Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCCB Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 10:56 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,442 Likes on 835 Posts

for the love of god people, a street car does not need castrol SRF or even Motul RBF600. ATE200 is fine, you are not going to boil fresh ATE on the street.

I honestly have no clue what the OP is on about as even the standard Cayman S brakes are excellent. As for feeling the unsprung weight difference on the street, give me a break.

Take your cars to the track people and you'll see what the brakes are capable of.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:37 AM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

My 2c , although i didnt get to try any on a 987 Spyder , and thought some of the cheaper upgrades mentioned would be fine for mine.

I had pccb on my 996 Turbo S and liked them a lot. When i was shopping for a 981 i tried one with pccb and was not so convinced. They were more grabby and a bit overkill on a lower powered street car. Im sure i would have adapted but it would have meant no sharing with friends and family. Is that a consideration for you ?
Old 10-25-2018, 02:22 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

TJ, I've had the Gen III PCCBs before and quickly adapted to the stronger bite. I found them way easier to modulate and much more communicative than the the standard brakes. But I don't think I'm gonna drop $30k+ on this upgrade. If it were $10-15k, I'd be all in.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:01 PM
Space Coast GT3
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

Thought I'd share: Had the Surface Transforms (ST) Carbon Ceramic Rotors installed. I love them! Much better than the PCCB's. Have three weekends on them now: Sebring, Road Atlanta, and Roebling Road. No data to share other than my opinion. Definitely brake later and with less force on the brake pedal. I think that I am most impressed with is how I "feel" what the brakes are doing in my foot. I hope this makes since. Trail braking is definitely improved. And I think this goes hand in hand with the ability to feel what the brakes are doing in my foot. Takes two good laps to warm them up. Then they remain consistent through out the session and the day. They just don't fad or ever seem to loose bite. Plus I really like the feel and response when I really hammer on them.

Went to flip the pads after 6 days only to notice its not necessary. No wedging yet. So my impression at this time is the pads are lasting much longer too. Be interesting to see how many days I can get out of them. Will report back.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:18 PM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Leave the Spyder at home and just drive the Carrera S, assuming you still have it......
Old 12-07-2018, 04:20 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 497 Likes on 319 Posts

I track my 987.1CS with factory PCCBs. 6 hours on track at COTA and 3 hours on track at MSRH in the last 3 months. The PCCBs are phenomenal on track. Absolutely amazing stopping power and no fade whatsoever, ever. I've been running RE-71R tires. I'd love to keep PCCB on the car forever, but just can't justify the cost for new rotors. At some point I'll switch to a GIroDisc steel rotor conversion, unless I can find a great deal on a set of used ceramic rotors.

Factory PCCB for the 987.1 included a larger master cylinder. It's closer in size to the GT3 master cylinder, but not quite as big. That said, I've heard the 987.1 PCCB master cylinder has the correct front/rear bias for the car, whereas the GT3 master cylinder upgrade does not. Whatever the case, I've got no complaints about mushy, long pedal travel, and no issues with heel-toe braking either. Seems like that's a pretty common complaint with the regular red brakes and MC.

Quick Reply: PCCB Conversion