Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCH drive? for California owners

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 12:27 PM
brur
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PCH drive? for California owners

I need to be in Sacramento, a 12-hour drive. It occurred to me I haven't been along the coast in Cali forever. Is the drive from San Fran south worth the Spyder over a more sedate highway car?
Last time I went I spent 10 hours in the airport terminal, so I really could have driven home faster. Is there another road that screams Spyder between nor cal and the Phoenix area?
Actually,going through Las Vegas on the way, so it's going to be some real miles of not much merit.,

tia
Old 10-21-2018, 12:46 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

If you are willing to cross over the 10 from Phoenix you can head into Ojai and take Rt 33 north to 166 and then cut over to PCH and go North. It will take a half day to do this but it’s well worth it and the Spyder is the perfect companion for these roads. Heading back you could go over to Tahoe and then take 395 South which is a beautiful drive with little traffic.

Old 10-21-2018, 04:18 PM
mamow
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perhaps just a mini-detour of sorts, but this diversion (I made last weekend coming from Joshua Tree) involves a bonkers-fun mountain road though Idyllwild. From the 10, jump onto the 74 in Palm Desert, through towns like Ribbonwood to catch the 243 back to the 10 in Banning. Super-beautiful, perfect fo a no-roof ride, and we had virtually no traffic the entire route.

For the coast, I’d seek out the 198 to Carmel Valley Road, though that would prove quite the detour from the more direct route to Sacramento. Gets you to a great part of the coast, though, from there to SF.

Hope that’s helpful.
Old 10-21-2018, 04:31 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

That route from Palm desert is awesome, especially if you don’t hit any traffic.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:09 AM
LarryB
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
If you are willing to cross over the 10 from Phoenix you can head into Ojai and take Rt 33 north to 166 and then cut over to PCH and go North. It will take a half day to do this but it’s well worth it and the Spyder is the perfect companion for these roads. Heading back you could go over to Tahoe and then take 395 South which is a beautiful drive with little traffic.

second this!
Old 10-24-2018, 02:18 PM
Boxsterman
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you want another way, go up the eastern Sierra (hwy 395) and either take hwy 80 or hwy 50 through the mountains to Sac. Not as fast a ride but beautiful just the same.
Old 10-24-2018, 02:24 PM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mamow
Perhaps just a mini-detour of sorts, but this diversion (I made last weekend coming from Joshua Tree) involves a bonkers-fun mountain road though Idyllwild. From the 10, jump onto the 74 in Palm Desert, through towns like Ribbonwood to catch the 243 back to the 10 in Banning. Super-beautiful, perfect fo a no-roof ride, and we had virtually no traffic the entire route.

For the coast, I’d seek out the 198 to Carmel Valley Road, though that would prove quite the detour from the more direct route to Sacramento. Gets you to a great part of the coast, though, from there to SF.

Hope that’s helpful.
This a great detour. I live in Beaumont, which is next door to Banning, and going to Idyllwild is always fun.
Old 10-24-2018, 03:47 PM
brur
Advanced

thanks to all the suggestions, but, I wasn't clear, my actual needs mean I am going to Las Vegas first, then on to Sac, and from there on to the coast.
That means I'm interested in roads between Las Vegas to Sac. and then from the coast towards Phoenix. I have to get to the coast to deposit some remains, so some visual beauty will be enjoyed after that.

It sounds like I will want to get to Banning and then go down through Palm Desert. If I can fit in 33 south to Ojai I'll try that too.No matter what it sounds like everyone is poo-pooing the idea of not taking the Spyder.
Old 10-24-2018, 06:08 PM
LarryB
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I’d take 395 up the back of the Sierra, take 120 over the pass through the Yosemite highlands and then 49 up towards Sacto. From Sacramento take 80 to 101 to Salinas/Montery/Carmel and head down Big Sur since it’s open again. From Cambria/Harmony head back over to 101to Paso Robles, or continue south to San Luis Obispo to 101, cut across 160? To 33 over to Ojai.

Thats is quite a drive and not the fastest way, but lots of smiles in there. You didn’t say when you’re going, but make sure 120 isn’t closed for the season.

and bring your radar detector.
Old 10-27-2018, 03:43 PM
meteor10
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I am so envious of you west side folks. I love the roads out there but have not driven them in years, and certainly not in a Porsche. I have to plan a trip before too long.
Old 11-03-2018, 04:30 PM
brur
Advanced

Had a great trip. A lot of straight roads and a few twisty mountain roads. There was a little bit that felt like a circus ride, the road followed every mound and ditch, up and down, or around a little hill. You'd compress in the bottom and then feel like you were launched into space just as the ground topped off. A little disconcerting because the sight distance was reduced to zero for an instant.
The Pacific Coast Highway was nice, could be nicer without other tourists on the road.
If there was anything I'd like to have it would be an entertainment box with phone and better nav. And a bigger bladder.
Old 11-03-2018, 07:52 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

What route did you take?
Old 11-05-2018, 04:15 PM
brur
Advanced

I ended up taking larryB's route. Some pretty scenery in bits and pieces. I had planned to go through Banning down to Palm Desert but by then I could smell the barn. And there is a sort of fatigue that sets in.
The ocean was nice, been a long time, can't wait for the big one, Arizona could use some ocean front.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:01 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

So you were able to try Route 33? That’s a great run if you hit it at the right time. I ran it north from Ojai on a weekday morning and there was zero traffic. It was like our own private track with perfect weather.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:38 PM
brur
Advanced

I was on it Thursday morning, all clear till I was nearly off the hill. It would be a great run if you could be sure there wasn't a bike around the corner.

Quick Reply: PCH drive? for California owners