolling them over when I'm driving them but I would probably prefer to be in a cayman if I find myself in an upside down car...
Old 11-08-2018, 03:50 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 605 Likes on 414 Posts

I owned a GT4 at the same time I owned the BS I still own, both with Porsche Sport Exhaust. There is more engine mechanical noise inside the Cayman due to the aft part of the car interior enclosing all the area over the "trunk" and the engine cover, and projecting that sound forward. Not to say that's a bad thing, and not to say it's a LOT louder, there is just more mechanical noise in the Cayman. Of course a Cayman has more torsional rigidity than the Boxster because, Duh. But that's not to say the Boxster is not rigid, it is very firm in torsional flex. But the Cayman is more so. Over the shoulder visibility on either side in the Boxster is not good with top up because, Duh. But the Cayman can't transform itself into a different driving experience like the Boxster can by taking its top off. Now who doesn't appreciate it when the top comes off of anything you love to play with? I know I do .

With top down, windows up, and OEM wind deflectors installed in the roll hoops and between them, it is a very comfortable cruise at any highway speed as far as buffeting and noise, IMO. And the sound from the exhaust tips is only about 6 feet right behind you when you wind it up with your foot on the gas.
Old 11-08-2018, 04:52 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by okie981
And the sound from the exhaust tips is only about 6 feet right behind you when you wind it up with your foot on the gas.
Precisely why my username is CaymanS but I have a Boxster GTS. I rolled down the windows of the Cayman during my test drive. The first time I heard that 3.4 flat six howling past 4,000 at full tilt I knew the Cayman was out and the Boxster was in.
Old 11-08-2018, 05:14 PM
ramans
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

I currently own a 981 Cayman S and a 981 Boxster S, the Boxster is my daily as I love the convertible when it's sunny and can run top down, but I also drive it most of the winter as it'st he one with the DWS 06 tyres on it currently. The Cayman is used more for track duty as it's aligned for that, has the modified suspension, seats, and half cage. I don't feel any less safe on the street in the boxster than I do in the Cayman, and in fact I feel that with the top up the Boxster is actually quieter since in the Cayman the engine and the rear suspension are actually in the passenger compartment with you, and you hear a lot more road noise in the car.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:18 PM
LarryB
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just got a 718 Cayman as a loaner, with Sport Exhaust and Pirellis. Compared to my 981 Boxster with a modified base exhaust and Continentals, the Cayman is much louder. I really hear the tires and the engine. Not an apples to apples comparison though.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:55 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 96 Likes on 69 Posts

25 posts and something like 23 opinions. The solution is drive both and get the one you want. When I bought my M Roadster I didn't want the Boxster. I wanted a lower beltline. With the Cayman being a closed car I don't mind the higher beltline. But, that's opinion. With the lower beltline came more noise and wind buffeting with the top down it got played out after about a half hour on the highway, similar to the Boxster. My biggest complaint wasn't the noise from the car, it was noise from the tires of the cars next to my ear. I had a lot of convertibles, owned one or two at a time continuously for about 40 years. With thinning hair and an aversion to hats or lotion I gave in and bought the Cayman. I am more concerned with melanoma than rolling over.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:00 AM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

One thing about the Cayman is the ridiculous amount of carrying capacity for road trips. You can stuff the area inside the hatch, plus the trunk and frunk. The Boxster holds quite a bit less.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:14 PM
Boxsterman
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Pep!RRRR
One thing about the Cayman is the ridiculous amount of carrying capacity for road trips. You can stuff the area inside the hatch, plus the trunk and frunk. The Boxster holds quite a bit less.
True, however, you miss all the fun of the wind in your hair, the people asking you what you do when the top is down and it's cold outside ( I love the look on their faces when I tell them I roll the windowa up), or the bird poop on your noggin!!!!LOL Who needs a hardtop???
Old 11-09-2018, 02:25 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 605 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by Pep!RRRR
True, but with reduced visibility out the center rear view mirror if you've really packed it full, and unless it's tied down really well, more likely to end up with you or on you in a panic stop or worst case a frontal impact.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:54 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

I've had both. I prefered the Boxster S as a fun car, but the cayman S was more "practical" in that a couple folding beach chairs fit in the wayback.

Tom R (post 26): Long time, no see!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Boxster vs Cayman - safety / driving experience